94 AE Manufacture Date?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
oldmax
Levergunner 2.0

94 AE Manufacture Date?

Post by oldmax »

I was trying to find out approx. Year of Manufacture.

No luck on the internet search....

94 AE Saddle ring carbine 45 Colt, no Safety , Rebounding hammer.
Serial number is 5590xxx,

Also, What is the " Name " ? Trapper, etc...

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[Also, What is the " Name " ?]

It's name is: "Hog Popper" :mrgreen:
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

oldmax,

Your 94AE is a "Trapper" model, and it was made 1986 to 1991.

There is no serial number chart that I know of after USRAC took over the Winchester line. The info I have came from OD who used to post here.
Rebounding hammer introduced 1981
Angle Eject introduced 1983
.45 Colt Trapper model introduced 1985
Hammers drilled and tapped for offset extension introduced 1986
Bull barrels introduced for Trappers 1991
Link pin retaining screw returns in 1991
Cross bolt safety introduced 1992
Tang safety introduced 2004
Mdl 94, 70 and 1300 discontinued March 2006
Hope this helps some.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
OD*
Member Emeritus

Post by OD* »

Looks like it was made in '89;
1989 to 5,527,732
1990 to 5,612656

Yours is a Trapper because of the walnut stocks, if it were Birch, it would be a Ranger.
Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
End the cycle of hatred, don't give them a tomorrow.
Duff L Bagg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Duff L Bagg »

I couldn't get a good look at it, would it be possible to enlarge the picture just a little bit. :)

Really Baby, I swear that it just followed me home.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Duff L Bagg wrote:I couldn't get a good look at it, would it be possible to enlarge the picture just a little bit. :)
+1 :lol:
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

J Miller wrote:oldmax,

There is no serial number chart that I know of after USRAC took over the Winchester line. The info I have came from OD who used to post here.
Hope this helps some.

Joe
Joe -

Not to be picky but the Tang Safety was introduced in 2003. I just looked at my Winchester 2003 Catalog to verify it. I know you didn't make up the list but perhaps you'd like the info to correct the list.
ED
Yer never too old
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Probably 1991.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

OD*
Member Emeritus

Post by OD* »

It has the thin barrel and by it serial number it's a 1989.
Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

OD wrote:Looks like it was made in '89;
1989 to 5,527,732
1990 to 5,612656

Yours is a Trapper because of the walnut stocks, if it were Birch, it would be a Ranger.
Well, Hello there OD, how ya doing?

So now you have some serial numbers and dates, has there been a list developed somewhere that might be available to the rest of us, or is this a collectors secret list?

ED,
Thanks for the correction, I'll make a note of it.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

OD wrote:It has the thin barrel and by it serial number it's a 1989.
OD -

Where'd you get your list of Manufacture Dates? How about sharing it with all of us?
ED
Yer never too old
OD*
Member Emeritus

Post by OD* »

J Miller wrote:
OD wrote:Looks like it was made in '89;
1989 to 5,527,732
1990 to 5,612656

Well, Hello there OD, how ya doing?

So now you have some serial numbers and dates, has there been a list developed somewhere that might be available to the rest of us, or is this a collectors secret list?

ED,
Thanks for the correction, I'll make a note of it.

Joe
I'm fine Joe, and yourself?
I got the list from JBledsoe on Shooters Forum, I think he'd send you the list if you PM'd him. At the time he asked me not to give it out because it wasn't finished, IIRC, and I not certain where it stands now.
OD*
Member Emeritus

Post by OD* »

Modoc ED wrote:
OD wrote:It has the thin barrel and by it serial number it's a 1989.
OD -

Where'd you get your list of Manufacture Dates? How about sharing it with all of us?
See post to Joe. :wink:
OD*
Member Emeritus

Post by OD* »

Modoc ED wrote:
J Miller wrote:oldmax,

Hope this helps some.

Joe
Joe -

Not to be picky but the Tang Safety was introduced in 2003. I just looked at my Winchester 2003 Catalog to verify it. I know you didn't make up the list but perhaps you'd like the info to correct the list.
Do you by chance have a 2002 Winchester catalog? The 2004 date isn't mine, I sold a tang safetied model in 2002, IIRC.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

OD

Yes, I have the Winchester 2002 Catalog right in front of me. The Model 94s in that catalog are equipped with the Cross Bolt Safety only.

I also have the Winchester 2003 Catalog right in front of me. It is quite clear in that catalog that the Top Tang Safety was introduced in the Model 94 in 2003. They make a big production of the Top Tang Safety and speak at length about doing away with the Cross Bolt Safety in order to bring back the lines of the original Model 94. The catalog even has one of those flags they use to draw the customers attention to an item that has "NEW" in it and the words Top-Tang Safety under it.

The only explanation that I can come up with that you were able to sell a Top-Tang Safety Model 94 in 2002 is that Winchester may have sold some in late 2002 much like Detroit starts selling say their 2008 modeld in the fall of 2007. However, I personally don't much stock in that explanation.

I wasn't trying to be picky, obstinate, or critical when I told Joe about the Top-Tang Sagety date/year error. Just passing some info on that I have first hand. When I got my first Top-Tang Safety Model 94, I researced info on it very heavily.

How about if you contact Bledsoe and ask him if you can release the list of dates he provided to you. I find it just a little irritating that you can give out numbers and dates of production on a one-to-one basis but can't release the whole list. UNDERSTAND: I'm not irritated at YOU but the SITUATION. So please give Bledsoe a jingle and ask him to let you release the list. Inquiring minds want to know.

What manufacture date do you have for Serial # 6525XXX?

You probably know but for those that don't, the book "The Winchester Model 94 the First 100 Years" by Robert C. Renneberg is a treasure trove of information on the Model 94 as is the book "Winchester's 30-30, Model 94 the Rifle America Loves" by Sam Fadala. Both books are out of print but are readily available at www.amazon.com
ED
Yer never too old
oldmax
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldmax »

Thanks all, !!!!!

Didn't even consider stock wood, it does look like a decent stock..

SORRY, about the big picture, I have not mastered the " Picture"
Thing yet, It was normal size on my computer and the link site I sent it to,
( been using the TDR forum to upload )
Some how it Got bigger in transit,
Been trying to downsize it all morning,
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

The reason it looks normal in your computer is because you have "Automatic Image Resizing" turned on.

Go to:
START
Control Panel
Internet Options
Advanced Tab
Multimedia

If the "Enable Automatic Image Resizing" box is checked then your OS autimatically makes the image fit your screen no matter what size the picture. Un-check it to see the actual size of the pictures in your computer.

You can edit the size of your picture in "Paint"

First move the picture from your film media (from you camera) to a file or folder.

Open any folder/file with a picture in it
Right click on picture (BEFORE maximizing it by left clicking on it)
Click EDIT
Click IMAGE
Click Stretch/Skew
Change Horizontal & Vertical to value wanted
Click OK
Click YES on save changes

Here is your picture edited via Paint.
When I clicked on Stretch/Skew and it opened, I made the Horizontal and Verticl values 25% each.

Paint is pretty easy to use but I'd say you ought to get some photo editing software.

I don't consider this little coaching session as stealing your thread because it is intended to help you and after all it is your thread. Hope you're not POed about it. Thought you could use the help.
ED
Yer never too old
oldmax
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldmax »

It works, and simple....
I never new about the advanced settings in internet options.!!!!

And Paint works, also...

I feel STUPID :oops:

Thanks ,MUCH appreciated !!!!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

OD - are those #s beginning the year or ending? The way you stated it they sound like ending #s.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

OD,

JBledsoe's attitude towards me is the main reason I do not post over on Beartooth Shooters Forum much any more. Not only has he just about taken over the Win 94 section, but he has acted towards me as if I'm a buffoon for stating what I knew on that forum. I always state that what I print is according to the information I have, so there is no, zero, nada, zip reason for his attitude.

If you would check with him and post his list we would all appreciate it. As for contacting him ... I'll pass.

Joe
OD*
Member Emeritus

Post by OD* »

Old Savage wrote:OD - are those #s beginning the year or ending? The way you stated it they sound like ending #s.
Correct, OS, ending numbers.
OD*
Member Emeritus

Post by OD* »

J Miller wrote:OD,

JBledsoe's attitude towards me is the main reason I do not post over on Beartooth Shooters Forum much any more. Not only has he just about taken over the Win 94 section, but he has acted towards me as if I'm a buffoon for stating what I knew on that forum. I always state that what I print is according to the information I have, so there is no, zero, nada, zip reason for his attitude.

If you would check with him and post his list we would all appreciate it. As for contacting him ... I'll pass.

Joe
When I get back over there I'll send him a PM, Joe.