327 federal Single Seven feels good

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

327 federal Single Seven feels good

Post by BenT »

Well my Single seven came in last week and feels great. It says Single Seven right on it, how cool is that ! I thought I would post it with the other Rugers.

Top is a Blackhawk 8 shot 327 fed , middle Single Seven, and bottom 32 H&R.

The Blackhawk is one of my favorites to shoot , but this Single Seven might over take it on the fun scale.

I thought I would take out all the 32's to see some sun.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 327 federal Single Seven feels good

Post by ollogger »

There all very nice!! but when you get to blazing away with the 7 please let us know!!
Jeepers I don't need another hand gun :mrgreen:

ollogger
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Drool -- Drool

Is that a custom or an early production Ruger?

I like the H&R also (chambered for the 32 H&R no doubt? ) -- cool 8)
----- Doug
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I've heard people who haven't yet handled them say "they're too bulky; they shouldn't have tried to put that extra round in", but if you look at Ruger's mid-size cylinders, there is lots of extra room for more holes, which actually makes the gun LIGHTER without adding any cylinder 'bulk'.

Once folks have actually handled one, they seem to like them.

I think the 32's are great cartridges, especially if you stick with non-deafening loads. People try to make them out-power the 357 Magnum, and that's probably not their best niche. Like most straight-wall case cartridges, they seem at their best throwing fairly heavy-for-caliber loads, or shooting lighter bullets at modest velocities for plinking or small pest control.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

"People try to make them out-power the 357 Magnum"

Exactamundo.

Besides, Ruger already built the best small caliber ear splitter, the .30 Carbine Blackhawk.

Post by piller »

I like the .327 using 115 grain lead bullets meant for a .32-20 (.32 WCF) and a very mild load of 4.6 grains of Universal. It smokes a little, but it is accurate and very mild. My Chronograph shows it to be getting 1,050 FPS out of PillHer's SP101, and that is a very comfortable and not too loud load to shoot. For situations where I might encounter a wild pig, I am thinking that this load might just work as a backup. I have not yet tested it for penetration, but that is a long bullet and the velocity should not be high enough to make it mushroom too suddenly. It should have good penetration. I will have a backup in case I actually get a chance to use it on a pig.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

piller wrote:I like the .327 using 115 grain lead bullets meant for a .32-20 (.32 WCF) and a very mild load of 4.6 grains of Universal. It smokes a little, but it is accurate and very mild. My Chronograph shows it to be getting 1,050 FPS out of PillHer's SP101, and that is a very comfortable and not too loud load to shoot. For situations where I might encounter a wild pig, I am thinking that this load might just work as a backup. I have not yet tested it for penetration, but that is a long bullet and the velocity should not be high enough to make it mushroom too suddenly. It should have good penetration. I will have a backup in case I actually get a chance to use it on a pig.
That is exactly how I load them 115gr at about 1000 fps. Pleasant to shoot.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Got the call that mine arrived today! :D

Will try to pick it up as soon as I can, and will post pictures and a range report a soon as possible thereafter! :D :D :D
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Got the call that mine arrived today! :D

Will try to pick it up as soon as I can, and will post pictures and a range report a soon as possible thereafter! :D :D :D
The cylinder gap on mine was fine (see the pics) . The brushed stainless was the same quality as my Blackhawk. The only issue was that one grip is much prouder of the metal than the other, that is a easy fix. I'm breaking mine in with 32 h&r jacketed since my 327 is all lead. Waiting for the pics.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Ben, cut it out, would ya?

:lol:
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Very nice!

Richard Mann already killed a deer with his 327 Single Seven.

http://ramworks.net/blog/the-327-federa ... cartridge/.
NRA Life Member
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Questions come up about barrel to cylinder gap. So I did some measurements.

32 H&R .004
Blackhawk .006
Single Seven .008

The Blackhawk is very accurate so I don't see an extra .002 in the single seven a problem.

As far as shooting deer goes , double lung shot will do it just as it works with a 32-20 .
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

BenT wrote:

The cylinder gap on mine was fine (see the pics) . The brushed stainless was the same quality as my Blackhawk. The only issue was that one grip is much prouder of the metal than the other, that is a easy fix. I'm breaking mine in with 32 h&r jacketed since my 327 is all lead. Waiting for the pics.
Picked mine up yesterday. Really great fit and finish. This is my first "modern" Ruger single-action; all my others are "Old Models". May take a bit to get used to. I got the 4&5/8" barrel model, as I see this being a kit gun. Need to snap some pictures soon.

Haven't checked, but which grip frame does this one have? Is it the same as the Single-Six, or unique?
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Ysabel Kid wrote:
BenT wrote:

Picked mine up yesterday. Really great fit and finish. This is my first "modern" Ruger single-action; all my others are "Old Models". May take a bit to get used to. I got the 4&5/8" barrel model, as I see this being a kit gun. Need to snap some pictures soon.

Haven't checked, but which grip frame does this one have? Is it the same as the Single-Six, or unique?

I think the grip frame is called the XR3 or something like that. It has narrower steel frame and I believe gun fighter grips which are thinner in the middle. I am sure the cowboy action guys will correct me on this , because I am not sure what it is called. But I like it!
ethang
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ethang »

Ysabel Kid wrote:
BenT wrote:

Can you please check your BC gap and report back either here or a PM? I am trying to get a gauge of the differences that are being shipped out..

Ethan
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Very nice collection BenT

love the Ruger single six....sevens...nines and tens........they need and eight :wink:

although I would love to have one of each and every round out there.....
and shoot the heck out of them....
I don't get the 327......when the 38/357 will do just fine...

Whats the difference ?
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

My friend/ dealer is trying to get his hands on one for me. I stopped by one of the big "box" shops yesterday that carry most Rugers, and was told they didn't exist. Last time I go in there!

Hoping to get one!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
ethang
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ethang »

RIHMFIRE wrote:Very nice collection BenT

love the Ruger single six....sevens...nines and tens........

I don't get the 327......when the 38/357 will do just fine...

Whats the difference ?
If you could get a 38/357 on a Single six frame I would agree with you..

the 32 Mag/327 on a Single six frame is the cat's meow until then.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Well I shot the single seven today. I used 32 H&R jacket rounds that I had loaded up. My 327 rounds are all 115gr cast , I have this illusion that I need to break it in on jacketed bullets to smooth out any tooling marks. Weather it makes a difference or not , I am not sure , but it helps me sleep at night.

I shot fifty rounds at 15 yards at a bench with my hands resting on a shooting bag. By the end of the fifty rounds i was getting about 1 3/4 " group for the seven shots. I then went to shoot the 6 in steel targets at 20 yards and hit 6 out 7 times. As far as handgun shooting skills , I suck. I am not a very good shot, why I keep buying handguns is beyond me. I only shoot paper when first sighting in , after that I just shoot steel. The BOOM , CLANK, GIGGLE GIGGLE makes me feel good , like I accomplished something. So being a casual gunslinger that I am. I feel if a skunk, raccoon or bunny presents itself within 20 yards I should be able to hit it. Now I haven't tried my actual 327 loads yet , but so far so good.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Haven't had a chance to take mine out yet (picked up a cold last week, and been feeling like crud all weekend). I did take off the grips again to see how the frame is marked. Mine is simply marked with an "X" on one side and a "K" on the other. I know the "K" is Ruger's way of indicating stainless steel (which is pretty obvious on this gun). The grips themselves are marked "XR". I think I'll have to send an e-mail to Ruger to confirm. I'm thinking a nice set of buffalo horn or ebony grips would be the cat's meow on this gun, offsetting the bright stainless steel about perfectly!

Still need to gage the cylinder gap as well. I am very impressed with the trigger pull right out of the box. Smooth and light. Not my usual experience with any new revolver, which is normally "lawyered up" to an annoying level for liability's sake.
Whit Spurzon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Whit Spurzon »

I'm really liking mine.

All cyclinder gaps are .004"

Trigger breaks right at 4 pounds on my gauge. There is a small amount of creep before it breaks.

I've been impressed with the accuracy with both 32 H&R and 327 Fed mag loads.
"There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves." -Will Rogers