Updated Dillon 550Bs

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

Updated Dillon 550Bs

Post by Griff »

No! Not from Dillon, but after they sent me my new parts last month, I hadn't had a chance to put the parts in, adjust and load anything. So, it's 45ºF out... but with the propane heater in the barn workshop, it's workable.

For my two Dillon 550B I have 3 powder drops... so Dillon sent me (per my request), just 2 large powder bars, but 3 smalls. This way, I can leave one set up for just pistols, and swap out the others as needed.

My son ordered two of the Uniquetek Micrometer Powder Bar Kit and two of the Hit Factor Shellplate Bearing Kits, which I also installed. The bearing kit consists of a new shell index sprocket that allows room for a pair of washers, (one either side of the bearing), and a Torrington® bearing.

I found it much easier to adjust the powder bar, even over the oversized knobs that I got from the hardware store. Being able to see small graduations makes it much simpler to get that extra tenth of a grain to bring that load right where you want it.

With the shellplate bearing kit, you can tighten the shellplate to eliminate almost all the "wiggle" out it, AND, still easily turn it. I think it's MUCH smoother.

Sorry no, pictures, but the links above show some.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Updated Dillon 550Bs

Post by CowboyTutt »

That's good info Griff. I'm going to look into the shell plate bearing kits. I've had this micrometer adjustment on my Dillon for some time but I don't even remember who made it any more. -Tutt

"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I have both the toolhead-stabilizer, and micrometer-bar kits (from Unique-Tek), and they are VERY well made and sensible kits.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

Griff, I shouldn't have sold you that 550, I'm so dumb sometimes. :roll:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

ceb wrote:Griff, I shouldn't have sold you that 550, I'm so dumb sometimes. :roll:
Interestingly enough, it sat almost unused until about 2 years ago... I started loading a bunch of .38Spl brass that had not been loaded since my wife last shot a match in 1995. My son was asking me a bunch of questions and followed me out to the shop... and joined in pullin' the handle. He loaded about 1,000 rounds while I loaded 45Colts and 45ACPs on the old machine. Then a little over a year ago, we bought our 1st ARs and he went to a couple of 3-Gun matches. I bought a RCBS SB 223 dies, a shellplate and a micrometer adjustable seating die. He then bought a second "match" set from Redding, and after buying a STI "Edge" in 40S&W he's started in on loading his own ammo.

So... while I didn't need it when I bought it, it's been absolutely fun loading ammo alongside my son. Thank you so much.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

DocAJ, that tool head stabilizer looks REALLY interesting. I'm going to add that to my 550B. I have both the 550B and a Lyman turret press. I have to admit, I often find the Lyman more user friendly and better for making competition grade cartridges using a digital powder scale. The Dillon mechanical powder drop is its biggest weakness if you ask me (although the primer feed can be persnickety at times). Some ball powders measure quite well in the Dillon but tubular granules not so much IMHO. This is a common weakness in most (maybe all?) mechanical powder drops though. Its been a while since I looked at what is out there using mechanical powder drops but last I looked, despite incredible claims, the Dillon was still about as accurate as any of them. Maybe that has changed in the last 2 years though. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Tutt,

My son also bought the toolhead clamp kit and two of their CNC machined toolheads. I loaded one up with my .223 dies and loaded two test runs of just 10 rounds each... The stability of the toolhead on the powder measure gave me better consistency in powder drops from round to round than I've previously been able to get. I weighed each charge after it was dropped and didn't have half a 10th grain difference amongst all 10 rounds in each group.

All in all, I think between the bearing kit, the Micrometer powder bar and toolhead stabilizer, these are 3 products that everyone should have on their press.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I would agree old friend!! 8)

-Tutt