OT-Got kids looking for a career?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Peter M. Eick
Levergunner 2.0

OT-Got kids looking for a career?

Post by Peter M. Eick »

If they are college age and looking for an outdoor life that has some office duty, consider having them join the oil industry as a geologist and geophysicist exploring for oil. This is my job and I love it. Its been a good career and we as an industry need younger labor. Yes the industry has had its ups and downs, but all in all it has been good to me and those of us who hung on during the last couple of downturns. Finally worldwide demand and lack of exploration has outstripped supply so we have a worldwide shortage of skilled technical labor.

If a good career, outdoor life, and worldwide travel does not get them excited, then the following from this months AAPG (American Association of Petroleum Geologist) explorer (april 2008, pg 6-7) will. The following are quotes:

"35% increase in salaries over three years"
"9.45% average pay increase last year"
"17.7 salary growth ... 3-5 year experienced"
"average salary for 0-2 years experienced 82,800"
"average salary for 0-2 year experienced M.S. degree 86,600"
"average salary at 10-14 years experienced M.S. 120,000"
"same as above at 15-19 years 172,500"
"does not include bonuses, employee benefits, autos, or other prerequisites".

Bonuses commonly run up to 50% of your base salary, retention bonuses are commonly up to 100% of base salary for 3 year commitment, performance bonuses can go another 12 to 15% of base easily.

Demand for skilled creative thinking new hires who can work in a team environment and have a desire to preform are at as high as I have ever seen it.

Just some general food for thought to put in front of the next generation of workers.
38-55 & 38/44 What a combination!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

:cry:

20 years too late... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Triggernosis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Triggernosis »

I have a co-worker who used to work as a geologist for the oil industry. He said that it's a great career for and adventurous young man, but not for a family man....and only if you like to travel and hang out with roughnecks.
Tom
Eastern N.C.

NRA Rifle Instructor
4-H Rifle Instructor
HP Service Rifle competitor
Peter M. Eick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Peter M. Eick »

That is a true analysis. I travel a lot. Tomorrow is my yearly physical to certify for offshore duty. I have missed many events with the family because I have been on the boat or off some place.

But

I have been to Russia, China, Sumatra, Java, Libya, Mexico, Venezuela, Brazil, Trinidad, New Zealand, Australia, Canada, Norway, UK, and that is just off the top of my head. Sites that come to mind are coffee in the jungles of Sumatra and watching the sun rise. Working north of the arctic circle in Russia and seeing the first peak of sun, cruising the outback because we were in port in Australia, hiking the back country in Newfoundland, watching the meteor showers from the helideck at sea, imaging my first ship wreck with sidescan sonar, visiting the great wall of china many different places. The list just goes on and on.

I should add that we go to the back country. We don't stop at the tourist traps except for a meal. We go to the jungles, deserts, oceans, and the arctic back country where you really meet the natives and not the tourist types. I was thinking about back country china where we were and the kids were coming up to touch me. My translator commented that they had never seen someone so tall or so white. I was impressed. I was probably the first "American" they had ever seen.

I complain about it some times, but we see and do more then most and travel a fair amount.

Its a good job, and a good career. You just have to take the good with the bad. Right now is good, the downturns are the bad.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

My son and his wife are both Geologists with BP in Houston. They both have their M.S. degrees from Texas A&M. They met in there. They enjoy their work. He is 31 and she is 29.

Another great career is Industrial and Organizational Psychology. My daughter does with very large electric power company. She has her P.hd. and makes an obscene amount of money and she is only 35 years old. He husband is a pharmacist and has a large store in Dallas.

Pardon me if I brag on my kids..but when both of your kids are well educated, well employed and married to super fine people, a fellow can stop holding his breath and enjoy his retirement.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I'm glad you're finding crude all over the world, now come home and find it for us and get the rags off our azz (if I was still using icons, there would be a "razz" stuck in here)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

Peter, do you have any contact info for that job? I've got a friend that just graduated from A&M with a bio-environmental science degree. Are there any jobs available for that type of degree?
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Sure beats the stuff out of Family Practice... :cry:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

when I started college 30 years ago, we were still in an oil boom. By the time I got out the bottom fell out and there were no jobs in Geology w/o a masters and not many of them.

Been teaching ever since. It's a good life, though.
Ram Hammer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ram Hammer »

Ditto on a good career. I started with the oil industry 20 years ago when the oil patch was in a slump. I do the environmental side of the industry with a degree in Geological Engineering and a P.E. in Civil engineering. The first years were slow but I have been continuously employed for all 20 years and there is no end in sight. The biggest threat to job security in the oil patch is mergers or acquisitions. The first thing senior management does after a merger is look to see who is redundant. I guess that is true in any industry. But until then the pay and the benefits are great.
No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself

There's no trick to being a humorist when you have the whole government working for you.
Will Rogers
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

MY son has been working for about nine months as an electrician. He has decided he doesn't like it and now he's ready to go on to college. He's thinking about a large animal vet. I don't know if he'd like all the travel. I know I wouldn't.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Triggernosis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Triggernosis »

I work as a meteorologist doing air pollution analyses - If I had to do it over again I would pursue a career as a "man-whore" :lol: (Ever see the movie "Deuce Bigelow"? It's hilarious.
Tom
Eastern N.C.

NRA Rifle Instructor
4-H Rifle Instructor
HP Service Rifle competitor
slowhandscotty
Levergunner

Post by slowhandscotty »

I'm well ahead of you. I'm currently going back to school part time as a geology major. I just started last year. It'll take me a few years going part time but I'll get there.
-Scott
greasy dan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by greasy dan »

Pete...
Good post, especially since my baby daughter will graduate Chapel Hill in the fall with a degree in Geology, minor in Math.
I forwarded this post to her @ school... she wanted me to ask the question.
"Do you know of any internships available.?"...
Oh... and she likes to shoot too... and has all her own teeth. :D
John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart, Henry Fonda and Winchesters. I'm a kid again.
Peter M. Eick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Peter M. Eick »

Greasy Dan,

Email or PM me.

Shooter,

Every major oil company has a link on the web site for careers. Go hit all the big boys and poke around. Also your university should have recruiter contacts. They would be a big help. If not email/PM me.

To all that responded, It is a good career and I just wanted you all to consider it. Other good suggestions were also proviced.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Greasy Dan----If she wouldn't mind working in Western Colorado, then she could check with Shell Oil, William Co., Encana or Marathon. Lots of opportunity to shoot out here.

Got my Geology degree in the late 70's. Also remember Penn Square and the bust. Been up and down many times. An independent here for 20+ years and kind of semi-retired.

P.S. Niece graduated from Chapel Hill!!
greasy dan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by greasy dan »

Pete...
sent you a PM.

Thunder...
I sent her the info.
thanks.
John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart, Henry Fonda and Winchesters. I'm a kid again.