Uberti Walkers on sale at Cabelas...$349..Free Shipping!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Uberti Walkers on sale at Cabelas...$349..Free Shipping!

Post by rbertalotto »

Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Uberti Walkers on sale at Cabelas...$349..Free Shipping!

Post by Blaine »

Tempting....but..... :(
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Just a little beyond my finances right now as I am paying to fix up the Explorer that my son had a wreck in 2 days ago. He pulled out too far at a stop sign and I found out how expensive a used bumper and headlight assembly are.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

piller wrote:Just a little beyond my finances right now as I am paying to fix up the Explorer that my son had a wreck in 2 days ago. He pulled out too far at a stop sign and I found out how expensive a used bumper and headlight assembly are.
I hope your son is ok....I suppose the stupid airbags went off??
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

He is fine, and the impact wasn't enough to set off the airbags. No one was hurt, but he got a ticket and the $107 court fee and the $200 Defensive Driving course, plus the cost of the parts since the vehicle was paid for and we only had liability on it, will cut into the gun budget for a while.
D. Brian Casady
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

The original Colt Walker was THE dirty Harry .44 mag of its day. Almost a half inch of soft lead pushed downrange by 50 - 60 gr. of black powder. I can't imagine what it would be like shooting one, but it is worth knowing it will be a lot worse for whatever or whoever is in the way of that bullet.

There's an original Walker sold at auction for just a touch south of a million USD. By that standard three hundred some bucks is cheap. And better steel too!

The Colt Walker is timeless, even known centuries from now.

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

The story of how Samuel Walker came to be sent to the Colt Factory with the requested design for a bigger and more powerful gun is interesting. According to what I have read, it was meant to be as powerful as a common rifle and was intended to be used in mounted combat. From all reports, it was very effective in that role.
D. Brian Casady
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

WOW !!! Modern advertizing hype for reproductions of rather ancient technology...

Seriously, I wish I had the buck$ to spend on what would be, mostly, a wall-hanger ay my house.. Would be a lot of fun to drag one (or a pair) of them out into the yard on New Years Eve or the Fourth of July, for some noisy, smoky fireworks fun..

As shooters, Walkers are heavy, bulky, and distractingly unreliable.. The flimsy loading lever latch leaves one with a non-functional revolver, often as not.. The succeeding "Dragoon" revolvers were designed to overcome many of the Walkers' shortcomings..

Approximately half of the original Walkers were lost, when their wrought iron cylinders burst, from the pressures of 60-grain powder charges.. The Dragoons' cylinders were shorter, and loading was reduced to the vicinity of 50 grains of Ffg..

Obviously, a 4-lb, 9-oz revolver (empty...!), sporting a 9-inch barrel, is Not the ultimate weapon for horseback deployment, against an extremely mobile enemy.. The 7-1/2" barrel, and quarter-pound lighter weight of the Dragoon series, made great strides in combat effectiveness, as manufacturing and metallurgy also made great strides toward modernization, in the middle of the 19th Century..

I can look back and remember when I could have bought a brace of Uberti Walkers for nearly the same price that Cabela's wants for a single copy, on sale.....

The Walkers are of true, historical importance, and represent the best there was, for a short span of history, but there are far better models avaiable for actual shooting enjoyment..
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Gaucho Gringo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gaucho Gringo »

This seller has a Euroarms Walker for sale. http://sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=215719 I bought his Rodgers & Spencer and I probably would have bought the Walker but I already have the exact same one and don't need two. His price is darn cheap for a Walker.