A couple canes for Joe

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jfwlb
Levergunner 2.0

A couple canes for Joe

Post by jfwlb »

I read about J. Miller's woes a couple of weeks back and thought, maybe I can help a friend in need. So this is the result.

My Father has been disabled for some time. He has progressed from using a cane to get around to now needing a wheelchair(mostly). When I read that Joe needed a cane but was getting the runaround I thought to myself, "self, you can do something to help" Unfortunately it did not turn out as planned. I had remembered(wrongly) that Dad had a plethora of canes that he no longer used and I could send them to Joe to help out. I could have sworn that he had at least a dozen to pick from.

When I actually got to his house(Dad's), I discovered I was woefully wrong. There were only two that were available, and one of them was missing a part. A very important part. But I dutifully packed them up and sent them to Joe, who received them and thanked me profusely.

Anyway, I took a couple of pictures of the canes to give you an idea of what I sent and also to hopefully cheer up Joe a little bit in his current condition:
forgive my picture taking ability, but hey, there's no toes!

Joe, here's to hoping you keep on getting better and better. I hope I helped in some small way, but if not, if you get better that's the only thing that counts.

If you want to know more about the pics, just ask.

Joe's friend,
John
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: A couple canes for Joe

Post by gamekeeper »

Nice collection of cap and ball revolvers but what is that small revolver with the spur trigger in the first photo?

The cane was a cool idea to help keep Joe mobile.... :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I want a cane to expel at LEAST a .357, if not a .410... :twisted:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

That's very nice of you to do that for Joe!!!

Thanks for the pix also, nice GUNS :mrgreen:

ollogger
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

That's was nice of you. I was riding thru a small town yesterday and saw a "old" guy working on a bicycle in his driveway.. I rode by, but turned around and asked him if he had it under control?. He said NO, rear brake was rubbing. 10 mins later and he couldn't believe how well it worked. Wanted to pay so I told him a $100 or a cold pop.. Dr. Thunder aint bad when its cold.

Really like your display of BP pistols. :mrgreen: IDKW but your post reminded of the song "Hey Joe" by Carl Smith. :) 3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Hey John,

That long cane with the lever in the last couple pics wasn't in the box with the other ones. You forget to pack it?

Seriously now .... naw can't do that.

I took the two canes and my 6 1/2 foot walking stick with the hand carved morel mushroom on top to the local hospital store that sells canes, wheel chairs, walkers and other aids and got new rubber footsies for them all. The folks at the store were enthralled by the mushroom and we chatted for quite a while.

I like the wooden cane best and we were all trying to figure out what critter the handle was patterned after. We came to the conclusion it was a whale or fish of some kind.

I'm all set for walking aids now, thanks a bunch, I'll put them to good use. I like the regular canes a lot more than the one with the quad feet the Dr prescribed. The only thing about it is it stands up on it's own.
Other than that it's more than I need at this time.

They do make good prods when my wife gets in the way and doesn't walk fast enough .... :twisted: :lol:

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
jfwlb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jfwlb »

Game Keeper: Good eye! The pistol you noticed is actually a Marlin! I don't know nuch about it, other than it says "XXXStandard 1873" across the top of the barrel and has the Marlin, Newhaven, CT address and an 1873 pat. stamped on the side of the barrel. It does look to be nickel-plated and engraved, but I don't know if that was done at the factory or after. I don't even know what caliber it is.

Actually, I have two of these, with the other one in better shape but no engraving. Someday I'll get around to cleaning them up and doing more research on them. Maybe somebody here knows more? I think I have another picture around here somewhere;

Here it is:

Me too OI! Unfortunately, here in The People's Republic they are verboten.

Thanks ollogger!

3leggedturtle, Nice of you also! Dr Thunder, haven't heard of that pop before. Must be a local thing. Does it taste like Dr. Pepper?

Hey Joe! What do you mean it wasn't there? I was sure I put it in with the others. Oh well, it must have slipped out of the box at the last minute. :lol:

Glad to see you got them all fixed up and are putting them to good use.

I don't know either about the critter, I was thinking maybe some kind of sea serpent?

John
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Dr. Thunder can be found anywhere Wal Mart is. It is Wal Mart's attempt to duplicate the Waco(known as a Dr. Pepper outside of the town where it was born).
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
jfwlb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jfwlb »

Thanks piller,

I had absolutely no clue to the information you just gave! I love learning something new!

And BTW, I try to stay as far away from WallyWorld as I can.

Thanks again,

John
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

jfwlb wrote:Game Keeper: Good eye! The pistol you noticed is actually a Marlin! I don't know nuch about it, other than it says "XXXStandard 1873" across the top of the barrel and has the Marlin, Newhaven, CT address and an 1873 pat. stamped on the side of the barrel. It does look to be nickel-plated and engraved, but I don't know if that was done at the factory or after. I don't even know what caliber it is.

Actually, I have two of these, with the other one in better shape but no engraving. Someday I'll get around to cleaning them up and doing more research on them. Maybe somebody here knows more? I think I have another picture around here somewhere;

Here it is:

John
I thought I recogised it, mine is a .32 rimfire. Thanks for the photos.. 8)
jfwlb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jfwlb »

Nice one game keeper! They look like they are the same, except for the grips. Is yours a Marlin also? What do the grips say, I can't make it out?

Also a question: I know you live in UK, but I thought all handguns were banned there? Is the reason you can keep it because of it's age? Or maybe because of the obsolete calibre?

John
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Yup, it's a Marlin with the same address and patent as yours.
On top of the barrel it says No32Standard1873. A .310 R/B drops into the chamber but is a tight fit in the barrel.

The grips have M.F.A.Co. on them, they look brand new with not a mark on them, replacement maybe?

Here in the Nanny State of the UK we can have handguns that are of obsolete calibre or muzzle loaders with little trouble but modern cartridge handguns require jumping through too many hoops and all the restrictions on their use makes it a waste of time. :roll:
I'm currently looking for a top break revolver in .320 British to add to my collection of one revolver.. :oops: