New Tang Sight -- I can see!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

New Tang Sight -- I can see!

Post by earlmck »

Last week fellow levergunner eboggs listed this virtually new Marble's tang sight for older Winneys. Happens that a few years ago, in a moment of extreme weakness (some beer on board, new juniper-cut contract in pocket, big gun show with lotsa people elbowing each other) I bought this old M94 rifle in 32 Special. Fairly crappy-looking bore and I was really after a Marlin 336A of that caliber to go with my others of that persuasion. But like I said, "extreme weakness". And with the 26" bbl it holds real nice off-hand, just kind of waiting for you to touch off the shot.

Open sights, of course (the one they made especially for the 32 Special -- fondly known as the "hog trough" sight). Actually pretty neat sight (ugly but neat), but these old eyeballs can't really see well enough to use an open sight anymore, though in really good light I was able to shoot a fairly decent group with it, leaving me with the idea that maybe the bore isn't as bad as it looks.

So ebogg's listing prompted me to remember this old beast stuck in a corner of the garage, and I did the "I'll take it!" thing.

The sight arrived this morning: mounted up easily, and here is what we have:

The original open sight
HogTroughb8603.jpg
The new tang sight mounted
Tang8608.jpg
I left the open sight in place while I roughly adjusted the tang for windage and elevation
LiningUp8609.jpg
And with the old open sight knocked out, I can finally see to shoot!
NewSightArrangement8611.jpg
Now to load up some shells and see if I can hit anything. If not, the idea kicking around in the dusty areas of the brain is that this would be a pretty nifty candidate for a JES rebore to 38/55. But whichever way I go, I do like the way this tang sight improves my vision of things. Though I may improve vision a bit further by replacing the front with a green fiber-optic. That'll make the eyeballs pop!

Did I hear somebody say "heresy"? But sheesh, it's not as though it is a beautiful classic Marlin: it's just a danged old clunky Winny with a dinked-up stock.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Re: New Tang Sight -- I can see!

Post by Borregos »

I just love tang sights with my old eyes :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Very nice. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Snaketail
Levergunner

Post by Snaketail »

You'll love that Tang sight. If you have to change the front sight too - remember to tap it our left side to right side. The left side of the barrel is your left side when you look through the sight.

I started using a tang a year ago and it has made a lot of difference in my shooting (it got better).

Good choice.

Michael
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Tang sights REALLY help the eye. I have 4 rifles with tang sights on them, and have about 6 different apperatures from about 5/16" down to .045" (about 3/64th of an inch). That one and even the .090" one have about 1-¼" round outside diameters and keep the front sight in focus along the target so it makes a big difference in what I'm seeing. That big outside circumference blocks out a lot of extraneous garbage... and some light, so they're a full daylight deal.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

If every one of my choices turned out that well after adding alcohol id still be drinking :lol:
looks like a nice out fit Earl!!!!!

ollogger
bmtshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bmtshooter »

The fiber optic front sight will REALLY make a difference.
Great combination for those of us with "more experienced" eyes.
NRA life member
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Earl,
Pay attention to the size of the hole in the aperture. As we age, the hole needs to be larger. If you see "spider webs" in the hole, it needs to be opened up. At my age, I like an .070 to .080 diameter hole.-------------6
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Model 52B
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Model 52B »

Sixgun is on the money.

I've always liked the aperture sight, since my military service and service rifle competition days. And my first Model 94 got Lyman No 2 as soon as they started making them again (1995).

Now that I'm pushing 50 real hard, I NEED a tang sight to be able to use iron sights. In my younger years I liked the smallest Marbles .032" aperture, but now I seldom use it preferring the .055" aperture in day light and the .102" aperture in low light.

Swapping apertures is a pain and now I'm a big fan of the Merit #4 Hunter adjustable aperture. It finger adjusts from. .022" to .125" in 11 steps giving you more adjustment range than the 3 Marbles apertures and it is not much larger or heavier than the regular 1/2" diameter Marbles apertures. On any given shooting day you can stop it down until you get the cob web effect, then stop it back up a couple steps and you're good to go with the optimum aperture for the light conditions.

earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Sixgun wrote:Pay attention to the size of the hole in the aperture. As we age, the hole needs to be larger. If you see "spider webs" in the hole, it needs to be opened up.
Model 52B wrote:Swapping apertures is a pain and now I'm a big fan of the Merit #4 Hunter adjustable aperture. It finger adjusts from. .022" to .125" in 11 steps giving you more adjustment range than the 3 Marbles apertures and it is not much larger or heavier than the regular 1/2" diameter Marbles apertures. On any given shooting day you can stop it down until you get the cob web effect, then stop it back up a couple steps and you're good to go with the optimum aperture for the light conditions.
Thanks for the good advice, guys. I've been so tickled with my new sight I thought all the apertures were great, except that I'd need real bright light to use the dinky one. Maybe I should pay a little more attention to this subject and get her dialed in. I like the sound of that Merit you have, 52B.
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

another suggestion - get a globe front like the Lyman 17.

Then you can use a large aperture and still get great accuracy - the ring of the globe can be aligned inside the aperture circle and its easy to see if it's centered since they are close in size - a ring within a ring.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Earl,
If you want to sell that original 32 Spl rear barrel sight, I'll give you this for it.---6
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Sixgun wrote:Earl,
If you want to sell that original 32 Spl rear barrel sight, I'll give you this for it.---6
If you're serious, 6, then you've got it.
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Earl,
I'm in the sack and I'll pm you the particulars tomorrow. I have a takedown 32 Spl. That needs one of those sights for originality.-----6
1894c

Post by 1894c »

earlmck -- i love receiver sights too, really helps...like them better than a scope (never used a tang sight, but that looks like a good choice)...i've tried the fiber-optics they really work, thought they were a gimmick, i was wrong. i too am not a big fan of the Win.94, way too many screws, but i like your choice in caliber (give me a Marlin all day long)... :)