Broken boat seat.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Broken boat seat.

Post by M. M. Wright »

I was fishing Friday, actually trolling when I had a strike that took the rod behind me almost out of the boat. Twisted around and grabbed it to find myself and my swivel seat on the floor of the boat. I managed to get up and boat the fish but the seat had the bolt holes stripped out. Found a plastic bucket in a brush pile and retrieved it to upend over the seat post and placed a life vest on that.
Saturday I looked the problem over and discovered the rigger had only put 2 screws that were just barely catching a couple of threads to hold the seat to the swivel mount. Put in all 4 longer cap screws with flat and lock washers. Maybe it will hold for the rest of the summer.
Worst part was that something cut my upper arm on the tricep and I take asprin, warfarin and Plavix (yeah Doc, I had a little stroke) so the sleeves of the 3 shirts I was wearing got pretty soaked by the time I quit. It takes 2 or 3 days for the smallest hole to quit leaking.
I'm going to replace the front pedestal mount with a taller one so I can use the foot control trolling motor easier and I like to use a fly rod most of the time so being up a little higher is a plus. Any one have a favorite pedestal mount fishing seat?
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Broken boat seat.

Post by AJMD429 »

Never fished from a boat with a seat, but you obviously are a dedicated fisherman AND tough guy, surviving lacerations while on blood-thinner. Too bad the young wimps that are breeding these days don't have that kind of sturdiness and character. Sometimes a little wound and bleeding makes the day more of an 'adventure'.

Just be careful enough you can do it again tomorrow... :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

AJMD429 wrote:Never fished from a boat with a seat, but you obviously are a dedicated fisherman AND tough guy, surviving lacerations while on blood-thinner. Too bad the young wimps that are breeding these days don't have that kind of sturdiness and character. Sometimes a little wound and bleeding makes the day more of an 'adventure'.

Just be careful enough you can do it again tomorrow... :wink:

That was exactly my thoughts! M.M.....they don't make them like you anymore. For today, YOU 'Da Man!-----6

Funny thing, I see parents taking their kids to the bus stop if it's only drizzling or the temps are below 50. A nation of sissies we have become.
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I see parents taking their kids to the bus stop if it's only drizzling or the temps are below 50. A nation of sissies we have become.
:? And, the ones that DO walk are too stupid to wear the proper clothing....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Glad to hear you're ok, fishing ain't for sissies! Dislocated my knee while trout fishin'... required several hours of surgery to fix, and several MONTHS of therapy, just to get around without a wheelchair.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

I'm glad you're all right. But I want to know about the fish you caught that bent your rod and put you in the bilge! Forget the broken seat...let's hear about the fish! :D

Oh yeah, for a boat seat check out Todd.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

mod71alaska wrote:I'm glad you're all right. But I want to know about the fish you caught that bent your rod and put you in the bilge! Forget the broken seat...let's hear about the fish! :D

Oh yeah, for a boat seat check out Todd.
Yeah, you'll heal! :D Where's the picture of that fish? :shock:

I took mu BIL from Montana fishing in a little crappie boat I had once. It was basically a jon boat set up like a bass boat. Real narrow.
He set the hook on a fish and all 8 screws in the base of the pedestal pulled out of the deck. I was shocked to see him going overboard backwards. It turned to laughter when he stood up and the water was about knee deep. Luckily no blood or bumpy head. That afternoon we fixed the seat and were back out in the evening. Dang I need to take time to go fishing.

Glad you're okay. Pictures, please :D
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

The wedge shaped ones are a good way to get a wedgie.

No boat myself but had uncles who were die-hard fisherman, the standard bucket/low back seats are what I preferred.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

vancelw wrote:. Dang I need to take time to go fishing.

Glad you're okay. Pictures, please :D

I tried to go today, but i hadnt noticed my little pond was weed choked out 15' from the bank all around --- i use a little 10' plastic bass buggy , but still seemed like a pain
----- Doug
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

M. M. Wright wrote: I'm going to replace the front pedestal mount with a taller one so I can use the foot control trolling motor easier and I like to use a fly rod most of the time so being up a little higher is a plus. Any one have a favorite pedestal mount fishing seat?
We used these seats and mounts from Cabela's in our 15' Gregor. Worked like a charm. Very comfortable and durable. The seat bolts to the swivel mount on the base, which clamps over a bench seat. Never had any issues with them while we owned the boat.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Boating/ ... t104341680

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Boating/ ... t104492880
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Like the others, where is the pictures of the fish?
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I've already eaten those and filleted the next catch but I promise to at least get phone pics next time I go.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Gaucho Gringo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gaucho Gringo »

All the boats that I was fishing from from the time I was 7 to 37 the seats were just a plank that attached to the opposite sides of the boat. I am 63 now and haven't been fishing or in a boat since I was 37. Had to give that up to raise a family, couldn't afford to do both.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

BlaineG wrote:
I see parents taking their kids to the bus stop if it's only drizzling or the temps are below 50. A nation of sissies we have become.
:? And, the ones that DO walk are too stupid to wear the proper clothing....
I agree. I see them walking to school in shorts and t-shirts in those temperatures. Where are the parents?
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

JB...parents prolly spent the kids clothes money on a boat, or boat seats..
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.