.357 Max---41 mag lever

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JNG
Levergunner 2.0

.357 Max---41 mag lever

Post by JNG »

I have a H&R converted to .357 Maximum , shoots great if you can get one do it! Ohio allows that round as so the 41 mag for deer hunting.
I have a chance to buy a Marlin 41 mag.. Quite a few bucks. If I that the dive and speed the bucks, would I gain anything
in a ~100 yrd to 150 yrd shoot?
Btw, I do think the 41mag would be cool, But the bucks?
Joe
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Re: .357 Max---41 mag lever

Post by Ray Newman »

I am partial to the .41 Magnum. Lucky enough to posses a Blackhawk in that caliber as well as one of the Lipsey's limited run stainless steel Bisley series and a Marlin 1894. Still looking for S&W Model 57.

Right off the bat, the Marlin will be worth more than the H&R. 'Ya' just do not see a .41 Magnum 1894 Marlin very often. Those that I have seen are expensive and from what I read and hear, people buy at the asking price or close to it. As for hunting, especially when a fast follow up second shot is called for, the repeating rifle will be better. Plus in cold weather and wearing gloves, it will be easier to work a lever to reload.

I am a proponent of a heavy large diameter bullet, which the .41 Magnum will handle. Have no idea what weight bullet(s) will shine in the .357 maximum. Might be an idea to compare both rounds in a ballistics table.

But since I am spending your money, buy the Marlin.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
JNG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JNG »

Well the post was all for not, the fella sold it, will not say how much he got. At least the wife is happy.

Joe
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

Too bad you missed out, I enjoy the heck out of mine.
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

Too bad you missed out, I enjoy the heck out of mine.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

the last .41mag Marlin 1894 I saw on Gun Broker was about $800.00... :O
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

yeah'but

44 mags are available and there is nothing a 41 can do that a 44 cannot, EXCEPT, a lot of the 44s have the super-slo-mo twist rate that seriously hampers the performance. so for a repeater, I'd like the 44 with the proper twist rate. That said, a literal ton of venison was made with my son's 44 Marlin shooting white box 240gr jsp. DRT every time.

AND, since you already have the 357max and can practice, you can get pretty quick follow-up shots. I practice with my 20ga by sticking rounds between the fingers on my support hand. It's surprising what you can do.

As to the equivilant terminal ballistics, I don't know. But I do know what the 44 does as a meat gun. It is superb.

If you are a sure shot, the H&R is superb. Light. Handy. or Handi. and paid for. You can make a lot of ammo for the price of the Marlin. Just sayin'
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Good posts here, and not familiar with 357 Max bullet weight but generally would say the 41 mag would outperform it in game because of bullet width. And the 44 mag even more so provided you could get the right match of bullet weight to twist and perhaps most importantly the 44 mag bore disparity between rifles and handguns as posted recently on another thread related to the 44 mag.

Regards,

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Combat Diver
Levergunner

Post by Combat Diver »

I'm a .41 Nut having owned about a dozen Smiths over the years along with a Ruger Blackhawk, 14" TC Contender and a Marlin 1894S. I hunt with my Marlin using a boolit designed specifically for it, Ranch Dog TL 411-255-RF. Boolits weigh almost 270gr with cast with straight wheelweights. I can reach almost 1600 fps with H110/W296. Still trying to take a black bear with it but keep missing the seasons due to being down range.

CD
De Oppresso Liber
Iraq 91,03,04,05,06,08, 09, 15 & 16
Afghanistan 09,10, 11 & 14
JNG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JNG »

Thanks for all the replays. I know the 44 is a great round but, I've had a itch for a 41. Wife told me I did not need it. Wives!
Since when did we need most guns that we have. Go figure!
P.S. The Max is super cool and dead nuts on targets. Get one if you can.
Joe
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Marlin's in .41 mag are scarce. The rarest of all I think.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.