Sweet books i found today ! (pics added )

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Sweet books i found today ! (pics added )

Post by Streetstar »

My sweet wife, Rita, encouraged me to meet her at a thrift store today -------- I just about Bah, Hunbugged ------ I met her there with skepticism while she looked through Christmas ornaments and other business she wants to put back
---- Bless her heart, I was almost mocking her and my mother in law and aunt in law (they're twins) -- as they dug through this old stuff

I sighed and rolled my eyes, spying a stack of books and a secondhand chair --- I figured I could at least kill some time while my gorgeous wife wasted $5.72 cents and 3 hours - :lol:

Here's the score --- and I will add pics tomorrow ! I was pretty darn excited ----- total cash outlay, $11 :lol: -- I am thinking this is part of a gentlemans bookshelf who may have moved on , as the authors and subjects are related and the age of the books looks similar

----- I don't know what the circumstances of these cool books winding up in a thrift store is, but mentally, I would like to alert the prior owner that they are in good hands now and will be treated like the treasures they are

I don't know what I'm going to read first, but any of these books makes for great wintertime fireside reading :D

Like I said , i'll postr a pic or two tomorrow -- as this is definitely for me a "Pics or it didn't happen" day :)

1) The Complete WildFowler -- Grits Gresham (autographed) ,

2) The Rifle Omnibus -- 3 books in 1 -- The Modern Rifle - by Jim Carmichael,
The Hunting Rifle -- Jack O' Connor
The Accurate Rifle -- Warren PAge

-autographed by all 3

3) Shotgunning - The Art and the Science --Bob Brister (autographed, but signed to someone else

4) Sheep and Sheep Hunting --- Jack O'Connor

5) North American Big Game , 1971 Edition, -- A book of the Boone and Crockett Club
Last edited by Streetstar on Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
----- Doug
samb
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Swee t books i found today !

Post by samb »

Great find!
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Sweet deal! A fine addition to the bookshelf.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
vonfatman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by vonfatman »

Great score. More than just interesting reading on that bookshelf.

Enjoy.

Bob
"Onward thru the Fog"
PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaperPatch »

Awesome find there!

I suspect the previous owner is comforted with the knowledge that his collection fell into good hands. He may though, roll over a time or two upon learning of the amount remitted. :wink:
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Great find! I always look through the old books trying to find authors that I know, mostly Russel Annabel. Seldom find anything since most of those antique malls know to send those to a used book dealer who will pay handsomely for them.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Pics added ------ admittedly, not as exciting as, say, a new levergun, but some fine fireside reading on a cold winter night

The previous owner must have been an acquaintance of some sorts of Bob Brister's to get such a long, drawn out autograph page -- I cant really read it

As mentioned previously, I don't know what the circumstances were of these books winding up in a thrift store -- but the dates on these books are early 70's -- so not that old as far as literature goes, -- not worth any real money per se' from a collectible standpoint, but I would have gladly ponied up quite a bit more for this stack just so I can read 'em

---- i'll put my feet up and enjoy these this winter for sure

----- Doug
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Sweet books i found today ! (pics added )

Post by JerryB »

That is a find to dream of. Any one of those books would be a treasure by its self. You done real good on that deal.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
1894c

Re: Sweet books i found today ! (pics added )

Post by 1894c »

Streetstar-- that's a great start, actually that's a great collection....I have old books by Elmer Keith, Ted Trueblood, not so old by Skeeter Skelton, and Gene Hill...love old gun books...:)