125 gr vs 158 gr Xtreme FP bullets

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BuckRimfire
Levergunner

125 gr vs 158 gr Xtreme FP bullets

Post by BuckRimfire »

I'll probably order some more plated bullets from Xtreme today on their 17% off sale.

I have some of their 158 grain SWC, which feed and shoot OK in my 24" Rossi 92, but hit a little high with the stock front sight (about 3 or 4 " high at 50 yards). I'll probably replace that sight eventually with a taller fiber optic sight, but for the time being, I thought I'd try the 125 grain flat-points.

Anyone have experience, good or bad, with that bullet? I have no reason to push them harder than .38 Special pressures for plinking, but I'm sure I'll load some in .357 anyway! Just because I can. :wink:

The 125s have no canneleur, so bullet setback in a full magazine with heavy loads would be my first concern...
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: 125 gr vs 158 gr Xtreme FP bullets

Post by Blaine »

Can't speak to the bullets, but, if you use a Lee Factory Crimp Die, and use it firmly, you should no problem with the bullet moving around.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Gleedaniel13
Levergunner

Post by Gleedaniel13 »

Can't speak to the bullets, but, if you use a Lee Factory Crimp Die, and use it firmly, you should no problem with the bullet moving around.....
So, are you saying that we should have to get those Lee Factory Crimp Die so that we will not experienced any problem? Then if that is true then I think we will have to get a try with this.
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

Gleedaniel13 wrote:
So, are you saying that we should have to get those Lee Factory Crimp Die so that we will not experienced any problem? Then if that is true then I think we will have to get a try with this.
Yep, Lee Factory Crimp Dies are the way to go with tube magazines and heavy recoil. If you want to get real serious you can even add a cannelure tool to your bench and groove your bullets for crimping, but the Lee FCD works fine. My experience, yours mileage may vary.
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd