new to me

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

new to me

Post by Mescalero »

The mailman brought an advertisment from Big5 sporting goods yesterday.
They have a " Citadel " 9MM semi auto rifle.
It is a M1 carbine clone with a 10 round magazine.
Might be a nice gun for the smaller statured folks out there.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: new to me

Post by Blaine »

Mescalero wrote:The mailman brought an advertisment from Big5 sporting goods yesterday.
Made by Chiappa....Is that likely to be a quality product? They look like they will run about 400 bucks......They look nice enough....
Nice find, Mescalero. :idea:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Guys on Cast Boolits have a post about them. Sounds like the carbines have a few issues. Would be nice if they get all the bugs worked out.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

3leggedturtle wrote:Guys on Cast Boolits have a post about them. Sounds like the carbines have a few issues. Would be nice if they get all the bugs worked out.

And a better looking magazine.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

2ndovc wrote:
3leggedturtle wrote:Guys on Cast Boolits have a post about them. Sounds like the carbines have a few issues. Would be nice if they get all the bugs worked out.

And a better looking magazine.

jb 8)
Picky, picky, picky! :P
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

That would be a cool gun in a straight sided 30 cal round,....wait,...nevermind. :mrgreen:
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I picked up one of the Citadel M22 rifles a year and a half ago. They only had the polymer stock version. I regretted getting it almost immediately. It is an okay rifle, but the trigger is awful. I called Legacy Sports about purchasing one of the walnut stocks, figuring that it shouldn't be too much, since they only run $40 more than the polymer stock version. Well, they do sell the walnut stock and handguard - for $160! Since I only paid $220 for the whole rifle, I wasn't about to do that!

I ended up ordering a complete stock/handguard set for the M1 Carbine for $69 from CDNN this weekend. I hope it will fit. I still like the idea of having this gun in .22 LR caliber. Especially now that .30 Carbine ammo has skyrocketed!

Goood luck - I hope the 9mm works well for you!
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Looks like it would be a fun, cheap to shoot "plinker", or "home defense" tools...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I think there has been a misunderstanding, I did not buy one; just passing on info as I had not known of it's existence.
I have 2 carbines 1 in .30 caliber and 1 in 5.7MM Johnson.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Mescalero wrote:I think there has been a misunderstanding, I did not buy one; just passing on info as I had not known of it's existence.
I have 2 carbines 1 in .30 caliber and 1 in 5.7MM Johnson.
How long is your Johnson?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

18 inches :shock:
Like a regular carbine.
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

Looks like it is getting a bit personal!! :shock: :?

Steve
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

My brother in law bought one last fall, we put about 40rds. through it before the shroud around the face of the bolt blew off, feeding was erratic and front and rear sight would not stay in place. He sent it back and after a couple months or more he got it back, we took it out this weekend and shot around 30rds. through it, occasional failure to feed and several failures to extract. The pinned front sight still turns around on the barrel, pin does not touch barrel it's drilled to high and the rear dovetail is so big the rear sight falls out during recoil, (which is very minimal in 9mm) Any way it's on it's way back to the factory again. I don't know if he got a lemon or if there all like this but I'd stay away from this one for now. We both thought this would be a great home defense gun but. He also bought the 22 version at the same time, some feeding problems and I glued the sights in place on that one. They both use some cast (potmetal) parts. Hope this helps, hate to see someone spend funds on something a get taken.
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Mescalero - Lucky you! When the gun mag articles on the Melvin Johnson 5.7mm carbine conversion first came out, I really wanted to have one. Unfortunately, I didn't have the (or any) money for one in those by-gone days.:( Do you find it fun to shoot, and to what range is it effective?
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

BlaineG wrote:
Mescalero wrote:The mailman brought an advertisment from Big5 sporting goods yesterday.
Made by Chiappa....Is that likely to be a quality product? They look like they will run about 400 bucks......They look nice enough....
Nice find, Mescalero. :idea:
I don't think I have spoken to a single person that was happy with their purchase after buying anything made by Chiappa. I am pretty sure it is pronounced CHEAPA!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

It is very accurate, I have not pushed the range very much.
You might ask HF Cable about his, I sent him some brass to get started with; he has returned the brass, so I assume he now has the ability to make his own.
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

I have a good experience with Chiappa. Bought a Double Badger 22 mag/ 410 over and under last fall. I had a look at the Savage 42 and couldn't abide the cheap plastic throughout.. The Double Badger is walnut and blued steel, comes with Williams fire sights, and is very solidly made..( took a bit to get it to open easily). Shoots great groups with Federal 40 grain (Troy Landrey Swamp people ammo). My grandson and I got several grouse and a few snowshoe rabbits last fall with it.
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Mescalero wrote:It is very accurate, I have not pushed the range very much.
You might ask HF Cable about his, I sent him some brass to get started with; he has returned the brass, so I assume he now has the ability to make his own.

I always wondered how hard it is to make that brass for the 5.7.

Do they use standard .30 carbine magazines?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

It is real easy, yep standard mags.