If you were to own one 30-06

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Re: If you were to own one 30-06

Post by Bronco »

Got mine...Sporterized 03-A3 done when I was 13 proud then. .sentimental about it now :)

parkerized everything..cept the bolt ..was turned to accommodate scope 1 1/2 " groups at a hundred with nosler partitions 180's nothing to look at but a good reliable OLD friend :mrgreen:

John
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
Molasses
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Molasses »

If I were to own one .30-06, I'd be unhappy about the half dozen or so that I had to get rid of to get down to that point. :cry:
Some of the others that'd have to go have already been mentioned in this thread, but this is the one I'd choose to keep under the OP's standards:
resized.JPG
Mannlicher Schoenauer Model MC rifle that's been put into a cut-down carbine stock. In the picture it's wearing an old Lyman All-American 4X, but these days it has an old Bushnell 4X w. Command Post reticle.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Molasses
SASS #925 Life
NRA Life
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

rjohns94 wrote:Hmm, 2 Garands. Great rifles. I have even used them for hunting but I don't know that I would go to them for the one 30-06 to be used for North American hunting. For instance, I can hunt with a semi here in Pa. But it is interesting to me that 2 Garands were mentioned already. They are my favorite rifle all time though! Keep the thoughts coming. You are giving me much to think about.
You CAN hunt in PA. with a semi-auto centerfire?
ndcowboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ndcowboy »

It would be a Ruger #1. No doubt. Especially since I own two of them in 30-06 already.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

No you can not hunt in pa with a semi auto rifle. I corrected my typo
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Mike,

I bet most wouldn't do this but we used our M1 in Pa for Deer and Bear hunting using manual cycle mode.
Simply plugged the gas port which was "spot welded" only.
Least some years back the Pa GC was ok with that. Also changing it back to prior condition no issue.
One thing using the Garand in manual cycle, the weight combined with just the fast pull back and let er go made for an extremely fast action gun and actually was in no hurry to change it back.

Always used the Remington 150gr PSP and it worked extremely well.

Again not for everybody. :wink:
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

rjohns94 wrote:No you can not hunt in pa with a semi auto rifle. I corrected my typo

I beg to differ !

"You"can hunt in PA with a semi auto" ,you just better not let the bunny warden catch you :lol:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Ok, hunt legally?
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
samb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by samb »

BSA Majestic Featherweight. Love it, crafted by a group of artists and craftsmen in 1952. It is my go to gun. Fits me like nothing else.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Pics?
Mike Johnson,

Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

I had a couple of M1 Grands a Winchester I got from the CMP for $121.00 and a Match Grade Springfield I won the state matches with. I traded them both off after I got this Belgian FN-49. It out shot my match grade, loads from 5 rd stripper clips, has a 10 rd mag, and is a smooth shooter. My only 30-06 I have left as I let the others go.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It is not the critic who counts
roundup
Levergunner 1.0

Post by roundup »

I agree with Cowboy Tutt on the Springfield.

I have my Uncle's old Springfield serial#808,xxx, 1918 manufacture. It has the original 4 groove barrel. Otherwise it has been much modified. Has a Buehler safety for scope use, an altered bold handle, quick lock main spring, One piece Redfield scope base, Leupold split rings, Leupold 4x scope, button release on the floor plate, an after market molded stock which I glass bedded. I can still get 1" to 1 1/2" groups from my handloads.

My uncle shot countless mule deer in Colorado and Utah with it. I shot my first elk and bear with it plus blacktails and mulies in Oregon plus a coyote or two.. My son-in-law now uses it . Shot his first elk with it.

I'm trying to figure out who gets custody of this fine old rifle one of these days.
Happy Trails!
roundup
Levergunner 1.0

Post by roundup »

Bronco:

The 180 gr. Nosler partition id the sole cartridge I use in my old Springfield. Use 60 gr. of H-4831. Doesn't chrono all that great, avg. 5 shots 2680 fps but shoots great!
Happy Trails!
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

I do own only one 30/06 my Winchester 95 SRC.Its one of the reissue 95s, the action is slick as snot,easy to carry in the woods,can put a receiver sight on it if need be and the best reason is it is as classy as all get out and will get the job done.

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

My "Go To" has been my grandfather's '03 sporter since my dad gave it to my on my 30th birthday so naturally that would be my first choice of my '06s. Close second is my 95 SRC which happens to be the first Winchester I ever bought.

If I were to start new I'd be looking at the Ruger Guide rifle too. I like the looks of it. From there I'd track down a model 70, which I will eventually anyway. Love those rifles.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Here's my only 30-06 that I own at this time. It's one of the older Browning's before Winchester started putting rebounding hammers and and top tang safety on them. I added the recoil pad and drilled it for the Williams receiver sight. I still have some 200gr round nose Winchester Silver tips that it seems to shoot quite well.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mike Armstrong »

Ruger 1B with a Leupold 1X4 variable scope and sling.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Hmm, Remington custom shop Model 7 MS(mannlicher stock) or a Good double rifle (Chapuis or Kreigoff). My O3A3 is close
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

My sole 30-06 would be a Remington 7600 slide action rifle with 2X - 7X scope. Reason is because I really like Remington slide action rifles very much. Brand of scope is not important to me.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

My 30-06 choice: Winchester Model 70 Classic Featherweight:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =392305272

Except I might look for an earlier Classic "red pad" model, although there's a lot to be said for the decelerator pad for the '06 caliber.

My .270 Win Featherweight "red pad" stock:

Or...I'd want a Model 70 Classic 30-06 Super Grade with this grade stock:

The top stock actually is for the Super Grade 100th Anniversary 30-06 model that Winchester planned to come out with but never completed production on because of the New Haven plant closing.

If price were no object I'd find an early pre-64 Model 70 Super Grade in mint condition.

One 30-06...I'd have to have a Winchester!!!
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

I think this topic proves there is no such thing as a "bad" .30-06.

My younger bro owns a Howa boltgun he bought at a gun show for $150 as backup for his Remington 700 when going elk hunting. Has a used Simmons 4X on it, and it's ugly as all get out but will shoot with his Remington and his buddy's Ruger 77 all day long.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Steelbanger »

Until I really got into leverguns I had many bolt actions. One of the main bolt guns is still with me, a Ruger M77RS from about 1976-77. That rifle has killed more than a few deer but has been a safe queen these last dozen years or so.
"He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present, than the living man."
Antoine de Saint-Expuéry

Steelbanger, N.R.A. Life
PRPA Member
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Larkbill wrote:I think this topic proves there is no such thing as a "bad" .30-06.

My younger bro owns a Howa boltgun he bought at a gun show for $150 as backup for his Remington 700 when going elk hunting. Has a used Simmons 4X on it, and it's ugly as all get out but will shoot with his Remington and his buddy's Ruger 77 all day long.

Anyone ever stuck carrying an M1919A6 would disagree with you. :)
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Not claiming they are the best but I have two 30-06`s. I inherited both, a BAR 1st year I think, beligum browning from a uncle, and from dad a Remington pump 760. I have a lot of rifles and cant say I use them heavy. The browning is a fine gun but overly heavy. That leads me to this surprise, dads 760 remington. Years ago dad had a winchester model 64 in .32 special. Dad was in his 70s or 80s when he traded it for this remington! When I found out I almost bit my lip off but said nothing. Dad shot a nice buck with the remington when he was 86 or 87! Dad died at 90 and amoungst a few more family guns that I inherited was the remington. I set it in the back of the safe as I have many other fine and "sophisticated" rifles. A couple years ago I got around to trying it off the bench. I got a surprise! It is accurate with its peep sight. Okay, the 760 is accurate, fast to shoot and light to carry, probley one of the cheapest guns to buy out there in that caliber, Whats not to like?

I tried to post a picture of dads remington but I have too many pixels wide.