Joined a range yesterday!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Joined a range yesterday!

Post by Canuck Bob »

I have finally joined a range. It is in historic Rocky Mountain House, Alberta. I was blown away by the facilities and now have access to a 600 M range, 1200 M range, and an assortment of others including a nice shotgun range. They are actively upgrading so a couple are available soon but now I'm main stream.

Maybe a Browning BPS 20 gauge Upland Special might show up finally!

The range is 200 KM/120 M from home. That is how difficult it is to get a range membership around here. When they clamped down on gun control they made range standards so high amateur clubs have a hard time passing range inspections so we have a chronic shortage. A word to the wise!
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Joined a range yesterday!

Post by Griff »

My son just joined a range... great facility, with pistol bays, rifle bays, 100y, 200y and more in between those and 1500y... And my 12 year wait to be accepted to the closest range to me came to an end... when I finally received an invitation... a WEEK LATER! Thought about joining it as it is very much closer than the other... But limited to 200 yards, and NO steel allowed...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Good for you Bob, but that is a loooooong drive :!:
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Bob,

Good grief, did the 10 day excursion via horseback (Calgary, Baniff etc)
All there is there is wilderness areas. :lol:
Seriously, There must be a better way?

I love shooting, but to drive 240 miles to shoot skeet at a club or a 600 yd course etc.
Maybe cause I have my own or our club is 3 miles away 120 miles each way---wow.
ps--the other club I belong to in Pa(for the last years) that one is 12 miles away.

Hope it works out great for you Bob,but holy cow.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Canuck Bob,

I feel your pain since I have to drive 70 miles one way myself to use an indoor range.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

I drive to the office weekly in Red Deer about 75 kms. away. My gas is covered so the extra time is all I add. I've been a travelling salesman for many years and enjoy driving.

It is situated in the bush but close to town so it feels like a guy is out in the forest. I haven't used a range membership for decades. My shooting is now hobby shooting so this should work until I make it on a waiting list for something closer.

This really works for my new 223 bolt action. I can play around out to ranges that are new to me and learn a bit about precision shooting with one of those scope contraptions. They even have a spot for BP for the 54 Flint Deerstalker.