Octagonal surprise

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Octagonal surprise

Post by KWK »

My library was able to fetch a copy of Brophy's big book on Marlins. One surprising bit of information was that with the early Marlin levers, the octagon barreled rifles weigh a little less than the rounds, between 1/4 and 1/2 pound less. With modern rifles, it's generally the other way around, mostly due to the more rapid tapering used in modern sporter contours. From Brophy's pictures, it looks as if with their round barrels they used a nearly straight taper and one which started and ended slightly larger in diameter as well, as if the octagons were milled from the standard round barrels.

You learn something new everyday...
QCI Winchesters
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Octagonal surprise

Post by QCI Winchesters »

It always amazed me that Winchester sold more octagon rifles than round ones, as their octagon rifles are noticeably heavier than the round rifles. The round rifle is more practical, in my opinion. I guess with the older Marlins, the opposite would be true!
When you have to shoot, shoot! Don't talk!
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

That is interesting. The octagon barrel looks better and the tapered octagon barrels look really nice.
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

I, too, like the looks of straight tapered octagons. Browning made some Low Walls in .260 over a decade ago that had a very fine taper at the muzzle and a nice tulip at the receiver; it was one striking looking piece. Marlin looks to have used a fine taper at the muzzle, too; but my part of the county doesn't have many (any?) to look at.

The only thing I don't like about the octagons is the blueing tends to wear more rapidly on the corners. Rounds wear more evenly--plus they are less expensive, and they can be made lighter than a straight taper octagon.

I'll keep my eye open for an 1893 or 93, to have a look for myself.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

The early 1970's Browning B78 Single-shot were available in most calibers other than .45-70 with either a semi-heavy RB and a beautifully-tapered 26" octagonal bbl that I really liked for hunting/shooting.

About the same time (1973-only), Marlin issued a "M336 Octagon" that IIRC had a 22" tapered octagonal bbl similar to the Marlin "Presentation" & Zane Grey commemorative M336's.
I've seen them, but unfortunately never was able to get my paws on one.

Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mike Armstrong »

What I never could figure out was why "half-round-half-octagon" barrels put the octagon part in the forend and the round part out front!

It seems to me that stocking these would be much cheaper and faster the other way around, but I never saw an original gun done that way. All the ones I've seen were modern custom jobs, and there are very few of those. I only knew one gunsmith that made replacement barrels that way.

Much easier to make a forend for a round barrel profile! And the octagon front portion is naturally lighter than the round back part, even if it's untapered.

Did they have a good reason for doing it that way, beyond just "tradition"? The kinds of machinery available in the 19th C.?????
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The half rounds just have the octagon turned off - lightens the forward section.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

As I understand it, the reasoning behind the ½ round/½ octagon configuration was to gain the stiffness of the octagon and the reduced weight of the round barrel. And for handling purposes, the lighter weight of a round portion at the muzzle is much better than having a heavier lump out there! Often why folks don't like even a full octagon. I can't imagine that anyone would like the balance of having the octagon/round portions reversed.

An octagon of x dimension across the flats will be stiffer than the equilavent round barrel... if the same types of steels are used. It is my belief that less taper in round barrels would yield a nearly identical weight balance between both the octagon and round barrel versions, regardless of their relative weights.

While I have a couple of Winchester 26" octagon barrels, I don't have a round barrel rifle... only carbines. So, I can't test that theory. Also, I ain't so sure that I trust published weights all that much. I have as much as ¾ lb difference between my heaviest Winchester 94 and the lightest, all being in the same configuration. Which I attribute to wood density... as there's a visible difference in the grain and figure in them.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
QCI Winchesters
Levergunner 2.0

Post by QCI Winchesters »

I have handled 26" 1894's in both round and octagon barrels, and the octagon in the same calibre does seem a bit heavier in the muzzle. The nicest balanced 1894 I have held was a .30WCF calibre with 24" octagon barrel. It was an original, too, not cut down. The blighter that owned sent it off to be D&T'd for a Weaver side mount. :cry:
When you have to shoot, shoot! Don't talk!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

My octagon 45-70 Marlin 'Cowboy' rifle is sure lighter than it would appear, unless the 9-shot magazine is full. . . :twisted:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

My Winoku 92 32-20 has the long octagon 24" barrel. With the small caliber hole the rifle is quite barrel heavy even though the octagon is tapered. Someday a mod to half round and a little chop to 22" is a possible plan.

I would like to float an idea. It seems many riflemen preferred barrel heavy rifles in the early times of the lever. Long barrels and front heavy rifles were common and often seem to be in the higher grades. Older books on marksmanship champion this feel. Many shooters talk about barrel heavy balance helps for a steady offhand hold. Personally I like a balance point just in front of the trigger guard for hand carry balance. I'm still not sold on the feel of my 92 but it is growing on me.

I suppose a long barrel is also a good thing for velocity, black powder, and sight radius for iron shooters in the day past.