Your very own ghost town for 225 large

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Your very own ghost town for 225 large

Post by wecsoger »

and it comes with a liquor license!

News story, here:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/11/11/ca ... -for-225g/

Craigslist posting, here:

http://goldcountry.craigslist.org/reo/4042282693.html

I'd throw up the Google Maps location but if you have that, you already know how to find it.

Did a search, nearest walmart is almost an hour away.

I've got 3-D view turn on in Google Maps, the roads there look...scenic.

Note near the end the comment This is serious country as regards trespassing and pilfering, as well as for getting lost.

Also note this is in the northern part of kali where some people take their privacy and what they grow on their property seriously.

I'm thinking if we got to together and made them a cash offer of 190 g's, they might take it, they seem motivated to sell.

If I had the cash, would be something to think about. Not having grid electricity, I can handle. Solar and a gen set to fire up at night for the sat dish internet access, that would work. And looks like you can arrange for running water.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Your very own ghost town for 225 large

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Too bad it is in California...would have to put up with draconian firearm laws.

Otherwise, not a bad hunk of dirt.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

I'm thinking right there in that general area, firearms laws and a number of other things the city slickers get all wound up about don't count for too much.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Isn't Northern Cal planning to secede from the state anyway? :)
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Old Time Hunter wrote:Too bad it is in California...would have to put up with draconian firearm laws.

Otherwise, not a bad hunk of dirt.
I've been thru the area, tho not the town.....I don't think Gun Laws mean squat, and long as you're not otherwise a criminal, or bothering people.....I would think this would be an excellent area if one were in need of Medical Herbs, and Spices.... :P
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

If I was 3 decades younger, just might take a serious look at the old place. 3 and 1/2 decades ago I was living in Taos, NM. That was an interesting time in my life. Owned and lived in a 200 yr old adobe structure, previously owned by "Horse Thief" Shorty of "The Milagro Beanfield War" fame.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

GoatGuy wrote:If I was 3 decades younger, just might take a serious look at the old place. 3 and 1/2 decades ago I was living in Taos, NM. That was an interesting time in my life. Owned and lived in a 200 yr old adobe structure, previously owned by "Horse Thief" Shorty of "The Milagro Beanfield War" fame.
This deserves a thread....We're all ears, Sir 8)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Blaine - Well, it would take a pretty long post to tell all of the interesting (to me) parts of living there. Let me see how I can condense the story into some highlights and I'll oblige you with your request. Would probably be better told face to face over drinks some evening. That probably ain't gonna get to happen though.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

GoatGuy wrote:Blaine - Well, it would take a pretty long post to tell all of the interesting (to me) parts of living there. Let me see how I can condense the story into some highlights and I'll oblige you with your request. Would probably be better told face to face over drinks some evening. That probably ain't gonna get to happen though.
One never knows.....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

They sold the "town" (truckstop) of Buford between Cheyenne & Laramie not long ago...

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nat ... 53951218/1
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Goat guy,
The character was based on a real person?
the guy who played Shorty in the movie?
please elaborate.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Location, location, location. But, if one were in compliance with all current CA laws, interesting idea...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I used to own a 10 acre plot on the side of a mountain not all that far from there. About a mile from lake davis that is north of portola california. I love the area but not california politics and prices. We were going to build on it and retire there but re thought it. It was off grizzley road if anyone knows the area. About 50 miles to reno and that scared my wife as she knows I used to live t o gamble.
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Mescalero wrote:Goat guy,
The character was based on a real person?
the guy who played Shorty in the movie?
please elaborate.
Mescalero, yes the character in the book and the movie was based on a real person. I was introduced to Shorty about the 2nd day after I moved to Taos. He was a fellow about 5' 4", as I recall. Of indeterminate age, he could have been in his late 60's or early 80's! Quite a character, he spent most of his days on the plaza visiting with the local folks. Wore a big big hat, and his trousers tucked in his cowboy boots. Never remember having seen him dressed any other way. Very nice old fellow, somewhat shy to strangers, but cordial. He used to wrangle logging horses for the timber operations in those mountains long before I met him, as he was "retired" by then. That's about all I recall of Shorty. He was a celebrity legend to to the anglo locals and known by everyone in town. Wish now I had spent more time talking with him about his long years in that place.

As you are probably aware, John Nichols, is the author of The Milagro Beanfield War. Nichols lifted "Shorty" from the plaza and planted him in the pages of that novel, along with others from Nichols experiences in Taos. Nichols had been, and as I understand still is, a resident of Taos since the late 1960's.