S&W M&P SHIELD...new to me "BUG/EDC"...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
1894c

S&W M&P SHIELD...new to me "BUG/EDC"...

Post by 1894c »

I've been a Glock fanboy since 1996, been carrying either a G-26/27 in the front pocket of my uniform pants for the last 8 years. BUT as much as I really appreciate the G-26/27 platform I been thinking that a single-stack may be a better option.

Lately a couple of LEO's that I hang with purchased the M&P Shield for their BUG (when the Shield first came out I had one for a month, but was foolish and let it go for the next shinny object). So after shooting theirs I picked another one up two months ago (9mm) and have been shooting and carrying it ever since.

I find a single-stack 9mm easier to carry than the Glock 26, especially if you pocket carry. I would recommend the M&P Shield for anyone looking for a BUG/EDC...first time in years that I'm actually carrying a pistol that is Made in the USA... :)
1028142221.jpg
1028142221a.jpg
38850-DEFAULT-L.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Re: S&W M&P SHIELD...new to me "BUG/EDC"...

Post by MrMurphy »

I've been shooting Glocks since 1992, carrying one since 1999 concealed since 2000.

I carry a full size Glock as my duty gun. A Shield is my backup/off duty piece. Because the baby Glocks are still as chunky as a regular one. The new G42 (is that the preemie Glock?) is a .380..

I can put a Shield on with two reloads and have 23 rounds ready of 9mm, in something that feels like i'm wearing a cell phone. I've carried mine six months without any issues.

On duty I use a Mika vest holster strapped right to my armor. Quick, simple and I forget it's on 30 seconds after I holster.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

MrMurphy wrote:I've been shooting Glocks since 1992, carrying one since 1999 concealed since 2000.

I carry a full size Glock as my duty gun. A Shield is my backup/off duty piece. Because the baby Glocks are still as chunky as a regular one. The new G42 (is that the preemie Glock?) is a .380..

I can put a Shield on with two reloads and have 23 rounds ready of 9mm, in something that feels like i'm wearing a cell phone. I've carried mine six months without any issues.

On duty I use a Mika vest holster strapped right to my armor. Quick, simple and I forget it's on 30 seconds after I holster.
MrMurphy -- it's taken me allot of years to come to the same conclusion as you did...my favorite GLOCKS have always been the "Baby Glock", but the M&P Shield just works better, conceals better, and I don't feel that I've lost that much in the round count--I too am carrying two xtra mags...thank you for your response... Code-4 ... :)
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Great pistols!! I've had mine for about 6 mos. 500+ rounds of HPs and FMJs and not a single MF!!
Lighter than my G26 and more concealable with only two less rounds.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I've shot the 26, 27 and 33 quite a bit. Nearly bought a 26 many times over, but the fact it was just as fat as any other Glock kept me from it. It's actually easier to hide the bigger 19 for most people.

I carried a G30 for 14 years before going to the Shield. The 30 still has a place, but for everyday all day, all night and all the next day carry (which has happened a few times) where absolutely nobody can find out it's there, the Shield hides just as well as a PPk (and it's lighter I believe) in a more serious caliber.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I sold my 9mm Shield the first day I shot my .45 XDS. Same size, better ergonomics, and a whole lot more accurate. Just my .02
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

jdad wrote:I sold my 9mm Shield the first day I shot my .45 XDS. Same size, better ergonomics, and a whole lot more accurate. Just my .02
jdad-- I fully accept you .02 cents --- the .45XDs was that "next shinny object" that I sold my 1st Shield for...but for some reason the XDs and my thumb knuckle did not match-up well, and that little gun beat the heck out of my thumb (only pistol to ever do that too...shot and carried it for 6 months, before we parted company). I really like the basic design and concept of the XDs (especially the "GRIP SAFETY" and the .45acp caliber) and would consider that to be another good option over the Glock 26/27 too... :)
Last edited by 1894c on Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I think Glock missed a major share of the market by coming out with the M42 in .380. A single stack 9mm would have been a much better seller.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

They're working on it.

Just remember, Glock is an AUSTRIAN company, and they think of all the world not just the U.S.

There are a lot of countries in the world where 9mm is not an option for civilian shooters, and .380 is. Or 9X21mm IMI is required (like Italy), etc.

They'll probably sell the stuff out of these in Brazil, where .38/.380 is the largest allowed caliber. Same with Mexico, where 9mm/.45 are not allowed as military calibers, but .380, .38 Super etc are.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

MrMurphy wrote:
all night and all the next day carry (which has happened a few times) where absolutely nobody can find out it's there, the Shield hides just as well as a PPk (and it's lighter I believe) in a more serious caliber.
MrMurphy -- I've owned both Walther PPK/s (23 ozs.) and a PPK (21 ozs) in the past and was thinking the same as you did when I was considering the Shield. The Shield is even lighter than a Glock 26...

I may consider a Glock single-stack, BUT with the issues that the Glock 36 and 42 have had I'll wait and see. S&W seems to know how to make a single-stack work, but them I'm reminded of the S&W Model 39, S&W's original single-stack... :)
731721_01_smith_and_wesson_model_39_640.jpg
SmithWesson_39-2a.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

1892 wrote:
jdad wrote:I sold my 9mm Shield the first day I shot my .45 XDS. Same size, better ergonomics, and a whole lot more accurate. Just my .02
jdad-- I fully accept you .02 cents --- the .45XDs was that "next shinny object" that I sold my 1st Shield for...but for some reason the XDs and my thumb knuckle did not match-up well, and that little gun beat the heck out of my thumb (only pistol to ever do that too...shot and carried it for 6 months, before we departed company). I really like the basic design and concept of the XDs (especially the thumb safety and the .45acp caliber) and would consider that to be another good option over the Glock 26/27 too... :)

I think you meant the "grip" safety. The Shield has the slide/thumb safety. I know of one other person that had the same thumb issue, but he has grizzly size paws. :D
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

I prefer the PM9 to the Shield. Mine has been flawless with near 2k rounds through it.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

MrMurphy wrote:They're working on it.

Just remember, Glock is an AUSTRIAN company, and they think of all the world not just the U.S.

There are a lot of countries in the world where 9mm is not an option for civilian shooters, and .380 is. Or 9X21mm IMI is required (like Italy), etc.

They'll probably sell the stuff out of these in Brazil, where .38/.380 is the largest allowed caliber. Same with Mexico, where 9mm/.45 are not allowed as military calibers, but .380, .38 Super etc are.

Glock has had a full size .380 for sale in other countries for a long time, but none have been sold here. I know there were problems with the G42 when it came out but Jr never had any problems with his.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

The G25 and G28 are respectively, the size of a G19 and G26.

So the G42 will continue to sell very well over in those other countries as well. I have shot the 25 and handled the 28. Despite being .380s, they shoot more like 9's, if not a bit harsher.
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

Since Illinois finially passed a concealed carry law and I received my permit the shield has been my primary ccw. While I'm really a fan of the 1911 and I have carried my lightweight Commander, the Shield is lighter, slimmer and just easier to carry. I bought mine in .40cal, and in several hundred rounds it has not malfunctioned. Some told me they thought it would be too snappy, but I don't find that a problem at all. I like the fact it has a thumb safety and carry mine in the on position, I don't find it any more difficult to disengage than my 1911s and gives me some peace of mind. I installed a bit thinner Dawson Precision fibre optic front sight to help these old eyes pick up the sights a little easier. Overall I really like this gun as EDC and is is USA made.
Boreman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Boreman »

I don't have any experience with the Glocks and some experience with the S&W.I looked at a lot of different compact pistols. I finally went with Rugers SR9c. I installed a mini laser sight and had a custom holster made for the combo. It is very comfortable to shoot and accurate in my hands. Do any of you have any experience with Rugers LC9 or the LCP or make any comparisons with the Glocks or the S&W"s ???????????
Model-71's forever !!!!
NRA Patriot Life Member
Endowment level
FOPA #5
GOA,Inc
WVCDL,INC
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Boreman wrote:I don't have any experience with the Glocks and some experience with the S&W.I looked at a lot of different compact pistols. I finally went with Rugers SR9c. I installed a mini laser sight and had a custom holster made for the combo. It is very comfortable to shoot and accurate in my hands. Do any of you have any experience with Rugers LC9 or the LCP or make any comparisons with the Glocks or the S&W"s ???????????
I've had an LCP with the factory Crimson Trace for a few years. For what it is, I'm completely happy with it. I don't holster, but slip it in the top left pocket of my always-on leather MC Vest. It's not a plinker as it rips the "urine" out of the top of my trigger finger.. That S&W looks good, though....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

BlaineG wrote:
Boreman wrote:I don't have any experience with the Glocks and some experience with the S&W.I looked at a lot of different compact pistols. I finally went with Rugers SR9c. I installed a mini laser sight and had a custom holster made for the combo. It is very comfortable to shoot and accurate in my hands. Do any of you have any experience with Rugers LC9 or the LCP or make any comparisons with the Glocks or the S&W"s ???????????
I've had an LCP with the factory Crimson Trace for a few years. For what it is, I'm completely happy with it. I don't holster, but slip it in the top left pocket of my always-on leather MC Vest.
Same here, basically, though I do use a holster on occasion (but if I'm going to wear a holster, 'll stick with my Para P-12 in 45 ACP, or P-14 if I don't want "compact").

My daughter got one in 40 S&W, and prefers it; I was ready to trade her my 9mm for it, if she couldn't do followup shots fast enough with the 40, but she does really well with it. ULTRA reliable - my 9mm has fed every random 9mm factory and reload I can stuff in it 100% of the time for several thousand rounds. I like the short-grip and magazine base, but the ability to step up to higher capacity with the longer magazine and grip extention (carry the shorty in the pocket, and the longer extra magazine separately).

For compact CCW, I really do like the P-12 (12 rounds of 45 ACP in an 'Officers Model' size gun), but you have to keep in mind that 12 rounds of 45 ACP adds almost half a pound of weight; like the Glocks, it is smaller, but still wide/fat, and not light weight (whereas the Ruger SR-9C is very lightweight).

Fortunately, as a civilian, I don't have to go 'undercover' where nobody can know I'm carrying, unless I decide to be a lawbreaker and go somewhere like D.C. where CCW is verboten by the authorities. Being in a CCW-friendly state, and self-employed, I could carry my 7-1/2" Redhawk or Desert Eagle in a shoulder holster if I really wanted (or my 300 Blk AR-pistol, I suppose :shock: ), but unless the bad guys start wearing armor, or we have a bunch of tigers escape from the zoo, I feel 45 ACP or 44 Special is the most power (and noise) I need to deal with. With today's materials and ammo, 40 and 9mm don't seem to lose much, and probably are better for 'fast followup shots', but personally I'd feel a bit leery relying on 380 IF the others were available. However, many of my patients work in places where CCW is frowned upon if not outright prohibited, or are women whose work uniform or dress won't accommodate much bigger than a Ruger LCP, so thankfully the ammomakers have come up with tons of great 380 ACP.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

so thankfully the ammomakers have come up with tons of great 380 ACP.
For penetration, I have found the cheapo Winchester White Box flat nose FMJ to be better than the JHPs out there ( I think Grizz tested this and published results on this forum).....Still, I use a premium Winchester JHP in mine.....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

I have been carrying a small Keltec .380 (pocket carry) for several years.
Last week in the gun store I spotted a .40 Shield and after handling it I just had to have it.
It rides really well and comfortable on my hip in a Galco holster which was originally for my Glock 17.
I have not had the opportunity to shoot it yet but I was assured I would like it by my friend who carries one also.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Stan in SC wrote:I have been carrying a small Keltec .380 (pocket carry) for several years.
Last week in the gun store I spotted a .40 Shield and after handling it I just had to have it.
It rides really well and comfortable on my hip in a Galco holster which was originally for my Glock 17.
I have not had the opportunity to shoot it yet but I was assured I would like it by my friend who carries one also.

Stan in SC
How does the size compare to the KelTec?

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Rusty wrote:I think Glock missed a major share of the market by coming out with the M42 in .380. A single stack 9mm would have been a much better seller.
I wish I had my single stack G36 back :( I gave my Ex Jerk SIL a good deal on it....
Last edited by Blaine on Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

I have been thinking about adding a 9mm to the battery again.......occasionally use it for EDC. The M&P is near the top of my list because of its good rep and the fact that they make a similar 22 rimfire for cheap practice.

My oldest son is seeking his CHL this winter so I might need two.......darn kids keep stealing my toys!!!!!
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

Blaine, it is quite a bit bigger than the Kel Tec. Probably twice the size.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Stan in SC wrote:Blaine, it is quite a bit bigger than the Kel Tec. Probably twice the size.

Stan in SC
Thanks...

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

The Kel-tec is what you carry when you can't carry a gun.

It's smaller than some cell phones.

A Shield is the size of a PPk. It has usable sights, a good trigger, and can easily group well at 20 yards. I have no issue putting a full magazine into the upper torso at 25m with one. Even with a laser, a P3AT or LCP will have severe issues past about 15 yards (going by previous experience with them).
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

MrMurphy wrote:The Kel-tec is what you carry when you can't carry a gun.

A Shield is the size of a PPk. It has usable sights, a good trigger, and can easily group well at 20 yards. I have no issue putting a full magazine into the upper torso at 25m with one. Even with a laser, a P3AT or LCP will have severe issues past about 15 yards (going by previous experience with them).
I would opine that anything past 15 yards is not what an EDC would be used for. I cannot speak to your professional use, however :idea: (I can't see the laser dot at fifty feet in bright sunlight, either).

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
1894c

Post by 1894c »

I haven't shot the LC9 yet, but own the LCP (no other reason than I really liked it), and Blaine is absolutely correct, the LCP just simply goes away unless you need it. And I find the LCP to be accurate and reliable too...doesn't bite me though, because I don't have huge fingers... :)

RANGE REPORT: put 150 rounds of Blazer 115gr. hardball through the M&P Shield, I wasn't smart enough to take my cell-phone to show target pics, but that auto can shoot...I'm going to qualify with it in two weeks so I shot targets at 7yd, 15yd, and 20yd (I'm ready). I found the M&P Shield to be accurate, reliable, and pleasant to shoot...this one I will keep... :)
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

BlaineG wrote:

I would opine that anything past 15 yards is not what an EDC would be used for. I cannot speak to your professional use, however :idea: (I can't see the laser dot at fifty feet in bright sunlight, either).

Measure the length of a Wal-Mart aisle.

Consider the distance between halfway up a movie theater seating area and the front doors, or rear doors.

15 yards is not very far.

An LCP or P3AT is the gun equivalent of walking into a swordfight with a pocketknife. While it can get the job done, a bigger pistol is more effective. A very slightly bigger pistol with better sights, while not optimal for long shots, CAN do what an LCP can just barely consider.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Every time I drew the P3AT out of my pocket, my thumb would hit the mag release. Not a good thing to happen if I ever had to fire more than one shot. It was replaced with the Shield that was replaced with the XDS.

I did just buy a used Kahr P380 and after 250 mixed rounds, without one problem, it's also good to go.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

MrMurphy wrote:
BlaineG wrote:

Measure the length of a Wal-Mart aisle.

Consider the distance between halfway up a movie theater seating area and the front doors, or rear doors.

15 yards is not very far.

An LCP or P3AT is the gun equivalent of walking into a swordfight with a pocketknife. While it can get the job done, a bigger pistol is more effective. A very slightly bigger pistol with better sights, while not optimal for long shots, CAN do what an LCP can just barely consider.
Ok....I opine that I hope those areas of which you speak are devoid of anyone but the bad guy....and, I doubt that very much.

I'll accept walking into a sword fight with a slightly smaller sword. I'm sure you are a good shot, but then so am I.... 8)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

I too own a Ruger LCP, I find mine reliable and accurate enough that out to 10yds or so I can hold a 3" or so group. Its very good for pocket carry and thats generally what I do when sitting around the house in a pair of lounge pants or shorts. I don't however use it for edc, only when I just can't carry something larger. I usually carry the Shield or the Colt CCO IWB under a untucked shirt. Either gun carrys 8rds of either .40 or .45 ammo, and pretty much dissappears and carries comfortable. The Shield is so thin and light and has good sights and while not equivilent to a 1911 trigger, it is still very good. I really like the CCO, but the Shield sees more use.