How would this be handled where you live?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

How would this be handled where you live?

Post by jnyork »

From the Lander, WY, daily online police and sheriff's reports:

"Officers were summoned to the area of Gannett Peak Elementary where a child reported that two other boys had pointed an Air Soft gun at him. Officers spoke to all of the parties, who were between the ages of 9 and 12 years old. The gun was recovered and the kids were taken home where the gun was returned to the parents. No charges were filed. "

Re: How would this be handled where you live?

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

All of the kids would have been jailed and faced charges. It's wacky down here. The schools are out of control and run their own kangaroo courts.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Just like That...!! ^^
Last edited by Buck Elliott on Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Full SWAT call out. After the arrests, the kids would be expelled from school, forced into mandatory counseling, and the parents would be pariahs in their community.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
rafter-7
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rafter-7 »

on school grounds.. school would handle it with detention.. just near school it would be the same

^
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

School lockdown, kids arrested, expelled. You can't point a "finger" gun around here :roll: :roll:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Gaucho Gringo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gaucho Gringo »

jeepnik wrote:Full SWAT call out. After the arrests, the kids would be expelled from school, forced into mandatory counseling, and the parents would be pariahs in their community.
Unfortunately, the same unfortunate scenario here also. In a more sane time in the 50-60's scenes like this were commonplace
Mainstreet.jpg
Mainstreet.jpg
The gun toting young lady on the right contrary to popular opinion nowadays did not grow up to be a gun toting murderer. She recently retired after spending 40 years as a corporate officer in the banking industry.(please no wisecracks) How I wish for a time machine to go back to a more rational time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

BlaineG wrote:School lockdown, kids arrested, expelled. You can't point a "finger" gun around here :roll: :roll:
Yup, sad to say but here too. Common sense is long gone
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
K1500
Levergunner 2.0

Post by K1500 »

It didn't happen in a school, it happened near a school.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Given what happened in Lander about 10 years ago when the ROTC kid was walking back to school with his 1903 Demilled Drill Rifle after practicing D&C over the weekend (no.arrest, but a full lockdown...) I must say that the PD finally got back into the proper mindset.

I really need to find a job back there (if not Lander, Riverton will do...)
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

How would you handle it if it were your own kid?
Airsoft gun would be in the trash, in accordance with known expectations and boundaries.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

If it was my kid I'd just teach him/her gun safety. In this case don't point a gun at something you don't want to shoot...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

jnyork wrote:From the Lander, WY, daily online police and sheriff's reports:

"Officers were summoned to the area of Gannett Peak Elementary where a child reported that two other boys had pointed an Air Soft gun at him. Officers spoke to all of the parties, who were between the ages of 9 and 12 years old. The gun was recovered and the kids were taken home where the gun was returned to the parents. No charges were filed. "

Given todays worlld and being afraid they could have gotten shot by LEO thinking real gun, yep lose the gun and if couple days off fine. Also a good chewing out and grounded few days with no electronic stuff.

Key focus what were you thinking taking a gun even be it airsoft TO SCHOOL THEN POINTING IT AT A KID.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

mikld wrote:If it was my kid I'd just teach him/her gun safety. In this case don't point a gun at something you don't want to shoot...
that was my point, but if your kid has already pointed the airsoft gun at another person, you're beginning too late.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

The cops wouldn't have even got called around here -- Prineville kids are using these airsoft guns for "war games", just like their dads are using paintball guns. Airsoft stuff is cheaper and cleaner than paintball stuff and is being used similarly.

Has the entire rest of the nation gone nuts?
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

earlmck wrote:The cops wouldn't have even got called around here -- Prineville kids are using these airsoft guns for "war games", just like their dads are using paintball guns. Airsoft stuff is cheaper and cleaner than paintball stuff and is being used similarly.

Earl,

The key thing though is are they using them at the school and even further while school is in progress. ??
I know its a shame the kids can't do the stuff we could but man oh man school,kids,guns thanks to the media boy is that asking for trouble. :wink:
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

earlmck wrote:The cops wouldn't have even got called around here -- Prineville kids are using these airsoft guns for "war games", just like their dads are using paintball guns. Airsoft stuff is cheaper and cleaner than paintball stuff and is being used similarly.

At close range, air soft, AIN'T :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

madman4570 wrote: The key thing though is are they using them at the school and even further while school is in progress. ??
I know its a shame the kids can't do the stuff we could but man oh man school,kids,guns thanks to the media boy is that asking for trouble. :wink:
As often the case with news reports, It looks like they were not in school or likely not on school property, but close enough to mention the school for more drama.

If you look at the wording, the writer was careful to include the name of the school without saying the event took place at the school, in the hopes that people make the conclusion that it tok place at school. It is the assumption most would make when casually reading the article.
Nothing about school personnel mentioned.

Here it would likely be handled the same way - let the parents take care of it. It is kind of a big deal, since airsoft can take out an eye, so the parents should deal with it strongly.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

About the same.....if they were on school property during school hours they likely would have been suspended from school as well for 2 weeks. Probably some follow up by social services with the families too. The judges and LEO and school administrators in this area are pretty down to earth, common sense types. They make mistakes but they try not to make mountains out of mole hills
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Full SWAT call out. After the arrests,

And they would have had to shoot at least one dog......
jcw
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jcw »

What Blaine said. Unfortunately.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Y2K almost had this happen to him years ago. He was playing with some other boys in a wooded area near our neighborhood, and some other kids wandered into the "field of fire". They violated an important run of knowing who your target is. Other kids complained, but fortunately parents solved this without the "aid" of the police. I'd hope they'd have viewed it for what it was. Here there is a good chance - as long as none of the parents are nitwits...
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

I grew up with heroes of restraint. Their guns were their last resort.
Then the villain became the hero and shoot first and let the god of hollywood sort it out became the rule.
(this includes Dirty Harry, who is anything but a type hero)
Then grownups started shooting paintball and kids started shooting airsoft at each other.
This is why they're coming for your firearms.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

earlmck wrote:

Yes :o
----- Doug
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

7.62 Precision wrote:
madman4570 wrote: The key thing though is are they using them at the school and even further while school is in progress. ??
As often the case with news reports, It looks like they were not in school or likely not on school property, but close enough to mention the school for more drama.

If you look at the wording, the writer was careful to include the name of the school without saying the event took place at the school, in the hopes that people make the conclusion that it tok place at school. It is the assumption most would make when casually reading the article.
Nothing about school personnel mentioned.

Here it would likely be handled the same way - let the parents take care of it. It is kind of a big deal, since airsoft can take out an eye, so the parents should deal with it strongly.

Yes, I bet you are right.
In the area verses on school property!
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

I live in California.

Whatever you guess, however outrageous, would most likely happen in most counties here.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

When I was in high school we had 'School Spirit Week'. One of the days was called 'Shady Character Day'. Everyone (about 900 students) dressed up in trench coats and brought guns to school. We carried them all day long so every class change the halls were filled with high school students carrying guns ... real guns, not airsoft ones. By the way, no one got shot. Even the teachers got in the act. That was way back around 1971. Although the halls were filled with students and guns all day long, I don't even recall anyone actually pointing a gun at someone else. We were all taught by our parents to only point it at what you were actually going to shoot.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Well when I was a kid...a lot of the boys and a few of the girls would bring both toy and real rifles (most were decommissioned, no firing pins), along with military helmets, web belts, khakis, and such to play war during the lunch hour.

Can't remember anyone getting in trouble, heck...one of the teachers brought a old barrack gun rack where we all displayed our finest while in class!
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

jnyork wrote:From the Lander, WY, daily online police and sheriff's reports: