Saturday Morning Hunt :-/

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Saturday Morning Hunt :-/

Post by cshold »

The late archery / muzzle loading season started on the 26th.
I still have one unfilled doe tag left.
Decided to go to my archery spot where I have a ladder stand.
I haven't been there for a number of weeks.
As it started getting light I noticed about 30 yards away something didn't look right.

Zoomed in.

Got down, went over and this is what I found.
Very sad to see them go to waste like this. :cry:
More than likely a mistake kill and left to rot.
I dragged the frozen decaying deer down over the hill away from my stand.
The deer was probably shoot the second week of the rifle season.

Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Saturday Morning Hunt :-/

Post by Borregos »

That is a shame :(
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

Bummer. There are lot of ways that a deer can die though. Had one on our property that died after being hit by a car or truck. Both rear legs were shattered, yet it had made it about 150 yds across a field, then down a river bank and up the other side before expiring. I don't blame all the dead deer I find on hunters, much less unethical hunters, but wounded deer are honestly lost too.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

This one was indeed shot.
You can see the exit hole in the third picture.
The only people that could have legally shot this deer
were junior hunters and active duty military.
The rest of us have antler restrictions.
3 on one side with a minimum of 1" in length.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

:cry:

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

With a gut shot, like that, the dirty deed could have been done quite a bit away from where it stopped.

More than a few newbies-to-hunting fail to follow up on a shot-at deer, if it isn't DRT.

What a waste...........................

SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

While I agree that it is a shame that this deer died the way it did and ended up a waste, I would be slow to jump all over the hunter. A deer shot that far back can travel a long ways and the blood trail is not exactly optimal for tracking from that shot. There is very little blood even showing around the exit wound. As for shooting too far back, it happens. I feel sorry for the young person who was unable to recover his deer, especially if it was a junior hunter.
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

SJPrice wrote:While I agree that it is a shame that this deer died the way it did and ended up a waste, I would be slow to jump all over the hunter. A deer shot that far back can travel a long ways and the blood trail is not exactly optimal for tracking from that shot. There is very little blood even showing around the exit wound. As for shooting too far back, it happens. I feel sorry for the young person who was unable to recover his deer, especially if it was a junior hunter.
The shot was good.
The bullet entered the opposite side front shoulder.
The lack of blood around the exit is do to the fact the
deer has been frozen in the rain and snow for about
+/- two weeks.
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

That is a shame. Kind of surprised it is in that good of shape after that long. most places I hunt the 'yotes, buzzards and pigs would have cleaned him up pretty well in 2 weeks.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

wolfdog wrote:That is a shame. Kind of surprised it is in that good of shape after that long. most places I hunt the 'yotes, buzzards and pigs would have cleaned him up pretty well in 2 weeks.
You can't see it in the picture but the rear end is all eaten away.
BC in TN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BC in TN »

casastahle wrote:
wolfdog wrote:That is a shame. Kind of surprised it is in that good of shape after that long. most places I hunt the 'yotes, buzzards and pigs would have cleaned him up pretty well in 2 weeks.
You can't see it in the picture but the rear end is all eaten away.

possums.
BC in TN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BC in TN »

A few years ago my oldest son shot a deer just before dark. We looked diligently; we looked as much as possible with no luck that last few minutes of light.

Just after daylight the next morning we resumed the search. We found the deer - there was not enough meat left on it to bait a fish hook. Coyotes had cleaned the ribs overnight and left only the ribcage, hooves, skull and a fresh hide.