Talley extra low rings?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
nralover
Levergunner 2.0

Talley extra low rings?

Post by nralover »

Anyone have any experience with these on a Marlin 336? I was told that extra lows would work with a 32MM or smaller scope, but I wanted to check with you guys.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Talley extra low rings?

Post by TedH »

I have a set of lows on my 444 with a 32mm scope, and there is approx. 1/8" clearance between the scope and the folded down rear sight. Not sure how much lower the extra lows are, but I would think they would work for you. I can get you better measurement tonight if you want.
NRA Life Member
nralover
Levergunner 2.0

Post by nralover »

TedH wrote:I have a set of lows on my 444 with a 32mm scope, and there is approx. 1/8" clearance between the scope and the folded down rear sight. Not sure how much lower the extra lows are, but I would think they would work for you. I can get you better measurement tonight if you want.
That would be great! Thank you so much. I guess I could remove the rear sight if necessary. I really prefer a low scope for a good cheek weld.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

The most rediculous thing is those three inch tall "see through" mounts. :roll:
NRA Life Member
nralover
Levergunner 2.0

Post by nralover »

TedH wrote:The most rediculous thing is those three inch tall "see through" mounts. :roll:
I wouldn't give you a nickel for a set of those. :)
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

If I'm remembering right, these are "low" Talley's, and the scope is a 32mm. If you want "extra low" then I'd look up the specs on the two and see how much shorter the extra low are. I suspect they will put the bell just a hair's width above the folded rear sight, and certainly they would fit if you removed the rear sight all together.

20150206_164903.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NRA Life Member
nralover
Levergunner 2.0

Post by nralover »

TedH wrote:If I'm remembering right, these are "low" Talley's, and the scope is a 32mm. If you want "extra low" then I'd look up the specs on the two and see how much shorter the extra low are. I suspect they will put the bell just a hair's width above the folded rear sight, and certainly they would fit if you removed the rear sight all together.

20150206_164903.jpg
Thanks for this- it looks like they'll work fine!
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I like Talley lightweight rings a lot. But I wish Talley's website would give you the data you need to make an informed purchase. Same with DNZ. A couple of years ago, I ordered 2 sets of scope base/rings...a high and medium. I ended up using each of them on the opposite gun I had purchased them for, due to the objective size and barrel taper. It stinks to order one and find out it's taller than you needed or not tall enough.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle