So... NOW I Need to Know About

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

So... NOW I Need to Know About

Post by Griff »

Tremonton, UT!

1st it was grass fires that closed I-84 in Idaho last night... Sure hope no one was affected by them, other'n bein' inconvenienced, as all that was it was to me. However, today...

Stranded again. Anyone need an over-weight, aged (maybe that equates to experienced), general nev'r-do-well and bon-vivant? Salary negotiable... Hours negotiable... miniscule knowledge on a LOT of subjects... less on really important stuff... but firmly opinionated...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: So... NOW I Need to Know About

Post by gamekeeper »

I can't help with your location but I do like your profile...... :lol:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

game keeper wrote:I can't help with your location but I do like your profile...... :lol:
:lol:

You'll do fine bro, tough old boots never die!

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

stranded how? time for the rest of the story....

I'm 12h away if that's any help
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Pictures...where are the pictures?

You'r welcome to camp out here for however long you need to, Griff, if you want to back track a little. Plenty of work projects going on, too!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Grizz wrote:stranded how? time for the rest of the story....
I'm 12h away if that's any help
It's a sad tale of age and the decline of civilization... or just a broke engine!

Shop is closed today & tomorrow... so I'm just a'chillin'! Nothin' to do but bug you guys and the folks over on the SASS Wire... which I should go check on to see if I got a rise outta them on a post late last night... or was that this am? :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

Griff
How long you been truckin
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

plowboy 45 wrote:Griff
How long you been truckin
Part time? About 47 years... full-time about 18. It's still a mystery as to why! :twisted: :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Griff,

Maybe that old pirate ship of yours is telling you it's time to retire. 47 years is a long time be running all over the country.

Sorry bout the engine. What's cause, do you know?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

31 years myself but sold out on 911 guess ill never forget when I was done owning one
Just been a driver sense then
Maybe it ain't to serious
41 Redhawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 41 Redhawk »

It's been about 15 years since I was last in Tremonton but there wasn't much there then. If you can get south down to Brigham City there is a bit more to do there. Maddux's (SP) steak house comes to mind.
The Lord Bless You

Terry
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Well... it wouldn't be too serious if we were talkin' about a small block chevy... but... it' not... it is kinda serious. #6 rod bearing spun... seizing up. So, the engine has to come out to remove the crank. For all the labor involved, it might just be better to buy a new crate engine... warranty an all considered.

Back to the grindstone, work, work, work... no takin' a week or more every a month off! Yuck!!! Payments!!!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Are the most current engines made as well as yours was? Do the new ones run any more efficiently? Just a couple of questions that might need to be answered to determine if it is worth it to repair or replace.

I am getting a vehicle repaired right now. The Oxygen sensors in the catalytic converters went bad, the converters were overheating, and the transmission was damaged. I should find out today if it is repairable. My son was the primary driver, and he is like his mother, blissfully oblivious to anything happening in the vehicle until it quits and won't restart.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

piller wrote:Are the most current engines made as well as yours was? Do the new ones run any more efficiently? Just a couple of questions that might need to be answered to determine if it is worth it to repair or replace.

I am getting a vehicle repaired right now. The Oxygen sensors in the catalytic converters went bad, the converters were overheating, and the transmission was damaged. I should find out today if it is repairable. My son was the primary driver, and he is like his mother, blissfully oblivious to anything happening in the vehicle until it quits and won't restart.
I don't think so... and while just as with gasoline engines... the higher temps in the new diesels are more fuel efficient... that higher heat means more breakdowns and shortened life.

I doubt seriously that ANY of the post 2003 diesels will ever see 2million miles. In talking to repair shops, the common thing seems to be that the majority of their business is now the servicing of exhaust filtration systems. I've had a couple tell me that easily 75% of their business are these DEF and EGR systems.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Good Luck! Did you get that truck rolling and producing a cash flow yet?
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Griff,
I hear 'ya bro! As you know, I load tractor trailers for a living and I hear the stories everyday. Last week, my bud, who hauls for Food Lion and owns a one man trucking outfit showed me a flat tire on his trailer with a huge nail sticking out of it. He bought the $300 tires (each...8 of them) for his trailer the week before.

The very next day he showed me how the bracket on the passenger side smoke stack broke and the whole stack fell sideways. His had it rigged with straps and load locks. As he has a very nice Peterbuilt, he replaced the whole gizmo for something like $1600. Had he not been in the hammer lane, someone could have been killed had they been passing him.

THE NEXT day, the clutch compressor went and he burned up his clutch but not to the point where it needed replacing.

All of this happened the week after some idiot in a truck stop forget to set his breaks (no trailer, just the tractor) and it rolled into my buds front end and destroyed that 15 square foot chrome bumper and right fender.

Yea, you guessed it, the idiot was an import from Romania driving a beat up '92 Freightliner.

Your not alone bro. Obama happens!----------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Back in Tremonton... Decided that if it'd take a week to 10 days to repair... I could loaf at home cheaper... (maybe not after car rental, gas, food & lodging two ways), BUT... I could bug the wife. Which I did. Left Sunday and arrived yesterday... truck still not done... troubles getting stuff to fit back together.

As to what happened initially, on Friday, 8/1, the truck was making a "weird noise". I couldn't identify it... so I shut it down. It wouldn't restart. Called a repair service, he asked me to start it up... cranked and cranked, and cranked some more. Finally started. Making more noise... shut if off. "Mechanic" asked me to start it up again and look at oil pressure gauge... I had some, but... to double check I cranked it up again... turned over a couple of time and seized.

Towed it to a shop here in Tremonton. The following Monday they pulled the pan off:
That shiny stuff ain't supposed to be in there. It's supposed to be around the crankshaft, for your rods to spin on, sometimes called bearings! :twisted:

More of same:
That round thing is plastic, is part of the system that sprays oil on the underside of the piston to keep 'em cool... relatively so, anyway. They changed them a few months ago and that one broke off as they removed it. Told me it would drain out with my next oil change... Obviously not!

This pic is looking up from the right side of the engine, at the rear:
You can just see the discolored rod cap between main cap #s 6 & 7. It's the one that let go and seized.

Anyway, with only a $1500 difference between rebuilding mine with a new crankshaft and buying a crate motor, I went with the crate engine. It's 100HP more, with 100ftlbs more torque. 3 year warranty vs a 1 year on the parts they replace in my old one... kind've a no-brainer!

They got it all back together yesterday... but blew an A/C line... had to order it in... and having a bit of an issue recharging my A/C. I don't drive w/o A/C!

No sympathy cards... send MONEY!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

Griff wrote: No sympathy cards... send MONEY!
And I thought I was having vehicle issues of late. I'll send money as soon as I can print some up. I think you are going to need a WHOLE BUNCH!

Good luck.
Brent
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

BrentD wrote:
Griff wrote: No sympathy cards... send MONEY!
And I thought I was having vehicle issues of late. I'll send money as soon as I can print some up. I think you are going to need a WHOLE BUNCH!

Good luck.
Brent
This ^^^^^

Getting the third flex-plate put in my avalanche right now . :roll:
Maybe I can get to 70 k miles before anything else breaks on it.
Chump change compared to what you are doing though .
Phil