ruger 77/357 feeding issues

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Treeman72
Levergunner 2.0

ruger 77/357 feeding issues

Post by Treeman72 »

So I proudly bought a 77/357, and it is pretty nice. But the darned thing requires a mighty bolt thrust to feed the last two rounds. Brass shavings are left in the chamber area from the force to feed the rounds. I'll post some pics when I can. Is this usual breaking in a new rifle? Or are there some serious problems for the factory or a smith to resolve?

Kinda looks like the extractor is blocking feeding a bit. Pictures should illuminate my concerns a bit.

Any advice is welcome
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Re: ruger 77/357 feeding issues

Post by FWiedner »

No, that's not normal.

If the feed issue is only occuring on the last couple of rounds, the first thing I'd look at is your magazine.

:idea:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I have one in 44 Mag, and it fed smoothly from the start, so I think something's wrong.

Pictures hopefully will help 'us' sort out the problem...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Treeman72
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Treeman72 »

Here it goes. I have some pictures of the problems at hand.

First up, the magazine has developed jagged burrs and brass shavings.
Next, the chamber has accumulated some brass shavings.
The round sits nicely, and the extractor slides over the rim of the cartridge.

On the last two rounds, the cartridge sits differently in the magazine, and the extractor fails to slide over the rim. A sharp push of the bolt is needed to chamber it. I imagine that is the source of the brass shavings.

The pictures are in the opposite order I described, but the desired illustrative effect is still there
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

My scientific wild azz guess is that since it's only on the last couple, AND, its at the top of the chamber, I "guess" is that the mag spring is not pushing the new round up far enough.....Can you try another mag?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Treeman72
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Treeman72 »

At $40 a mag, gonna take the rifle to ruger repair and replace the mag. Cycled about 30 magnum rounds yesterday and cleaned it.
Steelbanger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Steelbanger »

I too had feeding problems with the 44 Mag. version of this rifle. Bullet type didn't matter as they all jammed getting into the chamber. I figured it was the magazine so I called Ruger and they sent me a new one, along with another request, new rings that were the next height down from those furnished with the rifle. I got these parts in a few days but the different magazine didn't help. Per Rugers request I mailed back the parts that were replaced. I tried to make the new magazine work but nothing helped so I called Ruger again. They suggested I return the rifle for evaluation. They emailed a shipping label and contacted UPS to pick up the rifle. Under a two week turn-around brought the rifle back in perfect working condition and with all types of bullets too. Ruger surely did right by me, which is just what I would expect from them.

I hunted a few days with it loaded with Ranch Dog's 265 gr. FN but no shots were presented. Oh well,maybe next year.
"He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present, than the living man."
Antoine de Saint-Expuéry

Steelbanger, N.R.A. Life
PRPA Member
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Ruger WILL make it right. They are some of the best when it comes to customer support. Give them a call and explain your concerns. Be polite and have the model and serial number handy.
Treeman72
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Treeman72 »

Thanks everyone. Good to know the folks at ruger are professional and competent.

I want this rifle to work so badly. It will be a thing of beauty when it does.