I've seen semiauto's "double" but never a REVOLVER...!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

I've seen semiauto's "double" but never a REVOLVER...!

Post by AJMD429 »

Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Re: I've seen semiauto's "double" but never a REVOLVER...!

Post by jhrosier »

A young lady was killed recently when this happened to her,
The revolver was pointing at her head on the second shot.

Jack
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

That second round went a couple of miles. I was lucky and had Mike Rintoul teach me how to allow the big guns to move me in order to maintain control and regain sight picture. Thanks Mike.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Recoil from the first shot forces the trigger back from under finger pressure.. The brain and muscles are still in "squeeze" mode for a split second, allowing the finger to pick up pressure again, after the trigger has 're-set', and BA-BANG..!!!

Subsequently, S&W made some changes that should help eliminate the problem...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I will NEVER understand how people put these SUPER MAGNUM firearms in the hands of novice shooters. Someone could really get hurt (or die) as was posted above. These guns are not meant for NOVICES!!! Show some common sense???? -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

What Buck Elliott said +1 I have seen it happen more than once.
The shooter grabs the gun tight to prevent dropping it ( natural reaction).
That death grip pulls the trigger again. One reason not to have too light a trigger pull on big double actions.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

On firing, I've had Bangor Punta Smith & Wessons model 29's jump the locking bolt so when you pulled the hammer back to fire another round, the hammer would drop on the empty case that you just fired. Never had this problem with earlier 4 or 5 screws or later 29's/629's.

I still say the mechanics of a single action Colt, designed in the black powder days, can't be beat.----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Sixgun wrote: I still say the mechanics of a single action Colt, designed in the black powder days, can't be beat.----6
Amen Brother....
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

CowboyTutt wrote:I will NEVER understand how people put these SUPER MAGNUM firearms in the hands of novice shooters. Someone could really get hurt (or die) as was posted above. These guns are not meant for NOVICES!!! Show some common sense???? -Tutt
Yep. I can teach a novice how to shoot a 44 Mag or M1A in a four-hour session, but there is PLENTY of lead-up, and if I sense there is not sufficient control or strength, I will stop short of those weapons. Going up beyond those to a 500 S&W handgun, or a full-auto rifle, would require quite a bit more time.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Has anyone read about the Colt 45 SAA that went full auto in an article written by Massad Ayoob?
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bridger »

AJ, does an M1A really kick that bad? I've never shot one, but I've held a few and boy are they heavy. I'd have thought that it would soak up most of the recoil.
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

3leggedturtle wrote:Has anyone read about the Colt 45 SAA that went full auto in an article written by Massad Ayoob?
No, but I did read something he wrote about a Colt .45, 1911 that went "full auto" when the disconnector failed.. That happens, from time to time....
Regards

Buck

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Bridger wrote:AJ, does an M1A really kick that bad? I've never shot one, but I've held a few and boy are they heavy. I'd have thought that it would soak up most of the recoil.
Not much recoil but the size and noise are intimidating. Plus I'm talking about folks who up to that day never shot a gun.

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Buck Elliott wrote:
3leggedturtle wrote:Has anyone read about the Colt 45 SAA that went full auto in an article written by Massad Ayoob?
No, but I did read something he wrote about a Colt .45, 1911 that went "full auto" when the disconnector failed.. That happens, from time to time....

The bushing that held the firing pin in place was worn or broke. It allowed the primer to kick the pin back into the hammer and fully cocked it. With the trigger held back it would keep firing until it was empty or finger was off the trigger. I will check to see if I still have magazine it was in.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have seen 1911`s and Ruger 10-22`s go full auto when the guy put them back together wrong.
The three leaf spring in the 1911 and the disconnector in the 10-22 are fussy about being installed properly.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

A friend of mine did that exact same thing with my 454. Except he isn't a petite little lady, he's 6'4" and about 250 lb. He will never live that down. :twisted:
NRA Life Member
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

3leggedturtle wrote:
Buck Elliott wrote:

The bushing that held the firing pin in place was worn or broke. It allowed the primer to kick the pin back into the hammer and fully cocked it. With the trigger held back it would keep firing until it was empty or finger was off the trigger. I will check to see if I still have magazine it was in.
The mechanical improbability of such an occurence strains credibility to the utmost extreme.
the mechanism of a "COLT SAA" does not contain a "bushing that (holds) the firing pin in place.." Furthermore, the pressure ("thrust") against the firing pin would have to be almost off the scale in order to bring the mechanism up to full cock.. I have fired single-action revolvers with loads that developed enough oomph to knock the (lightly-sprung) hammer back to the safety notch, but never anything farther.. Even the .454 Casull, at 65,000 psi, does not exert that much force against the firing pin..

Somebody is greatly confused here...
Regards

Buck

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Seems like the cylinder would bind up if the primer went back into the firing pin hole, unless the primer just came out altogether.

Definitely like to see that article. Now a "Colt SA 'Army' gun" I'd believe. That extra 'A' in SAA makes it a different beast entirely.

Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mike Armstrong »

A guy I know that makes "action films" collects oddball guns for use in them. He has a British Webley-Fosbury revolver that will go full-auto every time with the wrong .455 ammo; it fires the full cylinder--BRRAAAAP. Interesting to see. I can't remember if the Fiocchi and Hornaday .455s are too powerful or two weak, but they are different from the ammo it was designed for.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

An Uncle bought a Winchester .22lr semi-auto rifle one time that was defective. He took it home, cleaned it, loaded it, and went to the pasture to sight it in. He chambered a round, pulled the trigger, and the rifle emptied itself. The sear was somehow not right, I don't know since I have never seen that rifle taken apart, and it kept firing as long as the trigger was held back. My Smith & Wesson M99 in .40 has a very short movement for trigger reset, and I have accidentally doubled on it before. I had to really practice trigger control for a while until muscle memory took over. On my M99, it will double just due to sloppy trigger control since it is the compact version and the .40 cal has enough recoil to make it move in your hand. If you let your finger move forward 3/16ths of an inch and then let the recoil cause your finger to move back, it will double.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Model 52B
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Model 52B »

Bridger wrote:AJ, does an M1A really kick that bad? I've never shot one, but I've held a few and boy are they heavy. I'd have thought that it would soak up most of the recoil.
Yep, the M1A is not a hard recoiling rifle for exactly those reasons.

I shot M14s and M1A in service rifle competition in the late 80s through the mid 90s and in practice I'd shoot two full courses for fire with no issues.

However for fun, I shot my Springfield 1903A1 in a match, and found that an 8 pound rifle with a narrower butt plate and no gas system to spread out the recoil was much less fun to shoot after 50 rounds or so.

----

In addition to magnum pistols, I get annoyed when guys take a girl or young shooter and convince them to shoot a 12 ga, or a large caliber rifle with no prep, no instruction and no working up to it with lighter recoiling firearms. more often than not it ends up being a negative experience that ruins a potential shooter.