opinions on basic savage mark 2 22lr

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Treeman72
Levergunner 2.0

opinions on basic savage mark 2 22lr

Post by Treeman72 »

I am in the market for a no frills 22. I had forgotten how useful an old fashioned 22 could be. I handled a Henry 001 22 but was not overly impressed by it. Does anyone out there have experience with the savage mark 2?

I thought about a ruger 10/22, but the target model I have is very picky with recoil and how it autoloads. so for the sake of shooting everything from subsonic to high velocities, a bolt or lever gun seemed best. the basic savage is $190 at my local fun store.
arjunky
Levergunner 3.0

Re: opinions on basic savage mark 2 22lr

Post by arjunky »

My stepson has one. It's been a pretty decent gun.
Ruger has a new entry bolt gun, carbine or rifle, in lr or magnum and they come with a simmons scope for $240. At Scheels locally. It takes the normal rotory magazine.

Byron
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

We have two. Number one stepson has a basic MKII that I bought him for his b-day about 6 years ago. Super accurate and can shoot circles around his brother and his 10/22.
I bought the MK II / TRR. Looks like a mini sniper rifle. Going to get a suppressor for it one of these days. Deadly accurate.

Had a little bolt gun craze last summer :oops:

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

They are very accurate. The accutrigger makes a big difference, too. You have to consider the value of getting a match-type trigger already included in the cost of the rifle. Safety is in the right place, drilled for optics, pretty decent rifles.
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

I bought one last year in left hand (not many L H bolt 22 s) and I am VERY pleased with it. Very accurate and pleasant to carry. I bought a 5 shot clip for just walking around since it doesn't stick out as much as the 10 shot.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I
2ndovc wrote:I bought the MK II / TRR. Looks like a mini sniper rifle. Going to get a suppressor for it one of these days. Deadly accurate.
Same here - I got a Mark-II FV-SR and set up with my Mystic (shown on the 300 Blk Encore), and it is still quiet and lightweight and super-accurate. The 'can' you can see part of on the Savage is just the fake-one that comes with the Ruger Mk-III/45 threaded-barrel model.

I keep thinking about getting a dedicated 'rimfire' can, but the Mystic is so light and balanced that I see little need for one, even on the Ruger pistol.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I have had one for several years now and I picked it because of two things...number one it is a left handed gun(optional left handed) and number two, the accu-trigger, which a couple of my long range guns have. The accuracy is great and the trigger is just like my bigger guns. I even convinced my brother to get one for his two girls. A word of caution though lots of manufacturers don't list the Mark II for mounts(some do though) just use a mount for a model 93, fits perfect. I have a butt cuff on mine with 4 additional mags vortex 2-7 scope and had the barrel cut to 16 inches and threaded for my suppressor. good gun for $300 in my opinion.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Questions/comments:

Do these guns come with real iron sights or are you forced to use scopes?

Years ago ( many of them ) I had a Remington 581 .22 bolt gun with a magazine very similar to what I see on these Savages. Loved the rifle, hated the magazine. It was hard to load, and finicky about it's feeding.

How are the magazines on these rifles?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Yes Joe, there is a sant.errh I mean iron sights. I had to have my front sight removed when I had it shorten and threaded, but they are there from the factory and real sights too. I have never had an issue with the magazine in this gun. I have 5 of the 10 rounders and no hiccups at this point. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Got one for my girls years ago. They shot lots of targets and more prairie dogs with it.

I've since loaned it to my dad so he could load one mag with rat shot and one with CB shorts for shooting varmints out of his garden. It cycles flawlessly. Great value. As much as I like Ruger guns, I see no compelling reason to pay twice as much for a Ruger American .22.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

I bought one last year about this time. Accuracy even with Remington Target ammo RE22T was far below Savage's 1-1/2" @ 100yds and the bore looked like corrugated pipe. Savage replaced the barrel promptly and sent it back with a target showing a 0.3" 10-shot group which I have been unable to duplicate with Eley Target, Edge, Match or the Remington RE22T made by Eley. The bore on the replacement barrel still shows tool marks but it's markedly better than the first one.

Other than this, it's a nice rifle.

Most of the people over at rimfire central's savage/Stevens forum report very good to outstanding accuracy though.

I'd certainly look at another one if I were looking for a 22 but I'd check the bore and crown closely before buying.

Here's a link to RFC's list of scope bases fitting the Mk II: http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/sh ... p?t=115839
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

fordwannabe

Thanks, I appreciate the answer.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Professor,
I have a 581 Rem. and although I don't like the magazine (it seems flimsy to me) it has never given me any trouble.