one day....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

one day....

Post by Nath »

All I will shoot is one sxs, my levergun in357 and my muzzleloaders.
The other shotguns and 22 can go.

Of couse any amount of airguns can be kicking around :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: one day....

Post by gamekeeper »

Nath, I'm always thinking like that! Why do I need guns I don't use, then after I sell them, I either see something else I can't live without or I realize that I miss the guns I've sold.
I think that our repressive gun laws make it difficult to have a large collection of firearms so we tend to assume we should only have firearms we actually use, it always amazes me when our fellow levergunners state that they have guns they have never fired or have not used in years, I have only six but they are all used frequently some daily.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Yes. Also money burns holes in pockets too!
I do seem to be settling down though and then the eyes are no longer as good!
The fox's will win in the end too :)

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

The 22 as well????
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I found that over the years, since I started buying firearms as a teenager, but went through a 13-year post-high-school education program, I never had enough money to buy any super-nice firearms, but always found enough to buy halfway-decent ones. So after a couple more decades, I realized I'd gotten quite a few firearms, but very few 'keepers'. Many fairly accurate ones, but not any tack-drivers, many fairly powerful ones, but no cannons.

So, now I'm slowly pondering what ones I really want to keep, what ones I'd like to have but don't, and what ones I will sell or trade to that end.

One could do with just a few, IF they were the right ones.

. . . of course, we might quibble on the definition of 'a few'. . . :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Borregos wrote:The 22 as well????
Never use now...really. Prefere the357!
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Keep them all.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

You might not want to make a drastic decision just yet, Nath - As I age (now 71), I find that I'm MUCH less tolerant of recoil than when I was younger (and used to shoot/hunt while using belted magnum rifles with aplomb).

The hardest "kicker" I have left, now, is my .30-30 Win 94 Trapper.

I sold all my 12ga's, and most of my CF rifles, leaving 20ga, 28ga, & .410 shotguns, the .30-30 Trapper, and a Ruger 77 in .250 Savage (besides a few .22's).

The reduction hasn't made any noticeable change in my game garnering abilities - but, who knows what the future will bring before I go for the Dirt Nap ?

ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

I'd think long and hard 'bout letting that little Winchester go, if I was forced to get down to one gun only, it would be a .22
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

thanks men......no dirt nap talk here Pete! :)

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Like they say too soon old, too late smart.

My last purchases have been 9mm handguns, and I thought I'd never own one. Then there was that
.223 bolt action. I see a trend here... low recoil.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Went yesterday to check on a Winchester74. Shame it has lost some of its lovely blueing and open sights!
It has a Parker Hale scope mountin rail fitted though and is fitted with small moderator.

I shot it to test it. I used sub sonic ammo to test the cycling!
It worked fine and I did like the way the round is half fed in the chamber by the magazine before the bolt arives!

The stock needs some work and although the trigger is not bad I will try to lighten it a little.
My 94 357 has put the 9422 on a back burner and after being offered a good sum for it thought a change and project
would be good.
I tried a Marlin auto too....much prefered it to a Ruger but its tubular mag was way to thin!

The 74 seemed to have a very nice smooth and dampend action.

Watch this space!

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Nath,
I have 2 model 74 Winchesters. One has a 24" barrel and the other a 20". From the serial no.s both are factory length and the short one has an A appended to indicate the short barrel. Both very accurate. I see nice ones at gun shows going for $200 to $300.
I have Weaver side mount bases on both and have 4X Weaver scopes on both. Much prefer the short one now but in times past the long barreled one won me a bunch of turkeys and hog meat. The Cherokee community has "hog and turkey shoots" where the promoter brings 2 or 3 hogs and some turkeys to the shoot site and butchers the hogs there. The meat is divided into whatever he thinks equitable as prizes for the winner of the target shoot for each portion. No scopes allowed and is supposed to be limited to open sights. Small entry fee allows lots of shooters and the promoter makes more money than just selling his hogs.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

That sounds fun :D

What kind of groups are yours capable of?
Have you worked on the trigger?
Thank you.
N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!