A Winchester 255?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

A Winchester 255?

Post by Panzercat »

Stumbled across one of these for the first time, and I gotta say it's a fairly handsome looking rifle. The sleek lines are a sharp contrast to the 39a's utilitarian angles, and apparently runs 22wmr.
Gun Collections Online wrote:The Winchester model 255 is a hammer-less lever action rifle produced in the 60s to 1970. This lever action was chambered in the .22 magnum or the .22 wmr caliber and has a tube magazine with a capacity of 11 22 magnum rounds.

The Winchester model 255 is one of the rarest in the 200 series for Winchester lever action rifles which includes the model 270, 290, 250 and 275. The total production for all of the 200 Series family is over 1.6 million according to Winchester. This rifle came in 2 types: The standard and the deluxe. The Winchester 255 Deluxe was the same as the standard except has a fancy walnut Monte Carlo stock and some carving. All Winchester 255s were produced with a 20.5 inch barrel.
Gun Digest wrote:In addition, Winchester prices have a great deal to do with condition and factory originality, not always rarity. For example, a Winchester model 255 is quite rare, but no one seems to care. On the other hand, a standard early Winchester model 1886 is much more common than the model 255, but everyone seems to care about 1886s. An extremely nice 1886, with just a few value-adding features, can cost as much as a brand new sports car. A mint condition model 255 Winchester usually costs less than a one-night stay at a fancy hotel.
I'm intrigued. Anybody ever handle one of these? Not much info is out there about them on the interwebs, so I'm at a loss as to how they run, their quirks and whether I should countermand the impulse to pick one up :) Hell, even fair market value seems a bit tough to come by.

Bulk picture link.
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Re: A Winchester 255?

Post by BenT »

I had the 22 mag. I had it apart many times because it would miss fire too often with a light strike. It was well used so I determined it was worn out. It went down the road , with the purchaser knowing of the problems. I do have a 22LR and it shoots fine. The only drawback is the front sight is not dovetail so you are stuck with the factory sight. I also have the version of that receiver in a pump, can't think of the model #. You don't see them that often for sale. Like any 22LR it is fun too shoot.
bgmkithaca
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bgmkithaca »

One came my way in 1970 in 22 Mag.-Never had a minute of trouble with it and it shot pretty well to boot. Wish I still had it.
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

Bought one for 60.00 back in the day, had it a few years and accuracy went out the window. I tried a good cleaning and every type of ammo I could find to no help. The one thing I didn't do was try a new scope. I sold it to a guy who I latter found out was using it for jacklighting deer. He left it behind a bug shield on his truck one night and lost it never to be seen or heard from again!
One other thing I remembered was you had to lever it a little slow or it would jam.
Now I bought a 22 lr model for a friend and its a good little rifle in every respect.
kfarm
Levergunner

Post by kfarm »

My aunt gave me one back in 65 or 66 never worked right for me. Safety kept falling out so I glued it in and went to a pawn shop and traded it for a 1022. Still got the river.
Carroll
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I had one of these come to me for repair, wouldn't eject, misfires, and when it did go off the accuracy was nil. I had a devil of a time with it tried ironing out the chamber, tried cleaning it HARD, nothing worked. Did you know if you drift out the rear sight and take that cover off the blasted thing has a barrel nut just like a savage 110. A couple whacks with a brass punch with a small tapping hammer and the ring moved about a half turn...instant success accurate, 100% reliable firing and extracting FYI. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

My best friend has a pair, one unfired with box and papers and another he shoots. They look like a nice gun. I've never shot his, maybe I'll ask to try it.