259xxxx Winchester 94

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rocknut
Levergunner

259xxxx Winchester 94

Post by Rocknut »

So I found myself a pre 64 winchester on gb. I thought I would share some pics. It's a late model starting with 2,593,xxx. I was under the impression that the pre 64 models ended with the 258xxxx range so the serial number was a bit of a surprise. It's in really nice condition. The PO swapped a large loop lever and some fiber optic sights on it but the originals are included so I figure I can sell the aftermarket parts and make some money back. I gave $475 for it, think I did all right...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rocknut
Levergunner

Re: 259xxxx Winchester 94

Post by Rocknut »

Some more pics...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

That's a nice Winchester. I'd take that big lever off too. As for the sights I'd put a receiver sight and a patridge front sight on it.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Nice - The highest found & verified pre-64 SN is 2,599,632 - although the Polishing Room Records indicate that the highest 1963 (pre-64) SN processed is SN 2,599,694.

The lowest found & verified 1964 SN is 2,703,262.

Rocknut
Levergunner

Post by Rocknut »

J Miller wrote:That's a nice Winchester. I'd take that big lever off too. As for the sights I'd put a receiver sight and a patridge front sight on it.

Joe
Thank you Sir! I've been weighing my options on the sights but have been thinking about putting the stock ones on and leaving it that way since it's so nice. If I do that, I'll have to find another one since I have a 14 year old that's counting on getting his first deer this year. I had been looking at the providence tool sights and may still try one of those on a 94. I've been watching for a redfield or older Lyman but with no luck.

Pete44ru wrote:.

Nice - The highest found & verified pre-64 SN is 2,599,632 - although the Polishing Room Records indicate that the highest 1963 (pre-64) SN processed is SN 2,599,694.

Thank you for the info. I'm pretty happy to get one of the last to roll off the line...
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Before you go changing parts, you just might want to go to the range with that thing just the way it is. I need the fiber optic sights these days but keep all the factory stuff so I can put it back to original if I ever sell(yeah right). I have a Henry with the large loop and it works well for me, but it's all personal preference. Nice piece. Good luck with it. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Dave B
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Dave B »

Very nice!!! :D :D :D
I hope to someday find one made in 1963 just like that.
Happy shooting,

Dave B
b79holmes
Levergunner

Post by b79holmes »

Rocknut wrote:
J Miller wrote:That's a nice Winchester. I'd take that big lever off too. As for the sights I'd put a receiver sight and a patridge front sight on it.

Joe
Thank you Sir! I've been weighing my options on the sights but have been thinking about putting the stock ones on and leaving it that way since it's so nice. If I do that, I'll have to find another one since I have a 14 year old that's counting on getting his first deer this year. I had been looking at the providence tool sights and may still try one of those on a 94. I've been watching for a redfield or older Lyman but with no luck.
Pete44ru wrote:.

Thank you for the info. I'm pretty happy to get one of the last to roll off the line...

The document I have been using says the 1964's started at 2,700,000. I don't think I can post the URL which throws up a PDF but if you Google for: "Winchester Repeating Arms -- Date of Manufacture by Year" you will get it.

Bill
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Bill, FYI, I'm speaking to the horse's mouth - The Winchester Polishing Room Records & a few long-time esteemed members of the Winchester Collector's Assoc - so AFAIK, it's gospel.

If you notice, I cited my source as saying: "Lowest found & verified", not "thought to be" or "should be", or "definitely is".

Who, knows, maybe somebody has the 1st post-64 with that special/even SN with that string of zeroes, usually reserved for presentation guns by gunmakers - but nobody has yet to find or come forth with it, or any of the other 3200-odd rifles SN'd from 2,7000,000 and 2,703,262.

I'd have thought, by now, that at least one of those 3200-odd rifles would have surfaced.

Last edited by Pete44ru on Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

I'm glad you posted that information, Pete... I always thought 2.8 million was the cut-off. Now I know better!