ballistic calculator

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JNG
Levergunner 2.0

ballistic calculator

Post by JNG »

I am looking in getting a ballistic calculator for my reloading. I road the short bus on computers, so I need an easy to understand type. I am looking for the bullet drop at various yards. I also wish to have it for rifle and handgun. Any thoughts?
Thank you,
Joe
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: ballistic calculator

Post by Griff »

There are several on-line ballistic calculators: JBM probably has the most versatile, but others are just as good as long as you have the necessary information to put into the calculator.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

I have always used the Sierra Infinity software - I started using it with Beamhit's sniper trainer system, and it works well. It is not free, though.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

if you have a 'SmartPhone' there's the Strelock ballistic calculator that is pretty nice...
A regular computer version also exists, according to Google...
44MagHunter uses it and likes it.

I've used the AmmoGuide.com website one on occasion (membership $19/year or so) and I guess you can just 'buy' it - http://www.2000shareware.com/info/ammog ... or/128546/

I wound up purchasing two though -
Neither is 'smooth' but clearly written by shooters/ballisticians/engineers. Reminds me of the 'Chrony' chronograph. Neither was expensive though.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I've test driven some of the software. I run into the problem of the software wanting information that I have no idea about. Particularly about the bullet. Most of us are wanting a close idea for hunting purposes, not an algorithm to land a bullet on a moving comet :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

I've been using Pointblank for years. It used to be freeware, not sure if it still is.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

BlaineG wrote:Most of us are wanting a close idea for hunting purposes, not an algorithm to land a bullet on a moving comet :lol:
Speak for yourself, Blaine, my favorite targets are moving comets...

....not that I ever manage to actually hit any of them... :lol:

[disclaimer - no, I actually never shoot without a proper backstop - and the Milky Way is not one :wink: ]
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

AJMD429 wrote:
BlaineG wrote:Most of us are wanting a close idea for hunting purposes, not an algorithm to land a bullet on a moving comet :lol:
Speak for yourself, Blaine, my favorite targets are moving comets...

....not that I ever manage to actually hit any of them... :lol:

[disclaimer - no, I actually never shoot without a proper backstop - and the Milky Way is not one :wink: ]
I'm not talking about East LA LowRiders..... :roll:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Comet and Cupid and Donner and Blitzen .... :twisted:
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

my old Hornady 3rd edition manual has all the info I ever needed on loads from 17 rem to 45 cal
hand guns also, from 50 to 1000 yards with foot lbs of energy & bullet drop
after over 30 years its still my go to manual

ollogger
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

There are a lot of free ones but I paid for Oehler's Ballistic Explorer years ago and love it. There may be better and cheaper ones out there, but I've never had any reason to look.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

BlaineG wrote:I've test driven some of the software. I run into the problem of the software wanting information that I have no idea about. Particularly about the bullet. Most of us are wanting a close idea for hunting purposes, not an algorithm to land a bullet on a moving comet :lol:
One of the things I like about the Seirra software is they include a pretty comprehensive list of bullets, all with the necessary data.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

7.62 Precision wrote:
BlaineG wrote:I've test driven some of the software. I run into the problem of the software wanting information that I have no idea about. Particularly about the bullet. Most of us are wanting a close idea for hunting purposes, not an algorithm to land a bullet on a moving comet :lol:
One of the things I like about the Seirra software is they include a pretty comprehensive list of bullets, all with the necessary data.
Thanks 8)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

BlaineG wrote: Thanks 8)
No problem. I like the ability to choose a bullet out of a list and have all the necessary data automatically load.

Few things frustrate me more than going to manufacturer's websites and reading boxes to try to figure out what data to plug in on a particular bullet, only to find it isn't listed anywhere easy to find. Of course some manufacturers inflate their bullet data, so that throws it off anyway.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I forgot, I have the "Lee Shooter" program, which besides the ballistic calculator has a number of other calculators plus a firearm and reloading logs.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JNG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JNG »

Thank you all for your post. Santa Maw is going to leave of my choice under the tree this Christmas. At this time I
am still reviewing my options.

Thanks again,
Joe
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

Joe,
Just in case there is something else on your list that might get bumped, you can use this website anytime, from anywhere, for free. And it is darn good for most anything you might want or need to do. In fact, I prefer it over all others, regardless of price.

http://www.jbmballistics.com/index.shtml
Steelbanger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Steelbanger »

Since you need to know the velocity of your loads in order to calculate trajectories, etc. you'll be needing a chronograph. My late wife gifted me with a PACT back in the 90's. The PACT has a built-in ballistic calculator that does so many things and is easy to understand. Another key bit of information you'll need is the ballistic coefficient of your chosen bullet and the PACT has a library of bullet makes from most of the bullet providers or you can enter your information like I often do with cast bullets. Other selections will allow you to calculate energy, etc. It has a printer too so you can output on paper and save your data.

So there's my recommendation. Get a PACT and be prepared to be amazed.

Sales pitch over.
"He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present, than the living man."
Antoine de Saint-Expuéry

Steelbanger, N.R.A. Life
PRPA Member
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
JNG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JNG »

I had a chronograph some years ago until the wind pushed a 45 through it. Been using a friends, it does not have all that info
in it. Might be a time to look at another one. Thanks of the idea.

Joe
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

7.62 Precision wrote:Few things frustrate me more than going to manufacturer's websites and reading boxes to try to figure out what data to plug in on a particular bullet, only to find it isn't listed anywhere easy to find. Of course some manufacturers inflate their bullet data, so that throws it off anyway.
Yep.

The BEST way to get the ballistic coefficient is probably to be daring and put your chronograph out about 100 yards, and get velocities there in addition to the 10-15 ft range like normal.

BrentD

Post by BrentD »

Exactly.

a chrony with the "brains" separate from the "eyes" is a good thing.

Shoot at least 10 at each distance to calculate the BC.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Or, you could look at the little graph on the ammo web sites, establish a ratio between the long/short range calculations, and extrapolate it out. Unless you are in a bench rest competition, you'll never notice a difference for hunting.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV