"The Retrieval" got me jonesing for a 'hawk...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Dirty Bob
Levergunner

"The Retrieval" got me jonesing for a 'hawk...

Post by Dirty Bob »

Not long ago, my wife and I saw the independent Civil War era film: The Retrieval (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2635006/?ref_=nv_sr_1). One of the characters carries and uses a light 'hawk, and I was reminded that I really don't have a light axe that's easy to carry like that.

After much Internet searching and reading a bunch of reviews, I finally decided to buy well and cry only once. I ordered a Small Camp Axe from H&B Forge (http://www.hbforge.com/polled-axes/small-camp-axe). These are hand made in Ohio, and I've read good things about them. At $65, it wasn't all that much more than imported, mass-produced stuff, and I love the design of the little axe.

One more factor in its favor is that they call it a camp axe and not a "tomahawk." Texas prohibits carry of tomahawks, and I want to use it for light chopping and splitting kindling when we cook out. It doesn't look very aggressive, unlike some of the light axes and 'hawks I passed on in favor of the H&B Forge axe.

Their delivery time is 10-12 weeks, so I have to wait a while, but I'll post more info when I get my little axe. If it turns out to be as good as I hope, it's a bargain. I hope to make a simple snap-off blade cover that lets me carry it in my pack or tucked into my belt when doing work and wanting a chopping tool close at hand yet not in my way.

In the meantime, take a look at "The Retrieval" if you're looking for something different in the way of a Civil War tale. My wife and I enjoyed it very much.

Respectfully submitted,
Dirty Bob
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: "The Retrieval" got me jonesing for a 'hawk...

Post by gamekeeper »

Thanks Dirty Bob for the heads up on the movie, I'll be looking out for that one. 8)
I'm sure you will get a lot of use out of that "camp axe" I have one that's very similar it sits beside the door and I use it for chopping kindling etc.
Not sure the description of camp axe would stand in a Texas court, it looks more like a Hawk to me. :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Dirty Bob wrote:Texas prohibits carry of tomahawks...
srtungate at Blade Forums wrote: § 46.01. DEFINITIONS. In this chapter:
(1) "Club" means an instrument that is specially
designed, made, or adapted for the purpose of inflicting serious
bodily injury or death by striking a person with the instrument, and
includes but is not limited to the following:
(A) blackjack;
(B) nightstick;
(C) mace;
(D) tomahawk.

Possession of a tomahawk in public could get you a Class A misdemeanor (UCW - Tx Penal Code 46.02).

They are legal to own on your premises.
I've recently purchased several RMJ Tactical - Shrike tomahawks as gifts.

By law, your vehicle is considered to be an extension of your home, and really... nobody is going to bother you out in the woods or in the field unless you're being a duffus.

:idea:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
zzr7ky
Levergunner 1.0

Post by zzr7ky »

I have one of those H&B 'ahrks. It has a 'pole' or hammerish head on the back. My lawyer happened to catcha glimpse of the similar H&B hawk in the door map pocket and got excited, not in a good way. Seems in MI a poled hawk is a tool, and an ordinary hawk is treated less reasonably...

Anyway, I've used it to good advantage from Ny to Alaska, and would replace it if it went missing.

Enjoy!
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

I've always wanted a 'hawk, but in my stomping grounds a machete is a much better tool to have along.
"People who need long explanations at moments when everything depends on instinct have always irritated me." ~ Guy Sajer
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I have a couple of the H&B hawks. I used to mess with throwing the little one a bit, but it was ages ago. They make good gear.

I've used hawks as camp axes and kindling splitters at home, in general a small hatchet is a better tool for chopping and cutting, a hawk is generally a better weapon that can be used for cutting wood and spiltting kindling. When the topic comes up on BushcraftUSA it gets opinions all over the spectrum, but thats my take on it. H&B makes decent quality hawks. I've just ended up using a hatchet for my wood working.

An interesting note, tomahawks are generally thought of as frontier implements, and associated with Indains and frontier whites. They are basically boarding axes for ships. The undercut blade allow it to be used as a hook to grab a ships rail or rigging for boarding, the handle going in from the top keep it from pulling out when used as such. The blade is a weapon and a tool for cutting lines used on grappling hooks used to pull ships together for boarding. They were easily adapted for frontier use, as firearms were single shot flintlocks at the time, and a light fighting axe and large knife could be very handy.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I have a short heavy machete that serves a similar function. Probably a 'weapon' most places but I stay at home mostly. It seems to be a Marine Corps Hospital Corps Bolo.

http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/showt ... id/386312/
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

WOW $65.00 a real deal for something hand forged in the USA.
I've been wanting a hawk ever since watching 1992 "Last of the Mohicans" one of my favorite movies. Machetes are more practical here in Hawaii and more cultural to our locale especially with our sugar cane history. That being said I have personally made a few old hatchets I had a tad more "hawkish" and in ways more practical. Here's a couple:
Before
After (more Viking axe tan hawk)

I also added a long mangrove-wood handle to an old hatchet head leaving the bark on for better grip.

What I'd really like to get is this Italian Hand Axe:
http://www.baryonyxknife.com/faithaaxe.html
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Ji, your bearded axe rework came out great! It looks really good! I like that style.

There was a giant sized version in the middle Hobbit movie. The character Beorn had one, the handle looked like it was about 5' long, and he was supposed to be about 8' tall.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I was looking for something to do the same sort of thing. Something that didn't cost much and I wouldn't cry if it were lost or stolen. I went with this from Eastwing.

Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Been very happy with my Estwing axes as well! Had 3 so far. -Tutt

http://www.estwing.com/axes_outdoor.php
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Gaucho Gringo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gaucho Gringo »

I don't have any Estwing axes but I do have 2 of their hammers(32oz framing & 20oz finish)that I have had for over 30 years now and I can say there is no way to break the steel handle unless you actually try and break it and even then you would have a he** of time at that. I managed to bend the very end of the handle on 20oz finish hammer but only by using it to lever a main beam on a 2 story house with a hydraulic jack. My camp axe is an old Plumb that I have had for over 50 years now.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I saw something about guys that were using Estwing hammers to forge tomahwks and axes out of.

I have a couple Estwing framing hammers, they are amazing tools. The first one I had, a long handled one, I needed to pull some 5" ring shank nails from rough cut sheathing boards on a porch roof. I'd get the claw started under the head by digging it into the wood, then laying back and kicking down on the handle as hard as I could several times to break the nails loose and getting them to start pulling. They make pretty good light excavation tools also.

RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

CowboyTutt wrote:Been very happy with my Estwing axes as well! Had 3 so far. -Tutt

http://www.estwing.com/axes_outdoor.php

great product...still working with mine after all these years...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

I was at Home Depot yesterday and saw some tomohawks. I was suprised they sell them there. Here's a link to what they stock.
http://www.homedepot.com/b/Outdoors-Gar ... max&NCNI-5
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

jkbrea wrote:I was at Home Depot yesterday and saw some tomohawks. I was suprised they sell them there. Here's a link to what they stock.
http://www.homedepot.com/b/Outdoors-Gar ... max&NCNI-5
Ooh I like that Estwing double bit leather handle. I wonder if my local Home Depot stocks these. Wife would kill me if I bought another "toy".
I have one Estwing 20oz finish hammer (curved claw), and one Estwing 20oz framing hammer (straight claw) both which I have owned for almost 30 years, they last forever.

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Hatchets and tomahawks can both be very handy for survival in the woods. Either one would be better for shelter building than a knife. I like hand forged implements. $65 for anything hand forged is a great buy.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Dirty Bob
Levergunner

Post by Dirty Bob »

Thank you for the encouragement, my friends!

FWiedner
: I think you're right. I chose the camp axe, as it has no spike or other "'hawk" features, besides the narrow handle and overall blade shape. The hammer poll should be useful.

AJMD429: That is one gorgeous Hospital Bolo! I always liked those, and I'm glad someone is still using one of them.

Friends Call Me Ji: Wow, I like what you did with that second hatchet! That bearded axe look is beautiful and a great idea! I've modded machetes more than axe heads, but I've got an old hatchet head in the garage that could look better if changed to your style.

jeepnik et al: I've got an Estwing axe, and I love it. It's a very capable tool, and it has ripped through a lot of oak and pecan wood in my hands. I couldn't resist the call of a handmade axe, though. I really like the look and feel of an Estwing 'hawk, but I was looking for something that was less aggressive and more traditional in appearance.

I chose an H&B axe because it should be a whole lot easier to carry around and keep handy. With the narrow handle that slides under a belt, all that's needed is a simple blade cover with a snap, and the little axe goes with me anywhere without getting in the way. I hate the traditional hatchet or hand axe sheaths that attach to the belt and have a top that opens and a hole for the handle to slide down through. I find them slow and cumbersome, and the handle sticks straight down and gets in the way. I wear my axes behind my hip, with the handle tucked through my belt and the sheathed head hooked over it. It rides at an angle and is out of the way until needed. It's perfect when out gathering wood or working near the fire.

This is going to feel like a long wait...

Dirty Bob
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Dirty Bob wrote:Thank you for the encouragement, my friends!

Friends Call Me Ji: I've modded machetes more than axe heads...

Dirty Bob
I'd love to see them!

Here's a couple machetes I did mods on...

Cold Steel Sax
Before
After

Martindale No14 Machete
Before
After (Converted to a Bolo)
Homemade PVC Scabbard Wrapped with Paracord
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Ji, some good looking blades!

Gobbler, got any pics of hawks or axes you've made?
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I prefer a Woodsman's Pal to a regular machete. The brush hook works pretty good, and they just swing better for me.

Ever watch someone who doesn't know how to use a machete? They'll work themselves to death until someone shows them how to let the machete do the work instead of them. See the same sort of thing with axes and hatchets. Probably happens with most edged tools.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

About 15 or so years ago, I decided to canoe from one lake to another, following a small stream. As I neared the other lake the weather decided to change from bright and sunny to dark and storming. I ditched my canoe grabbed my flintlock long rifle and headed cross country in the rain following a old logging that headed in the same direction as my truck. About halfway down the trail I ran into some growling dogs that pretty much stayed in the trees and brush so I couldn't tell for sure how many there were, I think 3 or 4. Anyway I figured I had one shot in the rain so I was pretty glad I had my hawk stuck behind my belt, never used it but those danged dogs followed my the last mile back to the truck, still growling and darting threw the brush. I figured I'd shoot one when I got to the truck but they disappeared then. I know, dumb story but was glad to have my hawk along, just in case.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

jeepnik wrote:I prefer a Woodsman's Pal to a regular machete. The brush hook works pretty good, and they just swing better for me.
Great for fighting against Japs with Samurai swords too. :lol:

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Thanks for the links!

I really like their Viking Axe!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

I like the line on page 8 of the manual: "Never forget that a live American is worth more than a dead enemy".

Eric
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Ragweed Forge sells some nice Allan Foundry hawks & axes at reasonable prices.
https://www.ragweedforge.com/ThrowingCatalog.html#allan

I am particularly attracted to these two:

Viking Ship Builder's Axe

British Belt Axe
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

I enjoyed watching the movie, but if you really want to get you blood pumping about a 'hawk watch The Patriot or Last of the Mohicans. Lots of tomahawk work in both of those.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Dirty Bob
Levergunner

Post by Dirty Bob »

firefuzz wrote:I enjoyed watching the movie, but if you really want to get you blood pumping about a 'hawk watch The Patriot or Last of the Mohicans. Lots of tomahawk work in both of those.

Rob
Agreed! Last of the Mohicans, especially, is an all-time favorite. It's one of the few films that's better than the book, IMHO. But it was great to see a 'hawk in a new film. I liked that we saw how he carried it, and, IIRC, we also saw him cleaning or sharpening it.

I've liked axes and 'hawks just about forever, and I own -- and regularly use -- a few, as well as several machetes. However, I'm always on the lookout for the "best" one for me. I think the one that's being made for me at H&B Forge might just be "the one." At least axes are cheaper than guns or classic cars...or ex-wives! :lol:

All my best,
Dirty Bob
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Dirty Bob wrote: It's one of the few films that's better than the book, IMHO.
Considering that it's only remotely the same story.

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

FWiedner wrote:
Dirty Bob wrote: It's one of the few films that's better than the book, IMHO.
Considering that it's only remotely the same story.

:lol:
Funny, I didn't think the movie was that good. Oh, the cinematography was good, and it had fair actors, but I think the only thing it had in common with the book was the title and the name of the characters. Now it's been years, but I don't recall it being a love story as depicted in the movie.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"