(Very) Amateur Knife Build - Redux

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

(Very) Amateur Knife Build - Redux

Post by Pete44ru »

Amateur Knife Build, Part Deux

Last week, I posted a knife build I did, using a commercial blade and some deer antler, etc for the handle.

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=58852

I stated that I wasn't entirely happy with the look of the final config (below), but hoped it would grow on me.

Well, it didn't (grow on me) :cry: ...................

Sooooooo, I blew off the stag handle material, and drilled a 2"x2"x5" stick (Which I cut off some Ebony I've had for years) for the knife blade's round tang - then Gorrila-glued & clamped the block onto the tang.

After the glue cured, I laid out a grip shape, I liked better, on some paper - then positioned & glued the pattern onto the side of the Ebony block, so I could judge how it would look, AND to act as a guide for shaping the handle.

.......Me likey :P - so, I cut off all the Ebony that laid outside the pattern, to make shaping less tedious.

After MUCHO sanding/filing/shaping, I thought the Ebony handle was close to what I wanted.

After even more sanding/filing/etc, I had what I thought would be the final shape (below, with the parts of the blown off stag grip)

Upon reflection, I realized that the rear half of the Ebony grip came out too large, and was asymmetrical, too - so, back to filing/sanding/shaping, to make the grip smaller and more symmetrical. :roll:

This is what I ended up with.

I'm happy with this new handle from the get-go; now, I'm trying to decide on a sheath for it.

I'm torn between a traditional leather sheath, or a metal sheath, similar to this San Francisco Bowie's:

While I can't do the engraving, I think I can fold, solder & polish a similar metal sheath from a thin steel cookie baking sheet.

Whaddya think ?

Griff
Posting leader...

Re: (Very) Amateur Knife Build - Redux

Post by Griff »

I like the new handle, and think that sheath is a worthy try. I believe one should try a thing before one sez "I can't!"
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Nice! :mrgreen:
NRA Life Member
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Griff wrote:I like the new handle, and think that sheath is a worthy try. I believe one should try a thing before one sez "I can't!"
Exactly what he said :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Dude has mad skills :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

Griff wrote:I like the new handle, and think that sheath is a worthy try. I believe one should try a thing before one sez "I can't!"
Yep, plus 2. Also, the only thing you risk is a batch of cookies never being made as you used the pan for a sheath!
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

C'mon - I gotta show a little class............. I'll buy a new cookie sheet, at the $1 Store - 'cuz there's no way I'm giving up even one cookie ! :mrgreen:

Last edited by Pete44ru on Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Pete44ru wrote:.

C'mon - I gotta show a little class............. I'll buy a new cookie sheet, at the $1 Store. :mrgreen:

I have no metal working skills.....So, how would you insure that the blade didn't dull on the metal sheath? Knives are gonna wiggle....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I'd line a metal sheath with thin leather, cork (IDK if cork holds moisture), or more modernly - kydex/fiberglas.

For blade retention in the sheath, IDK whether a retainer strap, or a flat spring inside the sheath that holds tension against the side of the blade (similar to the retention used in the fiberglas sheath on my M8 bayonet-cum-fighter/dagger - which I cut off the barrel ring), would work better.