WooHoo! I can Hear Again!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

WooHoo! I can Hear Again!

Post by Griff »

About 6-7 years ago I noticed that my tinnitus was getting worse and fluctuating from one day to the next. Went for a hearing test and was told to "grin & bear it!" They told me I'd lost 28% in my left ear. Fast forward to this early summer. Restarted the process to dispute my service disability. 1st step was a physical. There, I was advised that I needed a hearing test. I thought, this'll be a waste of time.

Anyway, the VA doc gave me the full gamut of tests... Big surprise... NOT! Loss in let ear was down to 65% and of the 100 words they use, I could only understand 35 of 'em! She found some high frequency loss in the right ear and ordered a hearing aid for it and an MRI to rule out a tumor on the left audio nerve.

It came up clean and I picked up the aid for the right ear. WOW! You might not think that loss of 3% in the high freqs is much... but I'm tellin' ya, music is SO much better. While there, she experimented with aids for the left ear... saying that if I wanted, we could try using one to block the tinnitus and enhance some of the hearing in that ear. She was very clear that this might not do much and could make the tinnitus seem worse and not help my hearing at all. At worse it would make all those garbled noises in the left ear louder!

So the device came in and I scored an appt. to pick it up and have it "tuned". So... she hung this "thing" around my neck and stuck the hearing aid in my ear. She fiddled with her laptop for a minute... then, asked, "So, okay, how does that sound?"

I was GOBSMACKED! "STEREO!" I mean, okay the left ear ain't perfect, noises are a lil' fuzzy, bit for the 1st time in 6 or 7 years I can hear and understand the majority of what's said on my left side! My $2K Alpine stereo ain't wasted! Maybe I'll no longer have to imitate Linda Blair in the "Exorcist" to hear what's being said on my left side!!!

Best of all, my wife's happier! The TV doesn't have to be at rock concert volume! I didn't have to ask, "what;d they say" nearly as often!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Re: WooHoo! I can Hear Again!

Post by Shasta »

I hear ya, Griff! (No pun intended)

I just got hearing aids myself, to the tune of well over $2,000 as I am not a vet and my medical insurance doesn't cover hearing loss. Mine are currently set at 60% and they will gradually up the volume as I get used to them. It is sure a marvel how they can dial those things in using that little thingy around the neck. The guy says he can program them to help with my constant tinnitus, but so far I haven't noticed any improvement there.
As you said, it does make the TV require less volume and it makes the wife a whole lot happier! :D

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I'm only 50, but too many guns, motorcycles, sirens.....and probably music :oops: ....have taken their toll.
Several years ago I caught myself tilting my head, accusing people of mumbling, using CC on the TV...all the things 'old' people do.

I've been debating on whether my hearing loss was bad enough to justify a hearing aid or not. Maybe just for deer season!!!! :D
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Good for you! It's really bad with me as the ringing is so loud it has been working on my nerves.

We get tested every year at work and the guy doing the testing had me take the test over as he said he never saw results that were so dismal.

There's just something about gun guys.....think nothing of spending 3 g's on a nice Colt but balk at 2 g's to improve my life.

Thanks for the inspiration Griff-----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Be sure to pay extra for the Wife Option; they set it so that you can turn on or off the frequencies of women's voices. Comes in handy sometimes... :twisted:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

I need aids myself. My family has laid down the law as I can't hear them too often. I'm going to get two I want stereo!!
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Cool beans Griff! I'm happy for ya. Tinnitis sucks.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

WHAT, you saw a bear again.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I am really happy for you Griff. I don't hear a lot of talk anymore and I really miss the services in church by not hearing everything. At my age I probably won't spend the money on a hearing aid.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

JerryB wrote:I am really happy for you Griff. I don't hear a lot of talk anymore and I really miss the services in church by not hearing everything. At my age I probably won't spend the money on a hearing aid.
I always figured that when the time came, I'd just wear a pair of THESE. People would think I was strange, but they do already, and once I'm an official Old Man, strange becomes merely 'eccentric'... :D

Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I can just about hear a pin drop, but words all sound mumbled.....Tinnitus and considerable loss of high range......
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

AJMD429 wrote:
JerryB wrote:I am really happy for you Griff. I don't hear a lot of talk anymore and I really miss the services in church by not hearing everything. At my age I probably won't spend the money on a hearing aid.
I always figured that when the time came, I'd just wear a pair of THESE. People would think I was strange, but they do already, and once I'm an official Old Man, strange becomes merely 'eccentric'... :D

The problem with those is they get so hot. Or I would be wearing them in the woods when I stand hunt. I can turn mine up and it amplifies very well.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

I'm 62...LOTS of Rock and Roll , motorcycles, air-nailers and firearms...........My hearing is terrible. But I went to the hearing doctor and I had a huge wax build up in my ears compounded by the use of ear plugs while shooting and riding motorcycles. Doctor cleaned them out and I couldn't believe the difference! My grandkids sounded SOOOO different. And my diesel Dodge was loud as hell!

Now I go back every 6 months for a "dig".....
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

walks with gun wrote:WHAT, you saw a bear again.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

...I guess I'm next, although if I get fixed up, that takes away my excuse that I didn't hear the sweet lady reciting the list of chores...

Now about that tiny type that you guys all use here...
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

JohndeFresno wrote:

...I guess I'm next, although if I get fixed up, that takes away my excuse that I didn't hear the sweet lady reciting the list of chores...

Holding the "ctrl" key, tap the "+" key until you can make it out. Don't go blamin' us cause you don't wanna buy "cheaters"!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Ms Boots
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ms Boots »

Griff wrote:About 6-7 years ago I noticed that my tinnitus was getting worse and fluctuating from one day to the next. Went for a hearing test and was told to "grin & bear it!" They told me I'd lost 28% in my left ear.
So the device came in and I scored an appt. to pick it up and have it "tuned". So... she hung this "thing" around my neck and stuck the hearing aid in my ear. She fiddled with her laptop for a minute... then, asked, "So, okay, how does that sound?"

I was GOBSMACKED! "STEREO!" I mean, okay the left ear ain't perfect, noises are a lil' fuzzy, bit for the 1st time in 6 or 7 years I can hear and understand the majority of what's said on my left side! My $2K Alpine stereo ain't wasted! Maybe I'll no longer have to imitate Linda Blair in the "Exorcist" to hear what's being said on my left side!!!

Best of all, my wife's happier! The TV doesn't have to be at rock concert volume! I didn't have to ask, "what;d they say" nearly as often!
WHOOO HOOOO great news Griff!!! :)
Psalms 83:18 Dan 2:44
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Awesome. Very happy for you
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Dusty Texian
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dusty Texian »

Good for you Griff. ,,,,,DT
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Griff wrote:
JohndeFresno wrote:

Holding the "ctrl" key, tap the "+" key until you can make it out. Don't go blamin' us cause you don't wanna buy "cheaters"!
OK, you got me there.
Now, congrats on your good fortune, Griff, whatever it is... my memory isn't what it used to be.
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

Happy for you MR Griff

I had tinnitus bad for a lot of years, then in 2003 my father came to live with me and I took care of him until he passed in 2010, during this time the loudest noise I was exposed to was the phone ringing.

One morning after the funeral I was sitting out on the deck, it was super quite and I noticed no ringing in my ears and so far still good. I am not sure when it went away, that morning was the first time in many a year that i woke from a full night's rest and had more than a moment to myself.

---------J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

For my job blue tooth is necessary. Currently my BT looks just like a behind the ear aid. I'm researching aids that include blue tooth now.

Anyone use an aid and a seperate blue tooth?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Canuck Bob wrote:For my job blue tooth is necessary. Currently my BT looks just like a behind the ear aid. I'm researching aids that include blue tooth now.

Anyone use an aid and a seperate blue tooth?
Yes, driving I have to use a separate headset, and I chose a blue-tooth. It sits basically over the aid, and since the aid has slots to allow sound in, I can still wear the aid and blue-tooth, but if I know the conversation is going to be long, I generally take the aid out.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I was in my 20s when I found out that that constant ringing noise that I have always heard is not something that everyone hears. I do not actually understand what silence truly is. I will be getting hearing aids within a year or two. I can hear Cicadas all year around.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

piller wrote:I was in my 20s when I found out that that constant ringing noise that I have always heard is not something that everyone hears. I do not actually understand what silence truly is. I will be getting hearing aids within a year or two. I can hear Cicadas all year around.
I don't know what I have, and the VA sent me for a test where they claimed that I have no problems. It is now getting worse (started after the service, where I was trying to pick up stuff on a radio while posted directly in front of artillery, but at time the loss appeared to be slight).

I don't hear the ringing that everyone describes. I hear a high pitched hissing almost constantly, like a gas leak. Odd. And then I have that "discrimination hearing loss" I think it's called - where if my wife is doing the dishes, I cannot hear the dialog on TV; or I miss a conversation at a restaurant if several people are talking at the table.

I GUESS that's tinnitis, although the contractor for the VA insisted that my hearing loss was minimal, when I was tested a few years ago. I DO remember the operator telling me just to press the button, even if I THOUGHT I heard a tone. I foolishly complied. I wasn't encumbered with trust issues as much as I should have been then, because it was a paramedical facility! Seeing all of the exposes these last few years, I now suspect that the hearing center got paid a kickback from the gubbmint for those cases that they deemed unworthy of medical assistance.

But then again, how would I know when that was, when my memory is lousy???? Maybe I wasn't there at all. :lol:
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Glad to "hear" you have got some relief Griff. Losing any of the senses is a big deal and impacts your life profoundly.

Sadly, I was born without common sense, but still manage a somewhat normal life even though I was denied disability. :D

It seems anyone who lives like most of us on the forum has had their hearing take some hard knocks ( Military, guns, motorcycles, chain saws, farming.......).
Glad you're "hearing the music" once again. :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Great news for you, sir :D
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
Glenn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Glenn »

Unless they're waterproof (are any?) be very careful!! My FIL walked from our front door to his car in the driveway, wearing a brimmed hat, while it was snowing, and a snowflake got in one of his 'aids and killed it!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Glenn, Siemens does make a model that is water-proof. Aquaris.

John, yes, you're very much dependent on the facility and the staff. It's why I choose to go to the one that 60 miles from me, vs the one that's in downtown Dallas and only 32 miles! I'd go back... and yes, you only press the button WHEN you HEAR a sound. Here's a good discussion on tinnitus: http://hearing.siemens.com/us/en/hearin ... -loss.html The only hard and fast rule, is that there's nothing predictable about how it affects folks. I tell folks that what I hear is just about what you hear if you were to hold a conch shell up to your ear. But, yes, an air or gas leak is very descriptive.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Thanks, Griff.

I'll study the link first thing in the morning.

I'll take a look at how other vets are treated out of Fresno for this condition and take your advice; consider another facility, if necessary. So far the docs and staff in Fresno have been very helpful with the Agent Orange thing, but it was a subcontractor that did my hearing test. I might just insist on another one and state what happened.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

GRIFF,

WENT TO MY PRIMARY CARE PHYSICIAN. HE TESTED ME WITH A PORTABLE DEVICE AND NOTICED SIGNIFICANT HEARING LOSS IN THE LEFT EAR. MY WIFE SAYS I TALK LOUDLY, NOW. DID YOU NOTICE?

GUESS I'LL GO BACK TO VA AND RE-TEST TO SEE IF THEY MIGHT PAY FOR AT LEAST SOME OF MY HEARING DUE TO MY "SERVICE" EXPERIENCE (directly in front of 155's during fire missions, other stuff).
(Note the lack of ear protection for my buddies in the right corner of the photo)

I'm glad you posted - it nudged me into action. I am told that, even though my hearing loss was not dramatic right after the Service, my chances are still quite good that I can get some disability, or at least have the VA help with the expense of a hearing aid. I'll see. Now for an appointment with the VA doctor.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Left ear hearing got roached one night when a 175 SP firing H&I at that mountain let fly when I was about 50yds out front...
One usually knew they were about to fire because the engine would be running...However as my luck would have it the engine wasn't running ....Apparently because their fire mission had been delayed... They got the order to fire when I was out in front of it...
What I'm trying to say is I wasn't fool enough to knowingly walk out in front of one of those suckers if I knew it was about to fire :lol:

VA denied my claim in 2008 because nothing was reported at the time of my injury and I had signed things at the time of my discharge stating I had no injuries .....
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Ben_Rumson wrote:Image
Left ear hearing got roached one night when a 175 SP firing H&I at that mountain let fly when I was about 50yds out front...
One usually knew they were about to fire because the engine would be running...However as my luck would have it the engine wasn't running ....Apparently because their fire mission had been delayed... They got the order to fire when I was out in front of it...
What I'm trying to say is I wasn't fool enough to knowingly walk out in front of one of those suckers if I knew it was about to fire :lol:

VA denied my claim in 2008 because nothing was reported at the time of my injury and I had signed things at the time of my discharge stating I had no injuries .....
Ben,

Go back again... I was in the same boat... nothing reported at the time... signed away that I was in good health and no noted lingering issues, except my back... well documented and even qualifying for a Navy disability... but the primary clinic asked questions that had never been asked of me... namely, were you exposed to loud noises in the Service... I checked "Yes" in that column, and they scheduled me for a hearing test at the VA facility of my choice. I chose one that has a reputation of being honest and sensitive to Vet's needs.

The best advice I got, early on... was, be forceful and consistent... Maybe I got a softy for a hearing doc... but she's also easy on the eyes!!!!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

AJMD429 wrote:Be sure to pay extra for the Wife Option; they set it so that you can turn on or off the frequencies of women's voices. Comes in handy sometimes... :twisted:
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Thanks Griff..
Maybe I'll check into it...Been alot of change @ the VA of late... Hopefully the Drizella that tested me has moved on...
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
mark08
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mark08 »

Got my hearing aids two weeks ago. 90% loss in right ear, 25% loss in left ear and the lost of much of my higher freg. Have an aid for each ear that I remote control from my cell phone. The TV volume went from 38-40 down to 18-22. Haven't said,,, HUH or I did not hear you in two weeks. VA covers hearing aids for most but I am not one of them. My insurance does not cover any of the cost.... Be sitting down when you price them!!!! I have friends who have worn hearing aids for years and they all like COSCO... I don't have a Cosco near me. I learned to shop around because there is over 100% makeup on hearing aids. A local hearing center made me a deal on the top of the line STARKEY , still cost $2.5 g's.. I have been very pleased and those around me have stopped whispering just to aggravate me. The technology in today's hearing aids is amazing. Need to go back in a few days to get them fine tuned and add wife option. I recommend hearing aids for anyone who needs them and the VA, hearing aid companies and others can help with the cost.. I have to go now there are 37 squeaks in my floors I have to fix.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

She who must be obeyed laid down the law. Go get your hearing fixed! I'm looking at Starkey as a friend raves about his. Going to get the blue tooth option in one ear I think. The most feedback I get is, "quite shouting"!
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Way to go, Griff!!! Im happy for you, and proud of you for getting the hearing help! A hearing aid is unnecessarily hard for too many people!
mark08
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mark08 »

With my aids I can answer phone calls with my aids or use the phone or the speaker.. Can use the phone's microphone as additional input or can record.