Anybody seen this yet? Takedown .45 Colt lever action

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Anybody seen this yet? Takedown .45 Colt lever action

Post by shooter »

http://www.gunblast.com/Taylors-Alaskan45.htm

Looks like a pretty neat idea. Retails for around $1,300, but I haven't ever seen one up close and don't know what the street price is. I'd definitely be interested in one if they are found to be reliable. I love the idea of a takedown, but more parts to break always makes me a little nervous.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Re: Anybody seen this yet? Takedown .45 Colt lever action

Post by Buck Elliott »

I'd take one, with a standard loop lever...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Hmmm... kinda like this'n better:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

Griff, I do like that one a bunch. I always prefer the classic look of wood, blue steel and case coloring, but for my woods guns the more weather resistant stainless and rubber overmolded stock is appealing. I have always had trouble with guns rusting, so for guns that get used often, I much prefer something that is corrosion resistant. I think it's something about the oils in my skin. I have tried every rust preventative/gun oil on the market, and I haven't had real good luck with any of them. I even rusted a stainless Springfield 1911 on the slide. It's not that I don't clean them and wipe them down. My uncle had the same problem, and so does his son. My dad and my brother don't seem to have this curse though.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Shooter, you're not alone. After I clean mine, I put them away using an old t-shirt so my bare hands don't touch metal. My wife is even more acidic, (if that's what it is), than I. If she handles a gun and doesn't wipe it down, it'll rust overnight! She denied it, til I showed her the fingerprint proof! And it was on her Colt SAA... :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

I got a Davidson Deluxe Winoku TD shipped up here and love the gun warts and all. Being a walnut and blued steel fanatic I also bought a Handi Hornet with Tonka Toy Black stocks. Now I understand the all weather allure and a rifle like that. Now I would seriously consider such a rifle with a dot sight to fit in a suitcase with an optical sight.

That would be a dandy packing rifle for anywhere. I treasure a packing rifle that fits in a suitcase. My main reason for such a rifle and making the cost acceptable. As a travelling salesman no one knows I got a rifle with me and I don't leave a gun in my truck at motels. Oil field motel parking lots are magnets for crack heads in the middle of nowhere!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I don't understand the modern practicality of a takedown, except maybe, in .22 guns, and that's only for cleaning. In my Winchester and Marlin collection, at least a dozen are takedowns in 92's, 86's, 94's, and 95's and except for the ease of cleaning from the breach, I never could find a sincere use for them. With rare exceptions, my solid frames are more accurate. In my experience, takedown 1899 Savages in high pressure cartridges are almost worthless in the accuracy department.

I've done my share of backwoods hunting, camping, whatever, and the need for a takedown never has materialized. If the need for stuffing something small on myself arises, I find a good single action Colt fills that need.

About the only benefit I have ever seen is that it's real easy to sell a takedown, even with a 20% premium. :D ----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Sixgun, we can't carry pistols here. I find the ability to carry my rifle in a standard suitcase is very valuable. I started with a new Stevens Favorite TD, then the Winoku, a Handi Hornet, and finally a 9422. For me take down is important and worth the trouble. Having travelled the north in bush planes TDs would fit nice in a Super Cub.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I find it very important to have the takedown for travel, backpacking, and MC carry. My 22lr is a takedown, as is my brockman 45-70. My bolt 375 H&H Dakota is a takedown also. And for that matter, my shotguns are takedown too. I like the feature for cleaning, packing , travel and have not noticed an accuracy differential between non, take downs, but I have no experience with the savage levers. I defer to you Jack, but I will keep my takedowns, they work for me.

Back to the OP, nice set up.

Griff, like yours too!
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I've always had a hankerin for one of Jim West's "CoPilots", and for my .357 Rossi to be a TD...

For the same reasons I put an A3 "para" stock on my HK91 and am dinking around with adapting a ROMAK underfolder stock to a spare 91/30 stock. (And if i'm going anywhere with it other than in/as the Truck Rifle, take the barreled action of my Mosin out of its stock anyway. There's only 2 honkin screws....)

Not because shooting a short pistol gripped rifle is fun, but it's simply easier to pack/tote/hide a stubby package.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mike Armstrong »

Another advantage of a takedown is that you can easily package your gun to not look like a gun while traveling with it. That was as much the real reason they were invented as anything else--you could strap the case to a bicycle or put it in the luggage rack of a train or trolley and nobody knew it was anything but ordinary luggage until you were at the hunting area or the target range.

In this age of anti-gun, anti-hunter paranoia, not to mention gun thieves, a takedown gun in an unobtrusive case is just more insurance. I only have a couple of takedowns, but they often are the guns that go with me.

And my T-C Carbine fits neatly into a backpack when taken down; nobody asks and I don't tell, but when I'm out in the baldies and clear of the Spandex brigade, out it comes. Snap, crackle, and pop, and you got you a serious cannon!
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

I built one out of a Rossi

http://rvbprecision.com/shooting/rossi- ... rsion.html

And you can buy a new Winchester (Mirkou) in 45LC, 38-40 or 44-40 in takedown at many Cabelas.
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Sixgun wrote:I don't understand the modern practicality of a takedown, except maybe, in .22 guns, and that's only for cleaning. In my Winchester and Marlin collection, at least a dozen are takedowns in 92's, 86's, 94's, and 95's and except for the ease of cleaning from the breach, I never could find a sincere use for them. With rare exceptions, my solid frames are more accurate. In my experience, takedown 1899 Savages in high pressure cartridges are almost worthless in the accuracy department.

I've done my share of backwoods hunting, camping, whatever, and the need for a takedown never has materialized. If the need for stuffing something small on myself arises, I find a good single action Colt fills that need.

About the only benefit I have ever seen is that it's real easy to sell a takedown, even with a 20% premium. :D ----6
I agree with Sixgun. I've had several takedowns thru out the years and only one of them, a '92 Winchester in .25-20, was as accurate as the same gun in a solid frame. If a person flew a lot with rifles, I don't, I guess I could see a little more practicality in them. I've got a Voo-Doo Tactical 870 shotgun scabbard that I can attach to a pack frame, 4-wheeler, tractor or just about anything, or sling it over my shoulder, that fits any 20" lever gun perfectly and really snuggles a 16" carbine deep and still allows for quick access to the gun.

As far as using a .44 mag or .45 Colt carbine for defense from large, dangerous game being better than a heavy loaded .44 mag or .45 Colt pistol....at 20' sure it is....at 6' or 6" I'd take the pistol. If I was traveling on foot, or could possibly be, I'd much rather have this http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=57868 with a slicked up actions, slightly shorter buttstock with a different rear end on it along with a good set of ghost-ring or express sights, loaded as heavy a bullet and load as I could shoot.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

man, I would LOVE a 45 colt rifle to go with my ruger bisley - but I really can't justify why i would ever NEED one. I already have a 30-30 and 35 rem. lever - not sure what the 45 would do for me any better than those two. would be sweet though.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

FLINT wrote:man, I would LOVE a 45 colt rifle to go with my ruger bisley - but I really can't justify why i would ever NEED one. I already have a 30-30 and 35 rem. lever - not sure what the 45 would do for me any better than those two. would be sweet though.
The 45Colt levergun, an inexpensive twice-by and another Ruger would complete that SASS battery... in case you ever wanted to try cowboy action. Other reasons will be forthcoming! :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

My Winchester 92 is a Turnbull worked over gun in 44-40. The best thing about the takedown is that it is very easy to clean after I shoot black powder in it at a cowboy shoot. :shock:

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm16 ... 0007-2.jpg
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

The best thing about the takedown is that it is very easy to clean after I shoot black powder in it at a cowboy shoot.
+1

And you can shoot cowboy action while traveling to the match on a motorcycle (need a Winchester 1897 Take Down shotgun)
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

rbertalotto wrote:I built one out of a Rossi

http://rvbprecision.com/shooting/rossi- ... rsion.html

And you can buy a new Winchester (Mirkou) in 45LC, 38-40 or 44-40 in takedown at many Cabelas.
Man you do great work! 8)