Ruger Single Seven range report

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

Ruger Single Seven range report

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Well, I finally got out and shot my Ruger Single Seven for the first time this week. My goal was to function test the gun, test some handloads, and test the gun with each of its five (5!) calibers it can shoot.

First up, I loaded up seven of my .32 S&W Long reloads, and shot them to test function and foul the bore. I know, when one is shooting indoors at the combat line, fouling the bore is not really an issue, but I wanted the tests on the other calibers equally.

Loading itself presented something of a challenge. This is the first “new model” Ruger single action I’ve owned, and when they stuffed seven rounds in a cylinder the size of a “Single Six”, you need to load the individual chamber as soon as it fully shows when clearing the recoil shield. If you wait to center the chamber on the open loading gate, you can’t get the round in. Once I figured this out, no future problems.

Seven shots, single handed, 21-feet, semi-rapid fire (as fast as I can get away with at the range). Not bad!

For this and all the next test shots, I also shot at 7 yards, seated and supported, but did not have a sandbag or riser, so it was a bit uncomfortable. Worse, though I wore my glasses, new to me this year, for the first time shooting, and they made a huge difference, in an indoor range, not overly well lit, I simply couldn’t see the black front sight through the black rear sight against the black bulls-eye. I ended up having to index my sights to the left of the bulls-eye, and then move over to where I thought the center of the bulls-eye was. Not overly conducive to fine accuracy.
So next, I began with the .32 ACP. This is an older Remington-UMC 71-grain FMJ load. I had a partial box, and fired 7 rounds through it. Functioned flawlessly, but not overly accurate.

Next, I shot seven rounds of Remington .32 S&W (sometimes erroneously referred to as “.32 S&W ‘Short’” due to a .32 S&W Long being out there). These were 85-grain LRN rounds. I had picked up this box last weekend at a gun show in town. Like the .32 ACP, these rounds barely recoiled at all, but unlike the .32 ACP, these were very accurate! I will need to reload these – if I can find some brass for them – as the factory loads are just too expensive!

Third up to bat were my .32 S&W Long reloads. I loaded these up a few weeks ago using 78-grain “Badman Bullets” over 2.0 grains of Alliant Bullseye, a CCI 500 small pistol primer, in new Starline brass. These ended up being perhaps even more mild than the .32 S&W “shorts”, but were extremely accurate! I will save this loading – it will be a great plinker, and a great trainer to start a young person, woman, or smaller person on a centerfire handgun. The report was very low as well – opening up other possibilities.

Fourth up was a cylinder full load of .32 H&R Magnums; 100-grain SJHP loads from Georgia Arms. Unlike the previous loads, you knew you had shot the gun with these. Recoil was more than manageable, especially when one is used to much larger rounds. I had never fired this caliber, and it was fun – and accurate!

Last up was the caliber the gun is listed for – the .327 Federal Magnum. These were 85 grain SJHP loads from Federal. This was the strongest round for sure, but still easy to manage. It was also fun and accurate!

I went back to the FBI target and tried a mixture of rounds, 3 from each caliber so I ended up shooting 10 rounds from each caliber. I ended up with shooting the remainder of fifty rounds of the .32 S&W Longs, since I can easily reload more of these with components on hand.

Here’s the gun and ammunition:

I really like this gun. I did end up ordering a set of Williams “Fire Sights” for it to see if this helps. I will also try it outside as soon as I can with a target that isn’t black. Or maybe I’ll go “old school” and simply paint the front sight orange! I suspect that this gun is capable of a lot more accuracy, if only I can see the sights!
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Re: Ruger Single Seven range report

Post by plowboy 45 »

Perty impressive, think I may have to check into one of these
1894c

Post by 1894c »

GREAT report...nice gun, very cool cartridge too... :)
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Jay, you might try painting the front sight with some Testors yellow paint like they use on model car kits.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

1892 wrote:GREAT report...nice gun, very cool cartridge too... :)
Ditto.... :mrgreen:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Fiberoptic sights help old guys see in the dim light.

I put a Hi-Viz fiberoptic bead on my dad's (then new, 10+ years ago) 870. At hallway distances in dim light he could barely see the end of the barrel.

Even with a nightlight half way down the hall.

Added the Hi-Viz and suddenly he goes "THERE it is....." big glowing green dot.

He hasn't had to shoot anyone since 1969 but the fiberoptic sure helps his visibility if he has to.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I tried the fire sight set on my Ruger Mark III and didn't care for the rear fiber optic. I have a fiber optic front sight on my 327 Blackhawk and I like that set up better. The problem is that I couldn't just buy the front Williams fire sight alone, just the set. I need to call Williams direct and just order the front sight for the single seven. You will like the fiber optics and end up putting them on most your guns like have.

I plan on doing some hunting with mine over New years. Bunnies Beware!
junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

Post by junkbug »

What is the muzzle blast like with the .327 mag ammo?
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Nice :mrgreen: how was the muzzle blast and flash with full power loads?
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

3leggedturtle wrote:Nice :mrgreen: how was the muzzle blast and flash with full power loads?
Many moons ago, I had the opportunity to shoot a Convertable 32 H&R/32-20....both calibres were loud..very loud. :shock: I can't remember the bbl length....6-ish, I think....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Full power 327 loads are loud and obnoxious . They chronied out my 5 1/2 barrel Blackhawk at 1650 FPS with 100 grain Federal ammo.

But I don't use the extra case capacity for more powder , I use more lead. 118gr lead at 1000FPS. Pleasant and powerful.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

BenT wrote:Full power 327 loads are loud and obnoxious . They chronied out my 5 1/2 barrel Blackhawk at 1650 FPS with 100 grain Federal ammo.

But I don't use the extra case capacity for more powder , I use more lead. 118gr lead at 1000FPS. Pleasant and powerful.
15 yards out of a tree stand, and that deer is yours with a headshot, I'm thinking....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
ethang
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ethang »

Try the 100 grain 327 loads from Federal. They have shot the best so far in mine.

Screaming little things. Very loud and overkill for anything short of a coyote or jackrabbit, but they are really fun when you touch one off. I am curious about how well the soft points will penetrate.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

thanks for a excellent report! had a 32 H&R Ruger 30 years ago best dang revolver ever for varmint & plinking, gonna have to reconsider my love for the 45 colt

ollogger
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

junkbug wrote:What is the muzzle blast like with the .327 mag ammo?

I know others think it is a lot, but I did not think so. Certainly more report, recoil and flash than the anemic .32 ACP, .32 S&W ("short") and .32 S&W Long cartridges I was firing before, but similar (albeit a bit more on all counts) to the .32 H&R Magnum.

Then again, someone was touching off a .44 Magnum in the lane next to me, so maybe it is just a relative thing! :D

To me, one of the worst rounds for blast/flash/noise is the 7.62x25mm Tokarev. Spits fire like a flamer-thrower. This was nothing compared to that.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

BenT wrote:Full power 327 loads are loud and obnoxious . They chronied out my 5 1/2 barrel Blackhawk at 1650 FPS with 100 grain Federal ammo.

I didn't find it obnoxious, but remember I was firing 85-grain loads in the .327 Federal Magnum. Then again, my barrel is the shorter 4 & 5/8".

I had the same idea on the 115-118gr bullets. I have a ton for the .32-20 WCF, so I will handload these when I get the dies.

I'm thinking a set of .32 H&R Magnum dies should be able to load both the .32 H&R Magnum and the .327 Federal Magnum. Which dies did you use?
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

What about that extra set of grips you were talking about awhile back? Do they fit this one?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Ysabel Kid wrote:

I didn't find it obnoxious, but remember I was firing 85-grain loads in the .327 Federal Magnum. Then again, my barrel is the shorter 4 & 5/8".

I had the same idea on the 115-118gr bullets. I have a ton for the .32-20 WCF, so I will handload these when I get the dies.

I'm thinking a set of .32 H&R Magnum dies should be able to load both the .32 H&R Magnum and the .327 Federal Magnum. Which dies did you use?
I use 32 H&R dies , works for all the handgun 32's except 32 ACP. With ear protection, the full loads are fun to shoot,but without not so much. Mine is my woods walking gun and I use it without ear protection. I want to keep it subsonic , so I might as well use a heavier bullet and make it harder hitting. I use H4227 with my loads ,something a little slower burning than AA5 that I use with 32 H&R .
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

BenT wrote:
Ysabel Kid wrote:

I use 32 H&R dies , works for all the handgun 32's except 32 ACP. With ear protection, the full loads are fun to shoot,but without not so much. Mine is my woods walking gun and I use it without ear protection. I want to keep it subsonic , so I might as well use a heavier bullet and make it harder hitting. I use H4227 with my loads ,something a little slower burning than AA5 that I use with 32 H&R .
Ah - that makes sense. Yes, letting off either the .32 H&R Magnum or the .327 Federal Magnum without hearing protection would be decidingly unpleasant! :shock: Actually, I'm a wimp in that department. I can tolerate .22 rifles, outdoors, without hearing protection, and the occasion shotgun, but anything else just hurts like heck. In fact, I'm willing to bet that my hearing loss is directly attributable to shooting .22's and shotguns without hearing protection. :(
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Rusty wrote:What about that extra set of grips you were talking about awhile back? Do they fit this one?
The Sambar stag panels on the gun fit nicely. I purchased these from Old No.7 years ago, and they were on an "old model" Ruger Black Hawk in .30 carbine for years. I still think a set of black buffalo horn grips would set off the stainless steel nicely. If I find a set that fits, I will swap them out (assuming they look as good as I think they do) and return the stag to the blued Black Hawk, where the contrast really shows nicely.

The other "challenge" on grips I had was for my "old model" Ruger Single Six. I purchased a set of grips from Esmeralda for them. Beautiful wood, with a celtic knot design carved into them. Problem is that they did not fit well, leaving a fairly significant gap at the top of each panel. I fault this to Ruger. I love their single-action guns, but the grips have changed so frequently that it is almost impossible to keep up with them. It is like hand-fitting a Colt.

For the Single Six, I purchased a set of ivory-polymer panels with large black Ruger logos on them. They fit great. Funny thing is they also fit the Single Seven, but the Esmeralda set does not fit the Single Seven either. Go figure!