Couple of Remington shotguns

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Couple of Remington shotguns

Post by getitdone1 »

Here's an article about the Remington model 1100. Note they say it, thus far, has proven to be the most reliable of semi-auto shotguns. I have the LT-20 like they used in their test. I would have thought the recoil operated Browning A-5 would have been the most reliable with less things to go wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remington_Model_1100

Remington model 31 pump. They refer to it as a "ball bearing" slide-action and say that some consider it to be the best pump shotgun ever made. Were ball bearings actually used in this gun and does anyone here own one?

Don
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Couple of Remington shotguns

Post by madman4570 »

Great info Don thanks.
Also got a LT20 1100 Skeet for wife. That gun has been absolute perfect for 25 years.
Let's put it this way, would bet my life on that action and not blink!
Least that gun we got! :lol:
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

getitdone1 wrote:Here's an article about the Remington model 1100. Note they say it, thus far, has proven to be the most reliable of semi-auto shotguns. I have the LT-20 like they used in their test. I would have thought the recoil operated Browning A-5 would have been the most reliable with less things to go wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remington_Model_1100

Remington model 31 pump. They refer to it as a "ball bearing" slide-action and say that some consider it to be the best pump shotgun ever made. Were ball bearings actually used in this gun and does anyone here own one?

Don
Consider the source............... The 1100 may/may not be the most reliable GAS gun; but (with proper load levels) an A5 will shoot until the recoil spring weakens (usually about 60-70 years), and an A5 doesn't have any O-rings to fail, not gas ports to unplug, etc, etc, etc.

Also, I'm pretty sure they meant the action felt like it had (smooth-operating) ball bearings, not that ball bearings were actually used in the action.

North Country Gal
Levergunner 2.0

Post by North Country Gal »

Depends on how they define reliability. I shot A5s and 1100s for years. Of the two, the 1100s had fewer jams as long as you kept the gun even reasonably clean. The LT 20s were real sweethearts in the field, too. As nice an upland gun as was ever made.

With my A5s, just every once in awhile, one wouldn't cycle. Not enough to be a problem, just a random thing, for whatever reason, even though I kept them clean. The A5s, though, would fire even after dropping the gun in the mud at the bottom of the duck blind (happened to me more than once) making sure the barrel was clear, first, of course. A friend had an A5 that he had NEVER cleaned in the 5 years we hunted ducks, together and the gun was already well used and beat up when he bought it. The darn thing was a rust bucket and so full of gunk it was a horror to behold. It was a case of gun abuse for sure, but darned if that A5 didn't just keep right on shooting all the same. Amazingly tough guns.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Have you ever completely disassembled an auto five? There are lots of tiny parts in there to "go wrong". That said they don`t fail often but do get dirty and keeping the 1100 clean is about all it needs to keep running. I shot an 1100 for trap doubles and singles for years and a stoppage is very rare.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

The Remington model 31. I've done a little more reading about it. Pete. you're right. it doesn't have ball bearings it was just their way of saying it was a real slick working action. I've read it's easier to operate than the Winchester model 12 and it's true some prefer the 31--or the Ithaca model 37 over the model 12--but seems a greater percentage of shooters prefer the model 12. I've had the Ithaca and I believe that's what I'd go to if I get the pump shotgun fever again. Actually I'm totally sold on the better semi-autos.

I've read the model 31 Remington was more expensive to make than the, later, model 870. That plus how slick they say the action is does make me want to see one and work it's action.

Yeah, I really wonder if the Remington 1100 is more dependable than the Browning A-5. Good thing is you can go with either and be in fine shape.

Don
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

My Dad bought his Auto-5 at the factory in 1953 for $89, courtesy of being on Uncle Sam's draft list and getting sent to Germany to serve in the Air Force. He cleaned the barrel, and the spring and that bushing which you turned around depending on high power or low power loads. In 1981 in slam fired when he flipped the magazine cutoff lever to load it. The shot went into the dirt about 3 feet in front of him, and more than 10 feet from anyone else. He unloaded it and put it away until he could take it apart and clean it at home. Almost 30 years and over 5 thousand rounds(estimated from 30 years of dove, pheasant, and quail hunting and informal clay pigeon shooting at least once a month in the off season) of dirt, powder residue, and what-not, had built up and the firing pin could not go fully backwards. That was the one and only failure for that particular A-5, and it it was in use until about 10 years ago when a knee injury stopped him from hunting Pheasant anymore. I can only speak for that one, but it is one heck of a tough and reliable shotgun.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost