accurate no.5

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

accurate no.5

Post by walks with gun »

Anyone familiar with accurate no.5. I bought a pound today because I can't find any favorites. Trying to find good loads for 90gr. cast .32 mag., and 230 cast .45acp. Not a lot of info out there, I'm going to call Western Powders tomorrow and see if it's still the same as AA#5.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: accurate no.5

Post by TedH »

They are one in the same. AA#5 (Accurate Arms No.5) I use it in 45acp, and 9mm cast loads. I use 7.5 gr. in the 45 with a 225 gr. cast bullet, and 5.5 gr. with a 125 gr. in the 9mm.
NRA Life Member
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I use 5gr with 100gr bullets in the 32 H&R. But it is a stout load. The newest Lyman cast bullet loading manual states for the 93gr Lee bullet , AA5 3.8 gr 845 fps at 11.5K cup / max 4.4gr 931 fps at 14.5k cup. I use AA5 in all my 32's . I little goes a long way.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

walks with gun wrote:Anyone familiar with accurate no.5. I bought a pound today because I can't find any favorites. Trying to find good loads for 90gr. cast .32 mag., and 230 cast .45acp. Not a lot of info out there, I'm going to call Western Powders tomorrow and see if it's still the same as AA#5.

Just email Western Powders (via their website) and tell them what calibers and bullet weights you plan to load. They will send you load data. You can also download their latest load data brochure from the site.

http://www.accuratepowder.com/load-data/
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I used 8 pounds of AA5 and recently opened a new 8 pound jug. Mine is the original lot, made in Israel. In recent years the company has changed hands and the power is made some place else in the world.

I can't speak to what you have, but my original lot has been a very good powder for the 9mm Luger, 38 Special, 44 Special, 44 Magnum, 45 ACP and 45 Colt. It is a smidge slower than Unique and can be used anyplace where you would use Unique.

Again, I can't speak about the current stuff, but the original AA5 was very, very good.
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

Oh Tay, I called Western and got the skinny from them, Accurate no.5 and AA#5 are the same data, so I loaded up 55 rounds of 230 cast with 7.5grs. of accurate no. 5 this morning. They seem to recoil more than my other load same bullet with 6grs. Unique which is supposed to be the equivalent of factory ball. I also compared them to Wolf polyformance 230 ball. Western recommends a starting load of 7.7grs. with cast bullets, but I should be able to safely drop down to 7.2 without any problems. The Chipmunks around here don't really need +P loads to put them down. I really need a Chronograph some day.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Here's the data from the AA #2 manual

Cartridge .45 ACP
Bullet 230 gr (L)
No.5 START LOADS 7.7 vel 852
No.5 MAXIMUM LOADS 8.5 vel 968
P.S.I. 19,800
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Arminius
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Arminius »

I thought, AA Powders were made by Semtex of CZ????

Hermann