O.T.-Carrying at home

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
lever-4-life
Levergunner 2.0

O.T.-Carrying at home

Post by lever-4-life »

Do you guys ever carry at home? I never thought about it until I read some articles by massad Ayoob. I have a colt 1903 .32 that rides very easy in the strong side waste band, I think that could either solve the problem or buy me enough time to get to a larger handgun or a shotgun. What do you guys think, should I just forget about it, use the colt or go shopping for a larger concealed handgun?
Break on through to the other side!!!
AmBraCol
Webservant

Re: O.T.-Carrying at home

Post by AmBraCol »

lever-4-life wrote:Do you guys ever carry at home? I never thought about it until I read some articles by massad Ayoob. I have a colt 1903 .32 that rides very easy in the strong side waste band, I think that could either solve the problem or buy me enough time to get to a larger handgun or a shotgun. What do you guys think, should I just forget about it, use the colt or go shopping for a larger concealed handgun?
All the time. I put on my pants, I've got the sixgun in a http://www.simplyrugged.com holster riding on my hip. I use Rob's "inside out" loops and the gun rides right there, at home or out and about. I read about folks coming home and putting their gun up, I don't understand why unless they've got shotguns or rifles or other handguns stashed around the place. And even then, 10 feet away can be too far when you come around the corner and find some cretin has broken in while you were gone. Anyway, the little 1903 sure beats fingernails and a bad attitude all hollow. It wouldn't be my first choice, but I'd not want to get shot with one either...
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
JohnnyReb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JohnnyReb »

Don't carry at home; however: 12 gauge pump (unchambered) in the closet next to the front door; .357 revolver in kitchen (backdoor); and .357 revolver in bedroom.

Therefore a gun by the two exterior doors.... also can retreat to either end of the house or bedroom and have access to a loaded firearm.

If my wife or daugthers come to the door and don't know you, they are in possession of a .357. (sometimes in possession of the .357 if they DO know the person but that is another story).

My Win94 in 44 mag is loaded (unchambered) but the other family members do not consider it a defense weapon. I keep that handy for critters......
Redneck suicide note: Here, hold my beer and watch this!!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I always thought a holster was part of my belt...

It's not?

All I know is, if I'm wearing pants, I'm wearing a belt gun.

If I'm in a robe, there's a .32 in the pocket.

If I'm Buff, there's options... :wink:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I'm either carrying at home or have the gun an arm's reach from me.

Don't forget the bathroom !! I keep a gun in there, ever-ready. Last place you want to want a gun...
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Post by don Tomás »

Not as a rule, inside the house. I am out in the middle of BLM land and I have my early warning system in place (Border Collie & Rat Terrier - outside dogs). I can tell by the barking if there are 2 legged or 4 legged varmints about. Then the goto is the 870 Wing Master loaded with high base BB's (Turkey load), 00, and slugs. Outside working the property, Ruger NMV .45C w/250gn cast & 8gn Unique with extra rounds & snake loads available on buckle. Away from the house, Officer's Model.
Tom

Last edited by don Tomás on Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Arms reach for the most part. I never leave home without it, tho. Some interesting knives and machette litter the abode at different locations, as well.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

I live in a pretty quiet community, but am out in the garage at all hours of the night with the door up reloading or cleaning the guns. Then, my 9mm is less than arm's length away.

Just for around the house though, the 9mm and two others are easily accessible to the wife and I.
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

don Tomás wrote: Image
Are those .410 shells you shortened? Is that easier than messing with 'shot cartridges' to load in lieu of bullets using brass cases?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

All the time, even when I am cutting grass or working on the Jeep. hey! this is the East!-------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Sixgun wrote:All the time, ...hey! this is the East!-------Sixgun
Excellent point. :D
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Put the gun on every day at the same time I put my wallet in my pocket and my watch on. If its time to sleep for the night the same stuff goes on the nightstand. Back on again in the morning. Same routine for 20 years.

The only time I can think of that I was unarmed in the past 20 years was while hospitalized and wedding day, unless I traveled out of the US where it was not permitted. While in the pool the gun is not on me but accessible nearby. Can't think of any other times. If the gun is part of you it eliminates having to think about it carrying it or taking it with you.
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

I've always got my gun with me...

"This is my Rifle! This is my Gun! This ones for Killing! This ones for Fun!"
:lol:
Seriously, I usually pack my little S&W Model 36(weapon..not gun) in my pocket when I'm out of the house. Have two Rhodesian Ridgebacks with me in the house at all times, and my 1911 close by as well...got the M14 for gettin' really serious 8)
Semper Fi
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Post by don Tomás »

AJMD429 wrote: Are those .410 shells you shortened? Is that easier than messing with 'shot cartridges' to load in lieu of bullets using brass cases?
Hey AJ. Someone told me that you could modify .410 shotshells for .45C and I had a notion to give it a try. Check out .45COLT SHOTSHELLS for more info. The Speer Shot Capsules are really the way to go. A box of .410 is way too expensive to be cutting up, plus the modified .410 can not be single feed into my Rossi.
Tom
Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

642 in my pocket right now and has been there all day.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

As I write this, I have my Rohrbaugh 9mm in my back pocket, my Bond Snake Slayer derringer on the table beside me on top of my Bible. My high intensity flashligt is on the table, my cell phone on belt. At night, at rest, pistol on night stand with cell phone and light. In morning, in shower, the pistol sits under my towel. Once dressed, its in my pocket.

The flashlight is for if the lights go out either by natural caues or not. The cell incase the phones go out. Two pistols travel with me on foot, three when in my vehicle. The derringer, smith j frame, the rohrbaugh alternate positions in my daily carry. Currently the j-frame is in the truck, the derringer in my pack, the little 9mm in my pocket.

jest can't see a reason not to carry all the time.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

Not in the shower - it stays on the 1/2 wall next to the commode.

I've even taken to open carry when I'm working in the yard. I'm sure somebody will have a local in my driveway at some point, at which time I'll edify him with the fact that open carry is legal everywhere in Pa EXCEPT in a city of the first class (nothing to do with class; means over 1,000,00 population), of which we have only one: Philadelphia. Even then, it's technically legal provided one has a Pa LTCF (license to carry firearms), although I just don't want the hassle that OC in Philly would bring.
Last edited by homefront on Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

homefront wrote:
open carry is legal everywhere in Pa EXCEPT in a city of the first class (nothing to do with class;
Homefront, you sure on that? I really don't know but "have been told" to keep it out of sight. As I stick my 642 in my right hip pocket, the grip sticks out and people have told me I'm wrong. I still do it as I have never been one to listen.------Sixgun oh, your sure right on the Philly thing! :D
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

As I write this, I have 2 Model 71's hanging on a 6X6 Elk rack and my M14 with 20 rounds(Loaded) within reach... :) And two Rhodesian Ridgeback Lion hounds!! My S&W is in my coat pocket...and my 1911 is on my Computer table....I can't wait to get my new Trapper 45LC...I think I'll stick that next to my Grizzly Rug..on the wall... :)
Semper Fi
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

Homefront, you sure on that?
Yeah, I'm sure.
For your reading pleasure :D :
http://paopencarry.org/PennsylvaniaGunRights.pdf
Be sure to print it out and give it to all your Pa friends!
bj94
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bj94 »

This is an interesting topic. We occasionally have a rash of home invasions reported on our news, and that causes me to think about home defense. I start thinking that a Glock with hicaps would be in order.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

homefront wrote:
Homefront, you sure on that?
Yeah, I'm sure.
For your reading pleasure :D :
http://paopencarry.org/PennsylvaniaGunRights.pdf
Be sure to print it out and give it to all your Pa friends!
Thanx Homefront! Excellent reading.-------Sixgun
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

Nothing like living in Pa!

Too bad Jersey is so far gone - it's one great place to fish and duck hunt. :cry:
greasy dan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by greasy dan »

I am reminded of the line from the movie "Brass Target"...
"Hell, he probably SLEEPs with the dam thing".
Answer, Yep. :D
John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart, Henry Fonda and Winchesters. I'm a kid again.
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

I carry a pocket pistol all the time, except where prohibited by law. If I have my pants on, I have a pistol in my pocket. Which pistol depends on the size of my pockets and what I feel like carrying, either a KelTec P3AT (.380) or Taurus PT145 (.45 ACP).

As I type this the .380 is in my pocket and I am two steps from my gun safe. I can open it in about two seconds in the dark (electronic lock). If I have to open the safe in anger the first gun in the rack is a Rem. Mdl. 870, 18" barrel, with four rounds in the magazine, safety off, and ready to rack a #5 high brass turkey load.
Last edited by 66GTO on Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Old Ironsights wrote:I always thought a holster was part of my belt...

It's not?

All I know is, if I'm wearing pants, I'm wearing a belt gun.

If I'm in a robe, there's a .32 in the pocket.

If I'm Buff, there's options... :wink:
:o :o :o :o :o Hopefully an NAA Mini!!! :wink: :lol: :lol: OI, you're a funny man indeed.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Depends on what I'm doing. If I'm building fence or working crawling around on stuff I don't carry a handgun on me, I carry a 5" fixed blade knife. If I'm riding my horses or something along those lines I pack my Glock 17. I pack a full size 1911 most times in public and for work. Sits on my night stand at night w/a rechargeable Maglite next to it.
Old Law Dawg
JohnnyReb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JohnnyReb »

It looks like I am in the vast minority. I carry a weapon in the console of the car and have one in the desk at work but seldom on my person. Most people I know are not as well armed as me.

My clothes won't really allow for CC. It would be very obvious in a pants pocket. Do you fellas have cargo pockets, etc.?
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

JohnnyReb wrote:My clothes won't really allow for CC. It would be very obvious in a pants pocket. Do you fellas have cargo pockets, etc.?

Some folks have to wear some form of uniform which doesn't allow much option for CC. However, the new tiny 380's and 32's are slim and small and should conceal at least as well as a large pocket knife in about any kind of regular slacks or jeans. When I started packing daily I changed my wardrobe - or the way I wore it. I've either got a vest or an untucked shirt on which handily conceals the http://www.simplyrugged.com pancake or the "inside out" holster. I wear nice clothes for the most part, but with an eye to concealed carry. MOST people who know me have NO idea I pack iron. And I like it that way. Anyway, the vest pockets carry a speedloader each or the speedloaders go in my front pockets. Not ideal, but much better than no reloads or a dump pouch. So far I've not found a speedloader pouch that allows for discreet carry. They tend to print worse than the sixgun does.
Paul - in Pereira

JohnnyReb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JohnnyReb »

Don't have a uniform but wear dress slacks. I just tried it with my Walther PPK 32 and it definitely can be noticed.

May have to try a pancake holster.

Guess that is part of the whole idea. You never know who is packing!
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Try one of Rob's pancakes inside your waist band with his "inside out" straps. You'd need to wear an untucked shirt or vest, but that PPK would conceal MUCH easier than my Llama which is the size of a K frame Smith $ Wesson. Also, they make (does Rob make? not sure) special holsters for pocket carry. You might try one of those as well. I moved my wallet to the other side when i first started carrying a large knife in my hip pocket. And now it's second nature. We can train ourselves to almost anything if we want to enough. I even switched my keys from one pocket to the other to make room for reloads. All it takes is some creative thinking and some adjustments to our way of doing things. And sometimes folks figure it's not worth the effort, which is fine. I'd never argue that EVERYONE HAS to be armed, just that everyone should have the right to make that call for themselves.
Paul - in Pereira

66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

JohnnyReb wrote:It looks like I am in the vast minority. I carry a weapon in the console of the car and have one in the desk at work but seldom on my person. Most people I know are not as well armed as me.

My clothes won't really allow for CC. It would be very obvious in a pants pocket. Do you fellas have cargo pockets, etc.?
I am retired so I dress casual most of the time. Yes, most of my pants are cargo pants with large pockets, but I also carry my P3AT in my dress pants when I go to church and no one notices. The semi-autos are flat and with a pocket holster they do not print through the fabric.

This is the KelTec P3AT:
That clip on the side of the pistol can be used to clip it to the inside of the waistband. I just use it to secure it to my Uncle Mikes pocket holster. What you see in my hand is the pistol and 19 rounds of Corbon DPX.
Steve Collins
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Steve Collins »

JohnnyReb wrote:Don't have a uniform but wear dress slacks. I just tried it with my Walther PPK 32 and it definitely can be noticed.

I have one of Rob's pocket holsters for my j-frames. I've worn it with my dress slacks with no bulges or outlines. Pleated trousers make this easier.

You can also try a bellyband, or one of Kramer's holster undershirts. These days, it's pretty silly to go about unarmed. If I'm not in uniform, I have a pistol on, one of my AKs close by.
Draw quickly, shoot accurately!
S&L Training
www.sandltraining.com

NRA Life Member
Iron_Marshal
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Iron_Marshal »

Every day...everywhere. No exceptions.

Down to the mailbox in boxers? Check.

To church? Check.

To the bathroom? Wouldn't want to get caught with my pants down. Check.
Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936
sabashimon
Levergunner

Post by sabashimon »

Pants go on, pistol goes in.
"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace."
Thomas Paine

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."
George Orwell
505stevec
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 505stevec »

someone once said "Its always better to carry than to desperately need it and have only your D*&#K to grab! :lol: truer words were never uttered.
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

JohnnyReb wrote:Don't have a uniform but wear dress slacks. I just tried it with my Walther PPK 32 and it definitely can be noticed.

Keep in mind that we notice our own handguns much more than a casual observer would. When a handgun "prints" it has to be pretty darn obvious before most people would notice.
This is where I refrain from making a tasteless joke about people looking down there in the first place.

Quinn
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

AmBraCol wrote:Also, they make (does Rob make? not sure) special holsters for pocket carry. You might try one of those as well.
Rob makes a pocket holster. I've got one for my 642 which is what I generally use.

I wear blue jeans and have big thighs (since my rowing days) so the 642 is the max I can get away with and not in all pants. Sometimes I switch guns to something more suitable for the clothes I wear. The more cover the bigger the gun. In winter I've carried my New Vaquero. Back when wearing a uniform I carried my Commander or a full-size 1911.

I also carry just in case I spot a coyote or groundhog at Mom's place (or other nefarious 4-legged varmint).
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Thankfully we live in a great country subdivision
with horses, cows, etc.
and there really is no need to....
except for the occasional rattler or mocasin
Slick13
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick13 »

homefront wrote:Not in the shower - it stays on the 1/2 wall next to the commode.

I've even taken to open carry when I'm working in the yard. I'm sure somebody will have a local in my driveway at some point, at which time I'll edify him with the fact that open carry is legal everywhere in Pa EXCEPT in a city of the first class (nothing to do with class; means over 1,000,00 population), of which we have only one: Philadelphia. Even then, it's technically legal provided one has a Pa LTCF (license to carry firearms), although I just don't want the hassle that OC in Philly would bring.
I live in rural PA, and don't have to worry about neighbors calling the cops because there's a pistol on my hip. I've started open carrying my Rodeo when I'm outside working around the house. I have a new pup coming this summer, and will start wearing my Rodeo all the time when outside with him (and probably have a shotgun or levergun handy too). I'm not spending $850 on a setter so some darn coyote, bear, or stray dog can kill him.

Need to make a habit of carrying inside the house too.

~Michael
Slick13
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick13 »

Sixgun wrote:
homefront wrote:
open carry is legal everywhere in Pa EXCEPT in a city of the first class (nothing to do with class;
Homefront, you sure on that? I really don't know but "have been told" to keep it out of sight.
To avoid problems/harrasment/frightenend people in public, keep it out of sight. And to legally keep it out of sight, you must have a carry permit.

As I understand it, if it's legal for you to purchase a handgun in PA, it's legal for you to open carry in PA, other than in your car. To have a loaded handgungun in your car, you need a carry permit.

And by open carry, I've been told that means way out in the open. Don't have that gun covered up at all. I don't have a carry permit, but I do have a Sportsmans permit that lets me carry while I'm hunting or dog training. Usually my orange vest covers up half the gun. A friend of mine said that's a no-no, and the holstered gun needs to be totally exposed.

Personally, IMO if it's legal for you to buy the gun, you should be able to carry it open or concealed without any type of permit, and you should be able to hunt with it without a permit.

~Michael
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

AmBraCol wrote:Some folks have to wear some form of uniform which doesn't allow much option for CC. However, the new tiny 380's and 32's are slim and small and should conceal at least as well as a large pocket knife in about any kind of regular slacks or jeans....
.32 ACP:

There are 2 guns and 31 rounds of ammunition in the 2 pictures below:

A Ruger SP101 and the NAA .32

ImageImage

I count the Ugly as Weapon #3. :shock:
So far I've not found a speedloader pouch that allows for discreet carry. They tend to print worse than the sixgun does.
For .38/.357 Bianchi Speed Strips are the only way to go.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Old Ironsights wrote:
So far I've not found a speedloader pouch that allows for discreet carry. They tend to print worse than the sixgun does.
For .38/.357 Bianchi Speed Strips are the only way to go.

So THAT'S what an Old Ironsights looks like. :shock: Mike Dillon's models are easier on the eyes. ;)

Anyway, I've got a couple of Speed Strip pouches that look a lot like an on-belt coin purse to unsuspecting eyes - but the speed strips I have have gotten brittle and started to crack. They aren't available at the corner gun store down here. (Oh. We don't HAVE a corner gun store down here...) so I've taken to carrying a couple of HK speedloaders in one pocket or another. Well, actually, in different pockets. They don't print bad that way but are not quickly available - they still beat digging through the change and keys and such for loose ammo... not that I carry them with change, keys and such. Anyway, +1 on the Speed strips. They work good but don't stand up to my corrosive perspiration very well over time.
Paul - in Pereira

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Don't forget the under-left-armpit hoslters (I had a Bianchi 'Scoprion' but they've re-named their series since) for small revolvers and medium autos. Under even a 'dress shirt' if it is not snug and tailored, you can pack quite a gun, at least if you are on the thin side. Same under an un-tucked polo-shirt or dark colored tee-shirt. For the dress shirt, you'll have to rip the shirt open with your left hand to get gun out fast, but it's better than not having a gun! Besides, many times your 'risk' events will be somewhat predictable. When working in a hospital pharmacy in Ohio before CCW was legal, I had to be very discreet, so I wore the obligatory dress clothes and tie, but had an ankle holster for a 2" .38. After work I'd go to the bathroom, retreive the gun, and place it in a small paper bag (I saved from lunch every day), then walk home with the gun IN MY HAND :shock: but my middle finger wedged behind the trigger, and my index and thumb holding the bag in place. I wasn't afraid of going to work in daylight, and usually had a ride, and work was not very vulnerable in the IV admixture room, but the walk home at 2 a.m. was through about 14 blocks of ghetto. One night I had to 'drop the bag' when almost home, and crossing another hospital parking lot. The bitter irony is that the event happened (or would have happened if I didn't spoil the party) about 200 yards from a 'security guard' booth.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

I usually carry my Glock 20 with a inside the pants holster in the small of my back. An extra 15 rounder rides in my left hip pocket.
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.