What do you carry in your 38 Special?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Re: What do you carry in your 38 Special?

Post by OldWin »

Wow, that's news to me.

I haven't bought any in a few months but I never had trouble finding it in the past. If I stopped somewhere and they had it I would grab a box or two. I don't shoot a lot of it as I handload for practice. I have several boxes of it still.

Maybe they discontinued it, I will have to look around.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Well I was able to borrow an old Lyman HP mold from a friend and today I cast up some 140 gr. bullets with an alloy of 50-50 wheel weights and pure lead. Should be a BHN of about 8, which if I'm not mistaken is what these were designed for. Then they got the powder coat treatment. Kind of like my own version of the Federal Nyclad.

Loaded them on top of a +P charge of Unique. Hope to try some out this weekend. Doubt I'll have time for gel tests, but should at least be able to put them on paper and get a velocity.
20150205_184859.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NRA Life Member
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Powdercoat = cool... but why copper? Lime Green is better for Zombies... :twisted:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Yeah, lots of guys are coating them all kinds of colors, but I like either black, or this copper color just to make them look like "real" bullets. Those bright colors kind of make them look like toy bullets and some idjit gets ahold of mine and thinks its not a real bullet and kills someone with it on "accident", then what? Probably over thinking it, but I like this color too.
NRA Life Member
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

jruppert2,

Well color my face stupid.:oops:

That got bugging me about the bullet weight of the Hornady Critical Defence so I went and looked.
Sure enough, mine are 110gr. also.
Guess you were right. Sorry for the confusion.

I must have been thinking of 125gr. XTP's as I have those too.

Duh!......gotta love night shift. :D
jruppert2
Levergunner

Post by jruppert2 »

Oldwin,
Thanks for the reply. I thought I was the one who was crazy. I bought a Ruger LCR in .38 special about a year ago and had spent a fair amount of time investigating an ammunition type for personal protection. Like I said in my previous post, the idea behind Hornady Critical Defense just makes sense to me. But I would have preferred a larger bullet if Hornady would have made it.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

No, I'm the crazy one apparently.

I like the Critical Defense load even with the lighter bullet.

I also use them in 115gr. 9mm.

For .45, I use regular XTP's in either 200 or 230gr.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

A 150 grain flat nose full wadcutter ( H&G 244 ) over 3.5/Bulleye. This is a full charge load, but not +P that shoots to the sights and give good penetration and wound channel without expansion.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Got a chance to shoot some of the Lyman 140 gr. hollow points on paper and through the chrono. They hit right at point of aim on this target I shot off hand from 25 yards with my Taurus snubbie. Velocity was bookin' right along at 930 fps.

Soon as I get a chance I'll try some in the ballistic gel.
38 target.jpeg
NRA Life Member
southfork
Levergunner 2.0

Post by southfork »

What kind of expansion should one expect out of a snubby with the Hornady 110 grain Critical Defense loads? They were designed for full and easy expansion, right? If so, maybe they won't penetrate very far, especially if they must pass through heavy clothing. What do you think?
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

southfork wrote:What kind of expansion should one expect out of a snubby with the Hornady 110 grain Critical Defense loads? They were designed for full and easy expansion, right? If so, maybe they won't penetrate very far, especially if they must pass through heavy clothing. What do you think?

I'm not really 100% on that either. I haven't done any testing myself yet but plan to at some point.

I haven't been too concerned as I usually only carry a snubbie in the summer when cover garments aren't possible and everyone is lightly dressed.
The rest of the year I carry either my LW Commander or a 2.5" model 19.