Range Report: RB No.5 7mm

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Range Report: RB No.5 7mm

Post by FatJackDurham »

I bought one of those suction cup apertures to put on your shooting glasses to see if it would improve my aim on open sights. I think it did. I felt I could focus much better on the sights and target. This RB has terrible sights to me, very hard to focus on. Previously, I could only shoot about 4" at 100 yards. With the aperture on my glasses, I was able to see much better and shoot 2".

BTW, I am selling this gun. See my add in the classifieds.

piller
Posting leader...

Re: Range Report: RB No.5 7mm

Post by piller »

That is a big difference. Was it one of the apertures advertised on the home page for this site?
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

It is the Merit Corporation optical attachment.

It made a HUGE difference for my sight picture. For example: with this rolling block, the rear sight is just barely visible above the rounded receiver top, which always produces glare. The notch is very small and a little irregular, maybe chipped a little. Previously, if I focused on the rear sight, the front site was blurry, and the target was a blob. If I focused on the front site, I couldn't see the not very well and the top of the rear sight was blurred, so it was hard to alight the top of the front sight with the top of the rear sight, and the target was blurry.

With this optical attachment, the front and rear sight are both in focus if I focus on the front sight, and the target is only a little blurry. Check out that shoot-n-see disc in the picture. It is only 3" in diameter. Before, I'd have to put an 8" target up at 100 yards, and it was just a dark blur. With the aperture, I could actually see the tiny 3" circle as a slightly blurry spec, clearly visible, and I was able to set the front sight just underneath it.

It was an INCREDIBLE difference for me to shoot iron sights this way.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I have one.
It makes a world of difference.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

I would just add for others that maybe reading this post. Start using these type devices before your sights go fuzzy. They will improve groups even when you've got good eyes! They are especially good when bench testing loads on open sighted firearms. Start using the device before your sights go fuzzy. I did and have never looked back.
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

Ben_Rumson wrote:...They are especially good when bench testing loads on open sighted firearms. ....
Exactly my thought. would test dozens of loads, but never sure if the group was the load or my aim. Now I will be able to tighten it up.

It worked very well for handgun shooting as well.