TC Contender

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

TC Contender

Post by Old Ironsights »

So... here's this Contender. SN is in the 130xxx range.

I've not seen this hammer style, with slider bar rather than switch, before. (pls ignore hammer extension)

What can anyone tell me about this receiver model?

Pin In. (bar Right)
Pin out. (bar Left.)
Side view. Pin Out, bar left.

Also: Rimfire firing pin feels really sticky. What's the best way to clean it up?
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: TC Contender

Post by Blaine »

Toothbrush, and hot water....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

My Contender has a serial number just a bit lower than yours. Bought it new in the late 1970's/Early 80's..somewhere back there.
That is the early "safety" for Contenders. The square bar in the hammer that controls the position of that little pin often breaks, leaving you with NO "safety" mechanism whatsoever. To clean it all up I'd use something like PB Blaster, Kroil, etc....and patience. Let thing soak a while if you're dealing with a sticky/gummy buildup...then the toothbrush.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I had one like that - http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=24696 - Thompson Center replaced it when I sent it in to get 'checked', along with converting the frame to the much easier to open new version, with a different hinge pin location for the operating lever.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Thanks. AJ, tell me about these locking lugs... he has 4 barrels with this frame. What am I looking for 1 lug vs 2 (not in the manual I have).
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

The spring loaded thing under the chamber. Old one piece will be just that, one piece. Newer two piece will be split in right and left halves. You can replace them if need be.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v372/ ... bolts2.jpg
Slow is just slow.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

cas wrote:The spring loaded thing under the chamber. Old one piece will be just that, one piece. Newer two piece will be split in right and left halves. You can replace them if need be.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v372/ ... bolts2.jpg
Yep. According to the conversations I had with somebody 'gunsmithy' sounding at Thompson Center a few years back, the split ones are the way to go, and they routinely replace them. If I recall correctly, it is just a simple 'swap' job, but I haven't had mine apart recently.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Ah. OK. Gonna have to look at/pull those. - especially if TC upgrades the frame and the solids won't work.. I think they are all Solid.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
North Country Gal
Levergunner 2.0

Post by North Country Gal »

The solid, one piece locking bolts (not lugs) on the barrel are fine as long as the barrel opens easily on that particular frame. No need to replace them unless you have a barrel that is just plain stubborn to open when on that frame. There is a great deal of variation, one barrel to the next and one frame to the next with early vintage Contender barrels as to how easily they open on a given frame. In extreme cases, you may end up with a barrel that won't open at all. In the early days, TC used to take care of this problem when it happened and fitted the barrel for you. It's one reason they eventually went to the two piece locking bolts and easy open frames. Therefore, before I buy an early frame with barrels, especially a pre easy open frame, I insist on putting the barrels on the frame and opening them.

TC used to change the bolts for free and even upgraded to the easy open for free, at one time. No more. Now that S&W owns TC, you'll pay them if you expect them to change out the locking bolts and, lately, they've decided they won't even sell the bolts as a separate item, not even to dealers. They no longer service original Contender frames, either. Sad to say, the old TC company is gone.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Yes the old TC company is definitely gone. They will no longer ship parts to individuals in Canada, only to a distributor, our distributor here in Ontario cannot seem to get anything from them at all!! :( :( :(
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Of the half dozen Contender frames I've had over the years my first one and last one had the cross bolt type . My first one was used with a 22LR barrel exclusively and a close friend still has it after I sold it to him 20 years ago . The last one I had wore a custom 444 Marlin barrel and that one did nicely also .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

North Country Gal wrote:The solid, one piece locking bolts (not lugs) on the barrel are fine as long as the barrel opens easily on that particular frame. No need to replace them unless you have a barrel that is just plain stubborn to open when on that frame. There is a great deal of variation, one barrel to the next and one frame to the next with early vintage Contender barrels as to how easily they open on a given frame. In extreme cases, you may end up with a barrel that won't open at all. In the early days, TC used to take care of this problem when it happened and fitted the barrel for you. It's one reason they eventually went to the two piece locking bolts and easy open frames. Therefore, before I buy an early frame with barrels, especially a pre easy open frame, I insist on putting the barrels on the frame and opening them.

TC used to change the bolts for free and even upgraded to the easy open for free, at one time. No more. Now that S&W owns TC, you'll pay them if you expect them to change out the locking bolts and, lately, they've decided they won't even sell the bolts as a separate item, not even to dealers. They no longer service original Contender frames, either. Sad to say, the old TC company is gone.
That is... annoying. So what you are saying is that to FIX a "safety issue" (crossbolt safety) and correct a design flaw, I am going to have to do it myself? I don't care if the "fix" is gratis or has to be paid for. Those are MFG issues that the MFG must fix (or their own Lawyers might eat them.)

I'm a gonna wait for TC to answer that one, but... I DO like a challenge... :twisted:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

It was an improvement or change, not a fix. The current owners have discontinued the G2 version and are not, apparently, even providing parts at cost. Likely, if the bolts as is work in the receiver, as is, the only problem you might have is the hammer spring which might take a set after a lot of use.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

At one time I shot a LOT of IHMSA metallic silhouette with a contender just like that, had both 10 and 14 inch barrels so I could shoot both classifications. Also shot .22 with it. I probably had 8-10 thousand rounds through it. Never broke, never stuttered, never worried about it. I DID replace the solid locking block with the split one when they came out as they were supposed to lock up better for better accuracy but I could never tell the difference, shot AAA and Master class with it.

I think a great to-do is being made of nothing here. Go shoot the dang thing and have fun. :D
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

I talked to a person from S&W about TC and the Contender pistol.
TC exists only on paper and the Contender is gone forever.
S&W bought TC for the investment casting and barrel making capabilities.
They got big tax breaks for closing TC and transferring the jobs to Massachusetts.
I had little respect for S&W before this happened, none now. :cry:

Jack
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Certainly there are several companies making aftermarket barrels for Contender AND Encore firearms, so at least that should keep the guns going for awhile (look how many other guns we still shoot and buy and trade, that are "no longer manufactured"). Perhaps if the patents are old enough to have expired, some other company might make receivers, kind of like they do for 10/22's and other popular guns.

Otherwise, we'll just have to take good care of the ones we have... :|

SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

jhrosier wrote:I talked to a person from S&W about TC and the Contender pistol.
TC exists only on paper and the Contender is gone forever.
S&W bought TC for the investment casting and barrel making capabilities.
They got big tax breaks for closing TC and transferring the jobs to Massachusetts.
I had little respect for S&W before this happened, none now. :cry:

Jack
I just read a news story in "The Outdoor Wire" that said TC Arms just launched a brand new web site, so I visited the site to see what they launched. They still have the G2 Contender in both the pistol and the carbine? In fact it looks like all the same models of rifles, pistols and muzzle loaders are offered?

I always find it puzzling when a company makes changes that are based on sound fiscal responsibilities and are criticized for it. Making bad financial decisions and staying in business only works when you can simply print more money.
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

They're still catalogued, but I think that's about it. I hear from people that they've been back ordered for a long long time. (Because they not actually making any)
Slow is just slow.
North Country Gal
Levergunner 2.0

Post by North Country Gal »

Been trying to order a new G2 frame for three years, now and absolutely nothing … zilch, zip, nada. Others have contacted S&W on this and have gotten fuzzy answers as to if or when. In the meantime, have moved over more into the Encore platform.