glenfield 30-30

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JNG
Levergunner 2.0

glenfield 30-30

Post by JNG »

Hi,
I came into a Glenfield 30-30 a bit back. I have a Winchester .357 with a Williams peep sights. They work fine, but I would like
to put a peep sight that has a clean side on the receiver. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Joe
400short
Levergunner

Re: glenfield 30-30

Post by 400short »

Google Skinner Sights. Good stuff but doesn't have the range of adjustment of the Williams or redfield.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Sometimes when installing a sight on the top of the receiver, you might have to change out the front sight if there is not enough adjustment in the rear.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

The Skinner sight will fit on top. Is your's drilled and tapped for a scope? Those are the holes the Skinner uses. Not the ones on the side.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Skinner also has these barrel mount sights that go in the dovetail for the rear sight.
http://www.skinnersights.com/barrel_mount_6.html

I just got one for my Browning SRC but haven't tried it, yet. It's a smidge lower and more likely to let you use your existing front sight.

They also have a Lo-Pro that gets you even lower (it simply screws into one of the scope mount holes) but it has no windage adjustment
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

vancelw wrote:
They also have a Lo-Pro that gets you even lower (it simply screws into one of the scope mount holes) but it has no windage adjustment
YMMV, but all my receiver peep sights are "set-'n-forget" sights, as I don't shoot in a competition that might require any sight adjustment. (aka: K.I.S.S.)

I've mounted a LoPro on multiple rifles - ALL of them required a very minimal windage adjustment of the front sight (about 1/16") to achieve zero, because the LoPro mounts plumb with the bolt/bore centerline.

E-Z-Peazy.

The LoPro and the Williams WGRS cost about the same - 50% what a full-size Skinner does.

The standard Skinner & the Williams WGRS will require a front sight taller than the issue sight, but it's a good excuse for switching the front sight to a type that may be more appealing to the user, beit,a Gold, Ivory or a FO bead.

vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Pete44ru wrote:
vancelw wrote:
YMMV, but all my receiver peep sights are "set-'n-forget" sights, as I don't shoot in a competition that might require any sight adjustment. (aka: K.I.S.S.)

I've mounted a LoPro on multiple rifles - ALL of them required a very minimal windage adjustment of the front sight (about 1/16") to achieve zero, because the LoPro mounts plumb with the bolt/bore centerline.

You are correct about setting it and leaving it. However, not all rifles have a windage adjustable front sight. In that case, you may not be able to get the Lo-Pro set initially.

I'm currently conversing with Andy to figure out what I can use on my Sabatti double rifle. Not sure I can change out the front sight on it, so I need a very low application that I can adjust windage on to regulate the point of impact.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The Williams WGRS (I think) is also top-only, and is adjustable for both windage and elevation, but isn't a "click-adjustable" one, so typically you adjust it for your main load, then leave it alone.

Hard to beat for $35.99, and quite compact. More 'snag-free' than most in heavy brush, too.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/681364 ... inum-black

I use the aperture at the range to sight in, but remove it for faster and nearly-as-precise use afield. Here's a view through the sight without the aperture:

For about twice the cost, the NECG's will go on anything with a 'Weaver' section, so are great for guns you sometimes scope, or for 'backup' use. They block more of your field-of-view though, vs. the Williams, and you can't just leave the aperture out for 'ghost ring' effect - you'd either have to drill it out larger, or purchase a larger one.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/111883 ... steel-blue

This thread - [Levergun Peep Sights] - has lots of pictures of aperture sights I accumulated.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

IMO, if you trust the physics behind a ghost ring, this set up is just as easy to use, and certainly smaller, and more reliable than a Red Dot Scope for a rifle...(I've never been able to get them to work on a handgun)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Glenfield=Marlin.

XS Sights also makes a fast, usable ghost ring/aperature for them.

A red dot is a bit quicker in the dark and low light, but ghost rings are still quick. Quicker than any other irons I've ever shot, and I've shot pretty much all of them.
JNG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JNG »

Thanks for all the advice. I will look at XS and Williams sights. I have Red dots but, I want a smooth receiver. Thanks again.

Joe