Any LEOs want to share lever action patrol carry stories?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Any LEOs want to share lever action patrol carry stories?

Post by Canuck Bob »

I'm back in the hospital without a gall bladder! I'm on the mend and full of high power drugs.

I'm bored and have always been interested in stories from the modern era of lever actions, as opposed to the wild west, and man hunts or self defence encounters by LEOs. Hoping to hear action stories or discussions of how and why levers are suited for such tasks.

Maybe my favorite stories go something like this. The young lads made fun of the old guy with an antique until....
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Any LEOs want to share lever action patrol carry stories

Post by BigSky56 »

Bob sorry you are in a bind God speed to you. danny
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

BigSky56 wrote:Bob sorry you are in a bind God speed to you. danny
+ 1
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
44-40 Willy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44-40 Willy »

I know a deputy sheriff who carries a 357 revolver and a Marlin 1894C in his car.

Hope you get all healed up.
44-40 Winchester. Whacking varmits and putting meat on the table since 1873.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Get well soon.

Many, many years ago I worked as a security guard nights while in college. They mandated we carry .357 Magnum revolvers. No problem; I would have anyway. I supplemented this with a Marlin 1894c as well. Would carry it when I had to do foot patrol at 3:00am around some of the buildings, especially those still under construction. Like any site, you always had to worry about stuff "walking off". Never needed it, but it sure felt good to have it handy!
1894c

Post by 1894c »

he's the stuff that I have heard from the older sheep dogs in the LE Agency that I serve...back in the 30's to the 60's many of our LEO's use to carry a Winchester 94 30-30 as an early form of a patrol rifle, they said that it was very effective with certain applications, and a great equalizer when things got crowded...I have also read that the California Highway Patrol used to carry Win.94's too...

in my chunk of the earth we have the Pacific Coast Militia Rangers (PCMR) which protected British Columbia with Win.94's (see attached) during WWII. plus, Sarge, who is a member here, and an LEO (he has a blog sight -- sixgun journal) has used a Win.94 as a partrol rifle too...GET WELL SOON... :)

http://members.shaw.ca/nambuworld2/pcmr.htm
http://www.thesixgunjournal.net/in-defe ... inchester/
Image0352-225x300.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MikeNV
Levergunner 1.0

Post by MikeNV »

While I didn't carry a levergun on patrol, a couple of decades ago I did respond to a call of a domestic disturbance where the male unleashed a 30-30 Winchester on his girlfriend and then turned it on himself. While the scene was quite a mess.... striking the female in the base of the neck at just across the room distance and then turning the gun under his chin/neck area. I remember thinking, that this round being at the time almost 100yrs old was still VERY effective manstopper and much underestimated in our "tactical world".

PS... Get well soon.
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

Not a story about levers, but it is about the "young lads made fun of the old guy with an antique until". I took my carry class with about 18 other folks. All were younger than me. Three or four had double-action revolver, all the rest had new-fangled plastic guns. When we got to the range, I pulled out my OM single-six and was met with hoo-haas by the whipper-snappers. When the dust cleared, they were bowing down to the lowly single-six. While all my shots fell within the 9-ring, most were in the 10-ring. All the others targets were shot all over the place.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Back in the 70's we had a patrol Sgt. that carried a '73 Yellow Boy in .38 spcl. I never saw him even take it out of the rack. I guess it offered him peace of mind.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
K1500
Levergunner 2.0

Post by K1500 »

I'm not a LEO but I used to hunt with a fellow who had a pre 64 winchester '94. He claimed it used to belong to the county sheriff and had been put to its intended use at least once. It was a pretty gun and the story added to the mystique (even if it wasn't true).
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

On the other side of the spectrum one of my current instructors has been in multiple shootings, and his first involved and old guy who wanted to go out with a bang apparently.

He ended up getting shot in the nuts (just the way it worked out with the angles) and dropped his Winchester 94 in a hurry... he'd already fired 2-3 rounds at the pair of them and there was effectively no cover for them that'd stop a .30 round.
Udy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Udy »

Its fiction, but if you want to read a good story check out Pat McManus's Newer Bo Tully Novels, its good stuff.
Bo Tully plays the sheriff of Blight Co. Idaho, and his old man Pap used to be the sheriff. Pap packs around a 94 30-30 that he used in his sheriffing days, and he makes sure he is involved when ever Bo gets into a shoot out situation.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Get well Bob. If it hurts to laugh, read no further. 2 stories:

#1: As a reserve deputy in Texas, working Sunday day shift, solo local LEO in the unincorporated parts of the county, I got a call to respond to a dog bite. I arrived at the address, to find no one out on the road. As I got out of my squad, the folks in the closest house yelled something and pointed up the street. Tied up in their neighbor's yard, about 300 yards away, was a slobberin', growlin' pitbull. We didn't have an animal control, but the city did. Finally got him to respond and he tranq'd it. They weren't home, but also had a 2 yo mountain lion caged in the back yard. A call to the Sheriff and we confiscated it also... (to be tested, don't ya know). Anyway the dog had to be destroyed and the humane society took the cat as it was malnurished and had some kinda infection. The vet and Dr.'s bills for the neighbors bills were quite high. Guy made certain threats... And I began to question the carrying of a shotgun in such open country, so I asked if I coulld carry a rifle. Sheriff said if I supplied it, ok, but had to qualify with it. So, after finding that the only one I owned that fit in the rack was a mdl 94... with the addition of a little foam.

So... a week later 4 of us deputies, the Sgt & Sheriff, show up at the range, 3 ARs and a mdl 94. The "Range Officer" and quaifying person was one of our patrol sgts. Also a certified sniper... per State requirements, having recv'd the requisite training and and shooting a qualifying score. He had his mdl 70 in .308 as his training tool. Sheriff was there as an obsever and to call the start and cease fire insdtructions. When the Sgt (who was a bit of a puffed up officious pig), asked that I be excluded for not having a "proper" weapon, said, "...it's his life he's gambling on it with, let's reserve judgement till the shooting's done." (Need I mention that the sheriff was a great guy to work for)?

we only had a 50 yard range, so we used reduced size tagets. we only fired 10 shots. 5 from 15 yards, as individual shots from a low ready start position with a time limit of 2 seconds to get off each shot. Then we moved back to 50 yards and had 2 (IIRC) minutes to fire the remaining 5. Whereas the Sgt had a nice 5 shot group in the black... all ten of mine were. YeHAW! Top score! I think it had more to do with shooting position, while all them stood firing off-hand, I dropped to a kneeling position to shot that last 5 shots.

#2: Nope, not in writing. I ain't a choirboy, nor was this "bad", but I'm stickin' to the 5th. I'd just hate to be "mis-intepreted".
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I am not a big reader, but CHOIRBOYS did manage to keep my interest!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”