30-30 Glenfield

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JNG
Levergunner 2.0

30-30 Glenfield

Post by JNG »

A bit ago I posted a request for light loads for a 30-30. I got some 115 gc bullets and will soon be loading them up and test them.
This rifle will be going to my grandson. The Gentleman who I got the rifle from, is a life long friend. The problem, This rifle has not been used since the early 70's. The stock has oil stains thru the stock. I sanded it down and used linseed oil on it and now it looks even worse. Me, I could live with it, but I would like to give Jake a pretty rifle.
Replace the stock, get rid of the stain?
Thank you for your thoughts.
Also, why do folks say goodbye to this web site? If you were ill, I could see the goodbye, God bless them but just to quite looking? Go figure.

Thank you,
Joe
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Re: 30-30 Glenfield

Post by plowboy 45 »

Would acetone on just the stain do any good?
Or stain the rest of the wood to match the darker spots, unless it's to dark
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Glenfield's metal is the same as first-quality Marlins, but their stocks are walnut-stained Birch, not good old Black Walnut.

Even though each Marlin levergun's stocks are individually fitted & serial numbered to each receiver, many used stock sets (E-Bay, Gunbroker, etc) will fit another like Marlin with little or no fitting req'd.

I would suggest replacement.

Last edited by Pete44ru on Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

Easy Off oven cleaner to draw the stain out of the wood. See how it looks, then apply oil.
OR
Apply a walnut stain to even out the color. Then add the oil finish
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

What Pete said. Or, you can try getting the stain out, or darkening the rest of the wood to match the stains... and eventually replace the wood. Save the aggravation... replace. I don't know if they use the same patterns, but a good source for straight grain walnut semi-finished stocks is Precision Gun Works. I've done 2 Marlin 1894s with their stocks and a Winchester 94. Just remember, they're called "semi-finished" for a reason!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Griff wrote:What Pete said. Or, you can try getting the stain out, or darkening the rest of the wood to match the stains... and eventually replace the wood. Save the aggravation... replace. I don't know if they use the same patterns, but a good source for straight grain walnut semi-finished stocks is Precision Gun Works. I've done 2 Marlin 1894s with their stocks and a Winchester 94. Just remember, they're called "semi-finished" for a reason!
^^^^^This.....A dark walnut should cover up anything....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Brownells has some stuff called "whiting" I think that's the name. Any how it will pull most of the oil out of wood. I've used it once, did a decent job.
JNG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JNG »

Thanks for all the ideas. Latter this month, I am going to have my left rotor cuff repaired. So my grandson and I will take apart the 30-30, clean her up and stain her. Beats looking at the boob tube, plus you can never get back the time with each other.

Thank for you ideas,
Joe
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

E-Gun Parts (Numrich) has them already finished.

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I've removed oil from some old military guns with a hair dryer. If you heat up the wood the oil will pop up on the surface like beads of sweat on a working man's arms. You can wipe it off with a paper towel.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Rusty wrote:I've removed oil from some old military guns with a hair dryer. If you heat up the wood the oil will pop up on the surface like beads of sweat on a working man's arms. You can wipe it off with a paper towel.
:idea: :idea: :idea: I love this forum....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV