Mossberg 464 .22 lever gun - your thoughts

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Snaketail
Levergunner

Mossberg 464 .22 lever gun - your thoughts

Post by Snaketail »

I shoot Lever Action Silhouette and am looking for .22 lever gun...I'd go with Marlin, but they seem to be made of some precious metal that jacks the price out of my range. Anyone have experience with the Mossberg .22?
The qualities I'm looking for include the ability to add a target quality peep sight, and a trigger that can be tuned to "non-lawyer" settings.
I'm currently using a Browning BL-22, but the trigger is very heavy and not gunsmith friendly.

What do you think of the M'berg .22?

M
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Mossberg 464 .22 lever gun - your thoughts

Post by jazman »

Have you looked at Henry lever .22's? All American made, and smooth as glass right out of the box. Great company and service also.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by daisygordoninc »

I agree with Levergunner 3.0, Henry makes a very good 22 lever gun, have had several.
All American, great company.

Gordon
Snaketail
Levergunner

Post by Snaketail »

How is the trigger on a Henry?
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

The .22 Mossberg 464 triggers are similar to the .22 Henry's - since they are almost the exact same design, down to the removeable alloy receiver cover (except that the Mossberg will cost a lot more than the Henry).

While I own, like & appreciate the Henry .22 leverguns, for L-A Silly-wets I would strongly advise you save up for a Marlin 39a - or search around until you find an affordable example.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

My 'favorite' leverguns in the rimfire class are all the 'elegant, classic, Savage-99-like' Ruger 96's, and mine have decent triggers, I don't know how many aftermarket parts, if any, for the 10/22 would apply (if so, you can get extremely good triggers for them), or how 'gunsmith friendly' they are. They are not cheap, either, but sometimes one will turn up with some surface-wear that is a shooter.

However - unless you don't care about having a 'non-traditional' (i.e. one-piece stock) levergun like a Marlin 57 or Marlin 62 or Winchester 88, you may do well to check out a Henry.

Get the one with the metal front sight base, not the 'kid' version.
  • They are U.S.A. made 100%.
    The company has EXCELLENT service, so if your trigger isn't nice enough, they will likely make it so for you.
    They are slick and compact and handy.
    They 'look like a traditional levergun'.
Sorry that I can't help as to the specific question as of the Mossberg 464. However I will say that I've owned many Mossberg shotguns, and a rifle or two, over the years, and they all were well-built, basically 'good' guns. Remind me of Savage firearms. I believe Mossbergs are ALSO 100% USA-made, and the company has been excellent to me in the rare times I've needed parts or service.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

That Browning should fetch enough to buy a Marlin.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Tycer wrote:That Browning should fetch enough to buy a Marlin.
+1
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have one of the Henry leverguns, and it will feed any .22LR that I put in it. The accuracy is as good as I can shoot, and probably a whole lot better than that. Smooth as can be, and never a problem.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Probably would have gone with a mossberg. Henry's are too pretentious for my tastes :p
Of course, you're all but guanrateed market value on a henry. The Mossberg isn't exactly something you keep as an heirloom. The Henry base model actually comes in cheaper than the 464 at Bud's, but who wants just the base model?

In all honestly, they're both ugly IMO. It's why I could never bring myself to buy either one. Instead I got a smoking deal on a 39a and never looked back.
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Handled a nice Henry .22 the day I bought my Glock 42. It was a .22mag with an octagon barrel & brass frame. Heavier than my Marlin 39 Centennial but that extra weight in the barrel made it hang real nice. Couldn't try the trigger.

Question, since you are talking silhouette, can you use .22mag? If so wouldn't it be better than a .22lr?
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Snaketail
Levergunner

Post by Snaketail »

Tycer wrote:That Browning should fetch enough to buy a Marlin.
You'd think so - but it seems the Marlins contain some rare minerals that make them expen$ive as a new diamond ring. I found a guy locally who said he'd sell me his JM stamped 39A for $750. Another one said $600 for a 1940s model.

For now I'm going to keep the Browning.

.22 Mag doesn't quality for Small Bore Class, but a lot of shooters use .22LR for both SB and Pistol Caliber matches (and sometimes lose a 100 yard ram to the .22LR).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Snaketail wrote:You'd think so - but it seems the Marlins contain some rare minerals that make them expen$ive as a new diamond ring. I found a guy locally who said he'd sell me his JM stamped 39A for $750. Another one said $600 for a 1940s model.
It's true. It's been ages since I've seen them turn up on AZ backpage-- Only two in the last year.
Hell, there's somebody that wants to push a 357 for $900... And that was after a few weeks at $1200 :roll:

but you can thank Remington for that :)
Should have kept my stainless 336 :\

...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.