Airport Pizza in Nome just made my night

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Airport Pizza in Nome just made my night

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Well, today I finished up some work for a company, took a shower, switched my gear out of that company's truck and into a different company's truck, tried to eat lunch at the Husky, but it was closed, so I had to eat at the Polar Cafe instead, and then I went out and did some video work and took some photos.

Got back into Nome late; hungry, tired, have some work to do before I drive back out to the camp. Stores and restaurants are closed, but I decided to check Airport Pizza. (They are not at the airport; you call them from the villages and they run your pizza to the airport and put it on a plane to you.)

The door was unlocked so I went in and asked how late they were open. The lady said, "I'm sorry, the kitchen is shut down."
I smiled and said, "Ok, thanks, have a good night!" and I walked out. I was resigned to having my last can of sardines and a few crackers for supper.

I was getting in my truck when I heard someone yell and I looked up and the owner was waving me in and he said, "Come on in, I'll cook whatever you want for you."
"I'd hate to be an inconvenience," I replied.
"The day my customers become an inconvenience to me, I will shut this restaurant down," he said, "Get in here and tell me what you want to eat."

I ordered a french dip (the best I've had in a while, by the way) and he brought me a free desert and sat down at the table and talked to me so I would not eat alone. Turned out he had had a long day; had opened the restaurant early this morning, but still stayed late to cook my meal, and sat and talked while I ate it.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Airport Pizza in Nome just made my night

Post by AJMD429 »

"The day my customers become an inconvenience to me, I will shut this restaurant down," he said
Too bad more people don't think that way. I try to keep my employees thinking that way though.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sounds like a place that needs visiting! Plus, he probably understands that "word-of-mouth" is the world's best advertising!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Griff wrote:Sounds like a place that needs visiting! Plus, he probably understands that "word-of-mouth" is the world's best advertising!
Well, if you ever drive that truck of yours to Nome, *I'll* buy your dinner there... :twisted:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

epic Alaska tale

thanks for the telling, it'll stick
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

How expensive is a pizza that gets delivered by small, light plane?
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

now I'm jonesing for a white pizza
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Sounds like he has his priorties in order.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Mescalero wrote:How expensive is a pizza that gets delivered by small, light plane?
How bad is your Jones?

But then, most GROCERIES up there (Including your TP) is delivered by Light Plane... so...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Mescalero wrote:How expensive is a pizza that gets delivered by small, light plane?
I recall hearing that in the past, a pizza was around $50 in one of the bush towns, delivery may be more.

Caribou (Chip Hailstone) said that ammo was $40-$60 or more a box for commercial stuff, partly depending on weight. The lower end stuff was 223 I think. I believe hes a bit north of Nome, but don't recall the exact area.

Old Ironsights wrote: How bad is your Jones?

But then, most GROCERIES up there (Including your TP) is delivered by Light Plane... so...
On a regularly scheduled flight is bad enough, a pizza would probably be a special flight unless you hit the timing just right.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Malamute wrote: On a regularly scheduled flight is bad enough, a pizza would probably be a special flight unless you hit the timing just right.
It goes on scheduled flights, so you order for the flight. Since the schedules are not strictly adhered to, sometimes it still isn't just the right time.

Ice cream is harder than pizza . . .

Unless you were flying in pizza for the whole town, a chartered flight would be way to expensive.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Used to fly groceries in from Juneau, went thru the P.O. and was pretty reasonable compared to the company store. Wife worked for the float service for a while and stand-by freight was free then. Bush life is the high life. Wait, er, ah . . .
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Interesting about the PO.

I saw somewhere there was a remotish place in Idaho, the only practical way to get things in was by plane. They'd mail bales of hay at times, it was the cheapest way to send things like that.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
1894c

Post by 1894c »

that is a GREAT story...God Bless the owner who was willing to take care of a stranger... :)
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

1892 wrote:that is a GREAT story...God Bless the owner who was willing to take care of a stranger... :)
+1
It is not the critic who counts
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Paladin wrote:
1892 wrote:that is a GREAT story...God Bless the owner who was willing to take care of a stranger... :)
+1
+2
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost