I'm a grampa, well kinda

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

I'm a grampa, well kinda

Post by hondo1892 »

My daughter bought this little guy a couple of weeks ago. He's really laid back for a puppy. I just hope he stays that way when he grows up. Seems to really like sleeping on my boots too. This may be as close to having any grand kids that my wife and I will get. Oh he's an akita also.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: I'm a grampa, well kinda

Post by Grizz »

great dog and great dog picture. I have a similar picture of mine.

you know what this means, right?

that's your dog now, you're the leader of the pack ...

thanks for posting this
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

Great looking pup, My daughter brought home a Jack Russell about 7 years ago, pretty much anywhere I go, the dog goes, and guess were it sleeps. Be stronger than me.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Precious!
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I've yet to see an ugly puppy, and that one's no exception to the rule - Happy House-breaking ! . ;)

Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

Great pic ! 8) I have always loved Akitas a friend of mine had one when we were in high school. We have only owned two , first was a male , then after him we got a female. Our little girl when she was around that age :

A basketball was her favorite toy :

Enjoy and have fun with your new "grand kid " Take lot's of pictures because just like the two legged kind , they grow up so fast :wink:
Phil
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

Fine looking dog.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Aww... so cute! :D
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Thanks for all the kind words guys. 1894 is your Akita laid back? This little guy is really laid back right now but it may just be because he's a puppy. This is the first Akita that I have ever seen to my knowledge. Everyone that we've talked to has said these loyal and are one family dogs.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

Yes Hondo , she was pretty laid back . We really tried to go overboard with socialization ( people and dogs ) as well as training ( basic manners ) starting very early . We got her ( and us ) into a puppy kindergarten class maybe a week or two before their usual minimum age . The teachers there were great , they could pick up on little things in the puppy s ( as well as the owners ) behaviors that the owners may not notice right away. Much easier to change behaviors early . Then basic obedience with the same teachers , and lots of socialization at parks etc.
We did pretty good with our first Akita but learned a lot as well and wanted to make sure we started her off on the right paw.
They grow up to be a large powerful dog , very smart and strong willed , and fearless. Watch for any small signs of aggression ( dog or people ) , possessiveness , fear , etc. That may be cute in a small pup, but at 80 - 100+ #s .... not so much.
The extra work and time spent on an Akita pup will be repaid many times over by having a great dog 8)
I apologize for such a long winded reply , but I really love the breed.
Phil
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Thanks 1894. We are trying to socialize him as much as possible. My daughter planned on enrolling in an obedience class. I'll try to make sure she does.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

So how is your Grand kid /dog doing so far ?
Phil
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

That's a sure-nuff nice-lookin' pup, there.

Good luck with her.

firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Nice looking granddog there.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Daisyman »

1894 wrote:Yes Hondo , she was pretty laid back . We really tried to go overboard with socialization ( people and dogs ) as well as training ( basic manners ) starting very early . We got her ( and us ) into a puppy kindergarten class maybe a week or two before their usual minimum age . The teachers there were great , they could pick up on little things in the puppy s ( as well as the owners ) behaviors that the owners may not notice right away. Much easier to change behaviors early . Then basic obedience with the same teachers , and lots of socialization at parks etc.
We did pretty good with our first Akita but learned a lot as well and wanted to make sure we started her off on the right paw.
They grow up to be a large powerful dog , very smart and strong willed , and fearless. Watch for any small signs of aggression ( dog or people ) , possessiveness , fear , etc. That may be cute in a small pup, but at 80 - 100+ #s .... not so much.
The extra work and time spent on an Akita pup will be repaid many times over by having a great dog 8)
I apologize for such a long winded reply , but I really love the breed.
Exactly..+1
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Guys, Magwa is doing very well. He is growing like a weed now and has more energy now that all his worms are gone. We just returned this morning from a trip to Maine. Got in about 4:30 A.M. and everyone is pretty exhausted. We went to Acadia N.P. and stayed in Bar Harbor in a cabin. The little guy had car sickness pretty bad the first morning we left but on the way back he didn't have any problems at all. It was hard making it down the sidewalks in Bar Harbor when Magwa was with us. Everyone wanted to say hi and ask about him. We had him out on a couple of small hikes and he did very well on those too. Here is a photo of him and me when we hiked over to Eagle Lake from our cabin. The Maine coast was a beautiful place this time of year.
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

He's a good looking kid that's for sure. Going by that picture, I would want to build a shelter there and stay the rest of summer.