Rifle decisions. Human and predators

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Treeman72
Levergunner 2.0

Rifle decisions. Human and predators

Post by Treeman72 »

I've been lucky enough to get a promotion at work. So with my new found cashflow, I am between a choice of two utility rifles. A fun store near me has a Rossi 92 44 mag trapper, but 20" 30-30 rifles are quite common. I don't reload, and 44mag and 30-30 ammo are equally priced. So.....Rossi 44...or new Marlin 30-30. I plan on iron sights for both. Or a peep sight setup. Help?
BrentD

Re: Rifle decisions. Human and predators

Post by BrentD »

Would you consider a vintage rifle like a 93 or 1893 and a longer barrel? With the peep sight, it would be a pretty good rifle for becoming a predator.
carbluesnake
Levergunner 2.0

Post by carbluesnake »

Where will you keep the gun? Will the shorter trapper bbl be an advantage? If so, you may have your answer. Both calibers are certainly adequate; one has a little more testosterone than the other. Iron sights is a good idea.
Treeman72
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Treeman72 »

Living in the Peoples Republic of Yorkistan, my options are limited. 44 ammo and 30-30 are plentiful lately, just if you had to choose, 44 mag trapper or 30-30 20" carbine
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I have chosen the more versatile .30-30 - one reason being that (for a non-reloader) .30-30 ammo is often discounted at big box stores, and .44 Mag usually is not.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Both.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

If its the either or choice; 44 mag. You can also buy 44 special for plinking and small game instead of just full power loads only for 30/30.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I'd prefer the 30wcf (you should reload...it need not be expensive, or complicated....a Classic Lee Loader would nearly fit in your pocket, and could not be easier)

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Classic- ... 733635.uts
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

If you can't have them both, which one would fill your needs better.
How far do you want to shoot? The 30-30 will shoot flatter, further.
If you're going to shoot a lot of full house loads, that 92 steel butt plate could get to be painful after a while, considering full house 44 generates more recoil than full house 30-30.
I've been doing the maths on these two for my next cowboy silhouette rifle so that I can upgrade from my 357 and I've decided the 30-30 would be more useful.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

I would go with the 30-30 with a peep no doubt. Very useful rifle. The 44 trapper has sex appeal but isn't nearly as versatile.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

BlaineG wrote:I'd prefer the 30wcf (you should reload...it need not be expensive, or complicated....a Classic Lee Loader would nearly fit in your pocket, and could not be easier)http://www.cabelas.com/product/Classic- ... 733635.uts
They also make Classic Lee loaders in 44 Mag... :wink:

I'd go for the 44 Mag, since someday you might want a handgun and rifle using the same ammunition, just for ease of inventory. My first centerfire handgun was a 44 Magnum so my first levergun in the mid-70's was a 44 Magnum Marlin. I didn't get a 30-30 levergun until about 30 years later...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

AJMD429 wrote:
BlaineG wrote:I'd prefer the 30wcf (you should reload...it need not be expensive, or complicated....a Classic Lee Loader would nearly fit in your pocket, and could not be easier)http://www.cabelas.com/product/Classic- ... 733635.uts

I'd go for the 44 Mag, since someday you might want a handgun and rifle using the same ammunition, just for ease of inventory. My first centerfire handgun was a 44 Magnum so my first levergun in the mid-70's was a 44 Magnum Marlin. I didn't get a 30-30 levergun until about 30 years later...!
Stop presenting facts that screw up my story.... :oops: :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

If you were going for a pair, pistol and rifle, I'd pick the 44 or 45 just a rifle you cant beat a 30-30 Ive shot all kinds of animals with it from elk to prairie dogs and cast bullets are just plain fun to load & shoot. danny
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

AJMD429 wrote:
They are available in .30-30 too...

Either way, you can't go wrong, and your SHOULD get into (at the very least) using a Whack-A-Load to make low power fodder....
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

As gundownunder mentioned, the recoil of the steel butt plate on a '92 in .44 Magnum can hurt. I have a plate/bar for a collar bone in my right shoulder and 4 full power rounds in my Puma draws blood!

OP presented an either/or question so my choice would be the 30-30. Normally I make a choice that's good for me and not what the market can supply; ammunition, parts, companion guns, etc. I have Lee Loaders in both 30-30 and .44 mag. so ammo is not a problem (along with a whole shed full of presses, dies, tumblers, boolits, powders, casting pots, lead, and mebbe 123 other tools/stuff for rolling my own ammo). Both calibers can be reloaded from pip squeek to T-Rex killers. Both can be great for short range hunting from varmints up to deer and mebbe black bear.

Tough one for sure... :roll:
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Treeman72
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Treeman72 »

If it shoulders nicely, might try a youth Marlin 30-30. I've got a scoped 30-30 already, so I just want a compact rifle with plenty of power that will fit into a scabbard. A versatile "camp" rifle.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Not to drift too much from the OP, but don't forget 357 Mag, 44-40, 38-40, or 32-20... :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

If you decide on a pistol caliber pick 357 magnum or 44 magnum imo. The vintage calibers are hard to supply. My 444, 32 Special, 32-20, and Hornet are a witness to this. I would pick a peep sight for sure.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Another vote for the .357. From 38 waddcutters for plinking and small game hunting, 125 JHP's for self defense, 158 gr. for deer and 180 grain hardcast for short range heavy game, it beats the other 2 in price and versatility. And, all the above loads are factory available. 8)
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

.357 goes w/o saying. But I thought the chice was between .44 & .30-30...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Tough choice.

As you said, from ammunition perspective both are easy to find (until the electoral season rush starts), and either one is easily loaded by hand.

The .44Mag has authority, but the .30-30 is the crowned price of the hunting woods for good reason.

To me it's an issue of comfort. The .44Mag has more recoil that I care for in either long-gun or revolver format, so I chose the .30-30. I don't much like to carry a firearm that wears me out just carrying the thing around, so I have a preference of short, light rifles and carbines when there is a choice.

When it occurred to me that that I wanted a Trapper length hunting rifle, I purchased a (another) Model 94 and turned it into one.

So I'd probably buy the .30-30 and cut it to a Trapper length...

:mrgreen:

:mrgreen:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

I would go with the 30-30. I already have a 44. :twisted:
I am right now in the longest stretch of time in my life without a 30-30, gave my last one to one of my nephews for his first deer rifle, and now I can't seem to bring myself to pay the crazy money they are asking for them. But I do miss not haveing one.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Uhg. Hellva choice between marginalized brand names (I'm assuming you mean a new production marlin). Since you included human predators in the mix, I like my capacity. That would be about the only standout feature a 44mag offers over the thudy-thudy... besides ammo commonality between another pistol you may or may not get.
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
Treeman72
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Treeman72 »

It's a tough one. Both have similar power but deliver it in different ways. I really don't know which one to choose at this point. I appreciate everyone's input thus far.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Treeman72 wrote:It's a tough one. Both have similar power but deliver it in different ways. I really don't know which one to choose at this point. I appreciate everyone's input thus far.
I know I've already chimed in, but a used 336 in so-so condition will be a good shooter, smooth as a baby's butt, and can probably be had for a couple hundred, maybe three hundred bucks..

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

BlaineG wrote:
Treeman72 wrote:It's a tough one. Both have similar power but deliver it in different ways. I really don't know which one to choose at this point. I appreciate everyone's input thus far.
I know I've already chimed in, but a used 336 in so-so condition will be a good shooter, smooth as a baby's butt, and can probably be had for a couple hundred, maybe three hundred bucks..
And I'd agree with him. A used pre remlin marlin is lighty-years more desirable than either brand in its current state IMO.
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I dont have any experience with a Rossi, but most 44 carbines i have had any experience with were "minute of pie plate" shooters at 100 yards, - as in 4-5" groups. I get better accuracy out of a scoped 44 revolver, or my 45/70 Encore pistol- than a lot of 44 carbines

My 45 Trapper shoots groups like a 30/30 - 2" or so , sometimes a bit less, but rarely more. A gun that shoots a 2" group (like any Marlin or Winchester 30/30 should do) - will bring home the bacon if you get an occasional 150 yard shot too.

A 44 carbine i wouldnt trust past 75- 4-5" groups can bring your bullet out of the kill zone on a walking target at 100 yards and the last thing anyone wants is to mortally wound an animal and not recover it
----- Doug
Treeman72
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Treeman72 »

Used Marlins are hard to find, and if you do...it appears they were used as crowbars or walking sticks. Truly atrocious condition. I'll handle some and visit all the funshops I can.