Strangest thing you have seen while hunting

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BrentD

Re: Strangest thing you have seen while hunting

Post by BrentD »

Canuck Bob wrote:
BrentD wrote:I saw a big game hunter carrying a centerfire rifle w/o a scope. Just happened once though. :)
Come on now Brent, no need to tell tall tails! :lol:
No, it's true - REALLY!

I was looking in this really calm pool of water and I saw the guy - there in the water, looking back at me. He even looked sorta familiar... ;)
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

BrentD wrote:
Canuck Bob wrote:
BrentD wrote:I saw a big game hunter carrying a centerfire rifle w/o a scope. Just happened once though. :)
Come on now Brent, no need to tell tall tails! :lol:
No, it's true - REALLY!

I was looking in this really calm pool of water and I saw the guy - there in the water, looking back at me. He even looked sorta familiar... ;)
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Indigo22
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Indigo22 »

Booger Bill wrote:I wasn't hunting but I just prowl around a lot. I found a secluded area that had a large pit dug in a wide circle with like a roman Colosseum with circular ledges of dirt like benches with similar rows of benches behind and up. Maybe two or three circular tiers.
Our church youth group used to dig similar structures for our evening vespers while out camping. Devil group? nope christian kids enjoying a fire pit singing songs.
John

No matter what he does, every person on earth plays a central role in the history of the world. And normally he doesn't know it.

Paulo Coelho
hosehead
Levergunner

Post by hosehead »

Stumbled across a cult doing some sort of ritual. Didn't leave the house for 2 days after that.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

not very strange but..

while deer hunting in a WMA about 20 years ago...
I was walking along the edge of a swamp....turned around
and there was a Florida panther about 30 yards behind me walking the other way!

found a racoon sitting in my treestand...and would not leave....till i started up the ladder
He took off up the tree...and was stuck up there 10 feet away there till dark...

A few times while stalking in the swamp, I'd look down and find a water mocasin sitting right next to my boot.... :shock:
all curled up with the mouth wide open...ready to strike...luckily most did not...except one...I was a little faster...
hes a lot shorter...

while turkey hunting...I walk right up to a gators nest full of baby gators....with no sign of momma....

Some of logging roads get washed out during storms....and its a good idea to walk them before
going through with the truck.....got about half way though the washout....and heard a splash in the canal...
Dang 6' gator swum right up to me....he took off when i stepped towards him...

Almost had my hat taken off buy a red shouldered hawk while calling for turkeys....
he was just a couple feet away...when he found out i was not a hen...

another time while turkey hunting a bald eagle swooped down to try and snag my decoy....
had to scare him off....

While fishing one late afternoon a soakin wet bald eagle landed on shore....just could not fly anymore...
kept me company for the rest of the day...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Guess for some of you this might not be too out of the ordinary...but, it is in my neck of the woods.

Back in September of '95, on first weekend of the fall Turkey season I was up and out early on an unusually warm early morning. As the sun rose over the horizon the temperature continued rising to where I became uncomfortable. Remember thinking, as my hunting clothes were being discarded in my tent blind, that I hoped no one would see me as I was down to my camo T-shirt, camo boxers (they did have pockets though), and with a thought of practicality, my hunting boots. Ok, a lot of people might think that is appropriate attire in 90+ temps...but ya gotta picture the entire ensemble...with the boots.

Oops...getting off track.

The whole morning sitting in that tent blind yielded nada, just got hotter and hotter. So, figured I would scout my property hoping to possibly run across a gaggle of Toms. Thought for second to put my hunting pants back on, then thought the better of it as they are heavy canvas. Besides, this is all my own private land at least a mile in any direction. That, and my boxers were really my camouflaged swim trunks too and as hot as it was, the thought passed my mind of taking a dip in the cool spring fed creek that runs through my property. Grabbed my pack, slung my 870 over my shoulder and started heading for the furthest corner of my property. This corner was the most isolated with only a couple of trails to it, but I decided to go cross country with the hopes of kicking something up. This took me through the edge of a Cedar swamp and up to the back side of a 1/2 mile ridge that dissected the corner of my property. Took a couple of hours to get that far, so I sat on the side of the ridge to cool off. Well the thought came to me to check out a clover food plot I had planted the previous spring on a couple acre opening at the very southeast end of the ridge. Because of the plot, I had installed multiple game cameras around the area, and since I had spare batteries and film thought I would service them. But...while walking quietly along the top of the ridge in the direction the plot, I heard voices and laughter coming from the area. What the heck, I thought, do I have poachers on my land??? Not knowing I snuck up to the highest point to observe.

My jaw must have hit the ground...there were at least twenty people down there...and none of them had any clothes on! On top of that, they had five large tents pitched on the parameter of the food plot. And here I was concerned about my hunting attire???

Here I was all hell bent to read the riot act for them being on my property when I heard the voices, now seeing them nude, I had to coax myself to confront them.

Down the ridge I went, still apprehensive, until almost into the food plot where a woman approached me. She had a pretty stern look on her face, which I tried to concentrate on as it was the only thing she was wearing. She unabashedly questioned my presence and when I told her this was my property, she told me that it can not be because they hiked in through the state forest. She tried to argue with me, but then a naked guy walked over and calmed her down. He apologized and said he had thought they left the state land, but this secluded spot was ideal and hoped that they did not cause any damage. Heck..they did not have any clothes on, what could the damage. Then an older (maybe older that I was at the time, but way younger than I am now) lady came over and introduced herself explaining that all these people are family and friends. She said that if I demanded they would pack up and leave, but would be for ever grateful if they could stay the weekend. I relented.

The next weekend I recovered all my game cameras from the area. Have the evidence to this day, these people were way kinky...
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I think we have a new winner :shock:
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Cult rituals, perverts, nudists, crucified racoons, gator nests, water moccasins, and such makes me really appreciate our simple old rutting moose and cranky bears! I'm beginning to think Deliverance was not fiction!!! Its no wonder you guys carry concealed pistols while out hunting.
zzr7ky
Levergunner 1.0

Post by zzr7ky »

Once while cutting timber in a frozen swamp I paused to hunt a trio of rabbits I had seen just ahead of my partner and I. I shot the first two and tracked the third on fresh powder snow through a briar thicket maybe 20 yards across. On the other side the tracks ended abruptly. I looked up in time to see a Red Tailed Hawk carry the rabbit away.

Another time I shot a rabbit and before the crack of the rifle had died, a large ferrel cat pounced on the rabbit and made off with it! I was so suprised I didn't even contest the theft.

ATB,
Mike
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Mescalero wrote:I think we have a new winner :shock:
+1.

But... uhhh... without pictures it didn't happen... right?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

Griff wrote:
+1.

GRIFF!!! :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Griff wrote:
+1.

Right...never happened... :wink:

'Cept I showed them to my wife right away...at first she got angry at me! Like I was the pervert or something.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I watched a grey squirrel chase down a field mouse, kill it and carry it in it's mouth up a tree and into a nest hole.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

Old Time Hunter wrote:Guess for some of you this might not be too out of the ordinary...but, it is in my neck of the woods.

Back in September of '95, on first weekend of the fall Turkey season I was up and out early on an unusually warm early morning. As the sun rose over the horizon the temperature continued rising to where I became uncomfortable. Remember thinking, as my hunting clothes were being discarded in my tent blind, that I hoped no one would see me as I was down to my camo T-shirt, camo boxers (they did have pockets though), and with a thought of practicality, my hunting boots. Ok, a lot of people might think that is appropriate attire in 90+ temps...but ya gotta picture the entire ensemble...with the boots.

Oops...getting off track.

The whole morning sitting in that tent blind yielded nada, just got hotter and hotter. So, figured I would scout my property hoping to possibly run across a gaggle of Toms. Thought for second to put my hunting pants back on, then thought the better of it as they are heavy canvas. Besides, this is all my own private land at least a mile in any direction. That, and my boxers were really my camouflaged swim trunks too and as hot as it was, the thought passed my mind of taking a dip in the cool spring fed creek that runs through my property. Grabbed my pack, slung my 870 over my shoulder and started heading for the furthest corner of my property. This corner was the most isolated with only a couple of trails to it, but I decided to go cross country with the hopes of kicking something up. This took me through the edge of a Cedar swamp and up to the back side of a 1/2 mile ridge that dissected the corner of my property. Took a couple of hours to get that far, so I sat on the side of the ridge to cool off. Well the thought came to me to check out a clover food plot I had planted the previous spring on a couple acre opening at the very southeast end of the ridge. Because of the plot, I had installed multiple game cameras around the area, and since I had spare batteries and film thought I would service them. But...while walking quietly along the top of the ridge in the direction the plot, I heard voices and laughter coming from the area. What the heck, I thought, do I have poachers on my land??? Not knowing I snuck up to the highest point to observe.

My jaw must have hit the ground...there were at least twenty people down there...and none of them had any clothes on! On top of that, they had five large tents pitched on the parameter of the food plot. And here I was concerned about my hunting attire???

Here I was all hell bent to read the riot act for them being on my property when I heard the voices, now seeing them nude, I had to coax myself to confront them.

Down the ridge I went, still apprehensive, until almost into the food plot where a woman approached me. She had a pretty stern look on her face, which I tried to concentrate on as it was the only thing she was wearing. She unabashedly questioned my presence and when I told her this was my property, she told me that it can not be because they hiked in through the state forest. She tried to argue with me, but then a naked guy walked over and calmed her down. He apologized and said he had thought they left the state land, but this secluded spot was ideal and hoped that they did not cause any damage. Heck..they did not have any clothes on, what could the damage. Then an older (maybe older that I was at the time, but way younger than I am now) lady came over and introduced herself explaining that all these people are family and friends. She said that if I demanded they would pack up and leave, but would be for ever grateful if they could stay the weekend. I relented.

The next weekend I recovered all my game cameras from the area. Have the evidence to this day, these people were way kinky...
Feel free to pm some of those pictures to me, just for scholarly purposes of course :D. I am looking into buying some game cams and would like to see the detail. :D

Steve
PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaperPatch »

86er wrote:I watched a grey squirrel chase down a field mouse, kill it and carry it in it's mouth up a tree and into a nest hole.
Proof to the world....rats will eat each other!
:wink:
mergus
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mergus »

I once saw a red squirrel grab a dead chick-a-dee and carry it up into a tree and lay it in the fork of 2 branches and leave it there.

Mergus
Colt pistols, Marlin rifles and old SxS's.....
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

While Spring gobbler hunting, had a turkey hen step on my boot and she didn't spook.

Brother always brings up in 1980, he shot a big 10 point. It rolled down a steep bank into the river floating away. Was last day of Pa buck season about 10 degrees.
I stripped down to scives swam out and fetched it. He said thanks but boy are you stupid. :mrgreen:
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

I can't top any of these tales, but I do have a question for you Game Keeper.

When you made those two, uh, 'men' leave in a hurry, did you let them take their clothes?

And I'd say in this case we need no pics to know it happened, we believe! we believe!

:)

Cat
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Catshooter wrote:I can't top any of these tales, but I do have a question for you Game Keeper.

When you made those two, uh, 'men' leave in a hurry, did you let them take their clothes?

And I'd say in this case we need no pics to know it happened, we believe! we believe!

:)

Cat
The strange thing was these guys were in the middle of a stinging nettle patch when my springer spaniel flushed them! :shock:
I stood about twenty yards away while they grabbed their clothes and dressed before heading to their cars.
Being the gamekeeper on the estate I was used to marching trespassers off the property but seeing these two middle aged men in a state of panic was quite funny, I still don't understand the stinging nettle thing though........ :?
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

In the throes of passion :shock: ( how come we don't have a barf smiley )
dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Post by dkmlever »

Once coming out after dark with my buddy, both of us were loaded down with yearling does over our shoulders- head down - long day, tired, we saw we were the last vehicle in the parking lot.
As I got closer to our truck I stepped over a rifle laying in the dirt, called out for my buddy so he could see it. We picked it up, a slightly dirty Ruger M-77 left hand in 300 win mag. we notified the local sheriff and the Department of wildlife and then waited a year. Traded in for a rifle for his son who was right handed. Pretty sure someone got back to the parking lot, leaned his rifle against his tire to open doors, talked to his buddies - drank a beer and drove off....bet he had a hard time explain to his wife why he needed to buy a new rifle!
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

Everyone is telling there naked people tales so I will tell mine.

Back in the late 60's early 70's down around Arivaca-Ruby- California Gulch area in S AZ there were several hippie communes.

My buddy John and myself decided to go camping and do a little fishing at a little spring fed pond between Arivaca and Ruby known as Papago tanks, well we fished pretty late and I didn't wake up till around 8 and when I sat up about 50 yrds away on a little rise of ground were five young women, three were totally nude two had on sandals and shorts, they were just standing there looking at us, I put my shoes on and walked over to where John was sleeping and kicked his bag and said you better get up we have company, he said friend or foe, I said I am not sure. He got up and was all smiles, I started getting some breakfast going and he started off towards the girls, I said what are you doing, he said I am going to invite them to breakfast! We were 17 at the time.

I think I told the story here about the time I called in a blob one evening, to this day I am not 100% sure what it was but my best guess would be a black man in a Gilly suit, this was before I knew what a Gilly suit was.

One night I was exercising some hounds on Arivaca creek and came across 8 freshly killed horses about 2 AM, they were still warm and had been shot but i never heard any shots.

One time my wife had to take a couple classes up in PHY and I had a few hrs to kill so I went to the PHY zoo, I parked way off under a shade tree, there was a little stream of water that some ducks were swimming in, some of them were very colorful so I decided to take a few pictures, across the stream about 30 yrds was a bathroom anyways I stepped outside the car and started taking pictures of the ducks and the bathroom door swung open and 11 men came out with their shirts pulled over their heads and took off running

------J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

11 men in that bathroom?
It was da---d crowded.
But I have seen stranger in Phx.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I was hunting in an orange grove in southwestern Arizona, and I watched a pack of feral cats stalk and take down a good sized jack-rabbit.

It was pretty interesting until the hare started doing that scream thing.

Then it was more like some sort of zombie murder interrogation slasher flick thing where the rabbit kept screaming while the cats were ripping it apart and consuming the tasty bits while it was still alive.

:shock:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Mescalero wrote:11 men in that bathroom?
It was da---d crowded.
:o :shock: I'll bet you have.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Oh c'mon Blaine, you've been to Capitol Hill, I just know you have. :)

Cat
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Not hunting, but in a camp ground after dark... I discovered that two women cavorting about in a nylon pup tent about 50 or 60 feet away with their lantern on were probably not aware of the great shadow show they put on for the rest of the campers within ear & eyeshot who might have noticed them :o
Though it was kinda hard to keep track of the festivities what with the wife punching me :lol:
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

FWiedner wrote:...I watched a pack of feral cats stalk and take down a good sized jack-rabbit.

I watched a cat stalk a very large whitetail buck. :shock: I have no idea what he thought he was going to do once he got close enough. He never got the chance as my friend shot at the buck and scared the bejeezus out of that cat. :lol:

I have walk up on folks "getin' it on" while I was turkey hunting. I wasn't about to go the long way around the mountain just to bypass them. I think they'd just finished, so I quietly back tracked, gave them a few minutes and came down the trail again, this time making a lot more noise so they'd here me coming.

I saw a cat strung up my it's neck in the woods. That wasn't nice.

The strangest think I ever saw was "people in the trees". I hadn't been to sleep in 3 days, so my mind was a little wonky. I went out in the woods in front of the cabin and saw people up in the trees. :shock: I was kind of freaked out. I went back inside and got my friend to have him look, making sure I wasn't crazy. lmao

What it was… was people cutting trees, But they weren't supposed to be where they were. The guy must have climbed the tree but hadn't started the saw yet. When he saw me he froze, I guess hoping I wouldn't notice him.
My friend confirmed what I saw, but we both pretended we hadn't seen him. We went back inside and I loaded up the Mini-14 and handed it to my friend "Go out and shoot". "You want me to shoot at him!!!!???"
lol "No.. just go outside and shoot like normal, since we didn't see him remember?" :lol: I watched through the window and he got out of the tree pretty quick. They didn't come cut any more of our trees after that.
Slow is just slow.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

This happened to me:

I was squirrel hunting on the back of Ft Ben Harrison. Indiana had a real early squill opener, and the leaves were still on the trees. I shot, and (was pretty sure I'd hit) a big fox as it ran up the tree. I spend quite a bit of time trying to see him again, and, after awhile I sat down with my back against the tree. Lit up a smoke, and about the time my buddy was walking up, this dang dead squill fell out of the tree and hit me on the head....As my buddy tells it, you would have thought a copperhead crawled down my shorts..... :oops: :oops:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

BlaineG wrote:....As my buddy tells it, you would have thought a copperhead crawled down my shorts..... :oops: :oops:
Poor abused snake!!
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

:lol:
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Canuck Bob wrote:
BlaineG wrote:....As my buddy tells it, you would have thought a copperhead crawled down my shorts..... :oops: :oops:
Poor abused snake!!
:wink: He just got mad seeing something bigger than he was :wink:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

You are dilusional.
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

Mescalero wrote:You are dilusional.
But funny. :lol:
Click Click Boom
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

Mescalero wrote:11 men in that bathroom?
It was da---d crowded.
The strange part was I had set there for ten -15 minutes before I decided to take any pictures and no one went in or out during that time,I think they were having a gay old time in there.

------J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

That is so not right.