Favorite bullets for Rossi 92 .357?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BuckRimfire
Levergunner

Favorite bullets for Rossi 92 .357?

Post by BuckRimfire »

tl;dr What bullets or molds work well for the Rossi, and at what velocities?

I recently bought a 92 .357 stainless 24" octagonal with the original front sight and a Skinner aperture on the barrel. I've shot it a couple of times with various handloads I've cooked up from bullets I had laying around, but only at 20 or 25 yards, so I can't say much about performance. I'll get it to the 100 yard range one of these days.

This is really intended as a range toy, so cheap and accurate are of more immediate interest than terminal performance. Covering all bases is nice, so I would like to have *some* defense or hunting ammo, but it's not a top priority. I have about half a box each of Sierra 125gr, and XTP 180 grain JHPs that could serve for those roles.

Complicating this is the fact that, although I'm semi-actively looking for a K-frame magnum, my only other .357 at the moment is a GP100 with fixed sights. It likes heavy bullets: Keith 358429s or 180 grain XTPs shoot pretty much straight to the sights; 125s land way low. 158s seem OK, but I haven't played with them enough to be sure if these or the heavy slugs are better for that revo. If possible, I'd shoot the same bullets in both guns. OTOH, my shaky hands need all the help they can get, so if a lighter bullet shoots much smaller groups in the rifle, I could probably live with planning for that. I'm willing to get a new front sight for the Rossi, if that's the only thing between me and using a heavy bullet successfully in both guns.

I don't currently cast, but I have a couple hundred pounds of free lead that's burning a hole in my pocket. So, I'm reconsidering giving casting a try. My total shooting volume is low, so only cheap (read: Lee) molds really make since to purchase for the small number of rounds I'll need. I'd be interested in hearing about other brands, but it would be a hard sell.
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Favorite bullets for Rossi 92 .357?

Post by yooper2 »

I've had good luck with 358429 in my Rossi, although sizing to fit the throat (which is rather generous on my rifle) is critical and velocity must be kept below 1800 fps. Another favorite of mine is the Remington 180 gr. hollowpoint. It is a bit tough to get at times but performs well on game ranging from porkies to deer. 2400 is my go to powder.

Eric
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

If your GP 100 likes 180s, then go with that. My Rossi likes 180s better than 156s (though the 156s are still quite adequate.)

I cast & load a custom 358180 WFNGC and push them pretty hard (1800fps from my 20"). They are still safe in my SP101 and move to 1200 from the 2.5" tube.

However, when I was shooting steel sillouhettes I backed off to about 1600fps and got just a scosch more accuracy for the turkeys but still had enough poop to take the Rams.

Have fun with the Rossi & Ruger. They make a jim-dandy combo.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

My marlin levergun really likes the ranch dog 195 grain cast lead bullets
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
BuckRimfire
Levergunner

Post by BuckRimfire »

Old Ironsights wrote:If your GP 100 likes 180s, then go with that. My Rossi likes 180s better than 156s (though the 156s are still quite adequate.)

I cast & load a custom 358180 WFNGC and push them pretty hard (1800fps from my 20"). They are still safe in my SP101 and move to 1200 from the 2.5" tube.
Anything like this one?
http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_in ... g1qb913pr1
I'm surprised Lee hasn't jumped on the heavy-for-caliber mold for .357, like their 310 grain .44 mold.

Does the original front sight work with that, or did you need a taller one?
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

BuckRimfire wrote:
Old Ironsights wrote:If your GP 100 likes 180s, then go with that. My Rossi likes 180s better than 156s (though the 156s are still quite adequate.)

Anything like this one?
http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_in ... g1qb913pr1
I'm surprised Lee hasn't jumped on the heavy-for-caliber mold for .357, like their 310 grain .44 mold.
Close. http://castbullet.com/shooting/rossi-s3.htm

I do like the NOE HP pin setup though. Since the Above design is basically unobtanium unless you have Mountain Molds or Veral make it for you, I'd go with the NOE.
Does the original front sight work with that, or did you need a taller one?
Dunno. I've always run with a Williams FP and that DOES require a taller front sight...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

In my Puma 357 rifle, I found the Berry's Plated Bullets 125 grain to be more accurate than any other I tried.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

As you are semi-actively looking for a K-frame, do not bother looking at loads below 148 grains as the jump of the shorter bullet to the impact of the forcing cone has a bad habit of cracking the barrel where it is cut out for the crane. No problems with heavy bullets though. Although a steady diet of 1500 fps 158s will shoot one loose eventually requiring a rebuild.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Old Ironsights wrote:
Close. http://castbullet.com/shooting/rossi-s3.htm

Yep, that is THE bullet for the 357 carbine.
NRA Life Member
BuckRimfire
Levergunner

Post by BuckRimfire »

Tycer wrote:As you are semi-actively looking for a K-frame, do not bother looking at loads below 148 grains as the jump of the shorter bullet to the impact of the forcing cone has a bad habit of cracking the barrel where it is cut out for the crane. No problems with heavy bullets though. Although a steady diet of 1500 fps 158s will shoot one loose eventually requiring a rebuild.
If I find a Model 19 in good shape, I'm not likely to put enough hard miles on it that you'd notice. I'm interested in it mainly for recreational target work (aka plinking) so I'd feed it mostly .357 starting loads or .38 +P level stuff, just warm enough to know that you're not shooting its .22LR sister. I have a couple of Rugers for flattening primers and bruising hands. :mrgreen: