30-30 reloading, 115 gr lead bullets, 'universal load'

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

30-30 reloading, 115 gr lead bullets, 'universal load'

Post by wecsoger »

Just need a reality check here.

Organizing the reload area, new mtm boxes for the brass, everything in its place, etc.

Found a box of 115 gr. cast lead .308 bullets, no gas check. Put me in court, I'd swear no idea how/when I got them unless the bullet fairy brought them by.

Googling for reloading data for the 30-30 is sparse since it's mostly geared toward the 150 gr. - 180 gr. jacketed bullets.

Then I found several good articles on the Ed Harris 'universal load' with all sorts of good information on using cast lead bullets in military rifles.

By the way, his 'universal load' is 16 gr. 2400 for a 150 - 180 gr. bullet that fits for anything in the .30 cal to 8 mike mike neighborhood.

Google "Ed Harris universal load" and you'll see what I mean.

He's saying that's going to be in the 1400 - 1500 fps range

I don't want fire-breather rounds and these do appear hard cast. 115 gr is around 75% south of 150 so I'm thinking reduce the 2400 to 12 gr. (also 75%) for a 30-30 and I should have a good basic plinker.

So saying, I've got Bullseye, 2400, 3031 and 4198 on the bench. And a couple old cans of Unique that I'm not so sure about.

Comments, criticisms, suggestions?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: 30-30 reloading, 115 gr lead bullets, 'universal load'

Post by Blaine »

Ed Harris also had "The Load" of 13 grains of Red Dot....Better google that one, it might be a hair stiff for 30wcf....In this day of shortages, (and I just bought a bunch of 2400) I'm paying attention, believe you me.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

I looked at the115 grain bullet using QuickLoad -- so QL thinks you'd get 1500 fps with your 12 grains of 2400, and about the same with 7.8 grains of Unique. Drop a grain of either and get around 1400 fps.

I'd think those would be nice little shooters: similar to the 32/20 of which so many of us are fond.

Double check the powder level after charging the case -- these would easily hold a double charge.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

(smacks head) Forgot about checking Quickload. I don't have direct access to it, but I do have contacts.

Thank you for the confirming information. I'm not so sure I'd use up this Unique (it's old), but I've plenty of 2400 right now.

1500 fps would be screaming good for these little bullets and if the accuracy is even reasonable the would be good varmint loads. I'll have to grab some test cases and crank out ten or so.
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by John in MS »

Based on my experience with plain-based, machine-cast .30 cal. bullets, i think you may
find them pretty hard to get to shoot well. Pushing plain-based bullets with the
typical hard commercial lube to 1400=1500 fps seems a bit ambitious, but it might
work. You may find best accuracy at lower velocities. I'll be following your reports
with interest -- good luck and good shooting!
John
"Pistols do not win wars, but they save the lives of the men who do. The noble 1911 is a mechanical marvel, whose ruggedness, dependability & ferocious power have comforted four issues of GIs and which, unlike any other instrument you can name, is as much superior to its rivals today as it was in 1917."
-Col. Jeff Cooper, 1968
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I think it was Hornady that used to make a 115 grain lead bullet they called the PLINKER.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I use 6 1/2 grs Unique with a similar bullet for a small game getter, if I want more power than the round ball loads. I use a tuft of Dacron pillow stuffing over the poder to keep it near the primer. seems to be much more consistant ignition.

The Lyman cast bullet manual may have some loads listed for 2400.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mike Armstrong »

Malamute's got a good recipe. Push those plain-based little bullets too hard and you'll spend a lot of time scraping lead out of your rifle bore!
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Mike Armstrong wrote:Malamute's got a good recipe. Push those plain-based little bullets too hard and you'll spend a lot of time scraping lead out of your rifle bore!
I'll second that motion -- that's why I mentioned the QL recipe for getting about 1400 fps. Not that I think you'll likely get leading at the 1500 fps level, just that I have had better luck with accuracy with plain-base bullets at the lower velocities...

And that Unique isn't old until it grows mold. Use it if it works.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

My squirrel load in .30-30 is a 100 gr. plain base bullet over 3 gr. Red Dot, next step up is a 115 gr. plain base for 'yotes and feral cats lubed with Lee Liquid Alox over 10 gr. Unique. My top cast bullet load is a 169 or 185 gr with gas check, lubed and sized unknown but many years ago but also lubed with the Lee lube over that same 10 gr. Unique.

The 115, 169 and 185 are bullets I "inherited" and will hate to see gone because they make up about 90% of my .30-30 shooting. I've cast Maxi balls for my muzzle loaders, guess I'll have to learn to cast these things too eventually. Also got several lbs. of .270 bullets I'll never use, will either melt them down or try to trade for some .30 cal bullets.
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I just gas-check and shoot 'em over 33 grains of RL-7 for about 2500fps. VERY flat shootin'. At pressures well under those using 2400. Check out the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

5.0 / Bullseye or 6.0 / Unique would replicate the early .30-30 Short Range cartridge loading (117 gr at 1,150 f.p.s.) and has been very accurate in my rifles. :D

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian