The way I see it!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

The way I see it!

Post by GoatGuy »

I really like my son-in-law. Great guy, funny Aussie accent, raised in Melbourne, Australian, did our immigration thing the legal, hard way. Super good husband and father, good provider, fun, great sense of humor and comes from a nice "down under" family. Phil really does well by my daughter and their 2 adopted kids. I also like poking fun at him from time to time, he never takes me too seriously and gives as good as he gets. That part of my family lives in Austin, TX.

In a text message today he closed with an innocent comment "Hope you're okay and it's not too hot up there. Still looking around for work?

At one time in the past I had mentioned I was looking for some part time work to supplement my income. Really isn't feasible for me as the farm takes a lot of my time especially this time of year, although far less than only a few years ago. Therefore, my reply to him is repeated here. Thought I would share that reply now with my levergun brothers and see if there are any additions I should have included about my living not so large.

Phil, what, ...are you crazy!! Still looking around for work? Naaah, I'm making it GREAT without other income. If by GREAT one means, ...
*watch every penny;
*pay bills on time to avoid late charges;
*maintain an untouchable emergency fund significant enough to handle financial emergencies, as they will most surely come your way at the most unexpected times;
*never leave a room without turning off the lights and ceiling fan and closing the door;
*don't run the air conditioning if the outdoor weather is cool or warm enough to open windows;
*layer warm clothes indoors in winter and cool/nearly nude in summer;
*only use vacuum cleaner when you can see your footprints in the dust, dirt and dog hair (hardwood floors);
*don't run dishwasher unless crammed full, same with washer/dryer for household laundry;
*keep a shopping list of needs so fewer trips to town;
*eliminate frivolous expenses so to reward yourself with a can of 40% deet tick/chigger spray, bottle of inexpensive scotch or six pack of Pabst Blue Ribbon from time to time;
*do as much maintenance for yourself as qualified to do and/or use bartering when necessary;
*roll your own cigarettes instead of buying highly taxed "ready rolled" commercial brands;
*sell extra "stuff" from time to time when necessary;
*grocery shop only at Aldi’s, Sam's or WalMart; avoid name brands, buy generic if possible;
*delay bathing until your odor is so nasty even your dogs won't come near you;
*grow a beard to avoid high cost of razor blades,…a simple pair of scissors will last for umpteen years;
*reread every fiction, nonfiction books and gun related magazines you have in your 40 year collection several times or as a last resort make use of nearest public library;
*ammunition costs, …only shoot your reloads;
*hunt only edible game and learn to process it yourself;
*catch/cook fish from your or neighbor’s pond to occasionally diversify necessary protein requirements;
*limit yourself daily to as few calories as possible without succumbing to malnutrition;
*only own vehicle with high MPG (VW diesel, anyone? 40mpg!) and then only use sparingly or as really necessary;
*buy inexpensive pet food - and remember that dogs need less food/fewer calories in hot summer weather;
*limit haircuts until you can't stand to look in the mirror;
*don't eat out, but accept every dinner invitation you get;
*don't pay high premiums for health insurance (if you need health care that bad just go lie down with a bottle of whiskey, some aspirins, make peace with your family members, your Creator and wait for the inevitable. No one lives forever);
*shop at flea markets and yard sales for really good deals and the occasional treasure;
*rely on your Bible for peace and enlightenment and only Netflix's "1 at a time" $8.95 mo. membership fee and your computer for entertainment

WOW, if I had followed this regimen over the last 50 years I'd have a sh--tload of money now to do some really
fun stuff! :o

Regards, Your father-in-law - Too Soon Old and Too Late Smart

As a 73 year old single man living alone in a much too large home on a small but gorgeously located Ozark Mountain farm acreage in Northwest Arkansas, 20 minutes from Fayetteville, I have no complaints. Truth be known, I've lived my life more like "the grasshopper... than the ants" in the famous fable and have no one but myself to blame for my "supposed" tight financial plight. I have no complaints about my current situation. In reality, I'm truly blessed.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Re: The way I see it!

Post by plowboy 45 »

You and I are livin the good life, well blessed and content
:D
Lassiter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Lassiter »

I'm right there with you, Brother!!
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

As I read down your list, it brought a tear to my eye and a shiver of recognition to my spine. When I see current prices after having been out of the new stuff market for a couple of years looks like I'll have to make your post a sticky.. Thanks, Les
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

The last entry on your list is just about all you need for reading entertainment. Battles, births, murders and resurrections, exotic treks, miracles, sex and adultery, love poems, exciting and peaceful, and a good ending...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Some good stuff in there but there's many points that wouldn't work in my world.

The biggest issue I have is about the cheap pet food.

All of my dogs have lived long healthy lives and I believe that a large part of that is quality
food and regular visits to the vet. The dogs I've lost have all lived to 15-16 years. My Dane is
going to be ten this year and is in excellent health.

Just an observation.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

This sounds like a great guide to live a life , With some modifications pending individual circumstances ( I -like 2ndovc- also throw a lot of cash at my pets _)

I like it :)
----- Doug
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:wink: Who the heck wants to die rich? Rich is doing stuff while you still can...
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

GoatGuy, I have had some good son inlaw fellers but the daughters don't always keep the one I get along with.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

GoatGuy
Well said.
Sounds like you're living right and living the good life. You're an example of "the right stuff" that the youngsters of today could do well to emulate. Hope our grandkids can get this model template of life before they lose sight of it.

Do you garden? Seems like you're in the right spot for the 3-sisters. All you can eat for the cost of the water.

Thanks for posting your blessings, I share them as well.